sports medicine fellowship match results came out...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oreosandsake

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
surprised no one has said anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It would be MUCH appreciated if a few folks would talk about fellowships they applied to. Kind of like the interview trail threads, but for fellowships. I'd really love to hear what's out there and how the fellowships differ. Thanks in advance!

Maybe with EMG and US cuts folks are wondering why they bothered?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll post some information this weekend.

I matched this week, so have some information on it. Match rate was 41%. Here's a brief overview of a few of the programs, mostly out west, in alphabetical order, as objectively as I can. I didn't apply to many programs, so others will have to chip in (and please correct my mistakes if I make any, I'm going off memory). I'm trying to leave physician names out as well.
  1. RIC/Northwestern
    • Focus primarily on clinic and spine. Lumbar injections, SIJ, hip, MBB. Heavy on fluoro.
    • Two fellowship spots, endowed fellowship (i.e. no responsibilities to "pay" for your fellowship), very flexible and self-tailored
    • Teach/attend several sports lectures to the residents one afternoon per week, Journal clubs run by residents/fellows every Monday morning at 7am.
    • Sports/spine center is located about 3/4 mile from RIC. New hospital to be built in a couple of years.
    • Team coverage with Northwestern in Evanston (15 miles away), lots of opportunities for race coverage (running)
    • Overall academic focus
  2. Stanford
    • Two spots this year, the new one through the VA. No word at the time of the interview what this will entail. The VA fellowship is run by an orthopedic surgeon.
    • A lot of ultrasound with one of the attendings in particular, good exposure to axial injections
    • Tons of sports coverage with Stanford athletics
    • I was told no call or coverage to pay for the fellowship
    • Two sites - orthopedic center, which is about 3 miles from Stanford University
    • PM&R is under the ortho department
    • Academic focus
  3. UC Davis
    • 1 spot this year, 2 last. year
    • No axial injections, but possibly can do it through community docs if you're interested
    • Tons of sports coverage, a lot of local high school and college stuff
    • Oldest sports fellowship through PM&R
    • Relatively small program, but seemed close-knit
    • Pretty geographically centralized, the furthest drive seemed to be about 30 minutes
    • Program director appears very involved with his fellows
  4. University of Utah
    • 1 PM&R spot (you work with 2 FM and 1 ER fellow - all are treated the same, but you have your own 1/2 day clinic, for PM&R it is EMGs)
    • Attendings are orthopedic, ER, PM&R, and family med trained - there appears to be little distinction between the three when they work.
    • A lot of ski coverage, acute care on the mountain. Running clinic. Race coverage.
    • U of U sports coverage, you also get your own high school football team to watch for the season
    • Large orthopedic center, very closely integrated with orthopedic surgery. Seemed to be a very collegial atmosphere without much ego.
    • Early morning conferences with ortho 5 days per week
    • Seemed that it was fairly centralized to the University area except for some distant football coverage.
    • 1/2 day of axial injections weekly.
    • Past PM&R fellows went on to small academic jobs primarily.

Thanks for the updated reviews on these programs... keep them coming!

Great reviews I would help future applicants if we also knew what a reasonable amount of program we should apply to, PM&R vs Family, and any distinguishing feature we should have on our application(event coverage, research ect)

Matched last week as well. Heard less than 50% match rate for PM&R applicants, but had no idea low as 42%. <50% two years in a row. Before I discuss programs I interviewed with, I will say I interviewed at about 50:50 PM&R based Sports fellowships and Primary Care Based Sports Fellowships that either always took PM&R applicant or had a designated PM&R spot.

The biggest thing about the PCSM fellowships is making sure they will allow you PM&R continuity and not just stick you in Urgent Care or a primary care based clinic and call it continuity. Also, the amount of spine clinic and interventions PM&R fellows get varies from program to program. I wanted to do mainly sports, MSK, and US, but I still love comprehensive and interventional spine care. Most of the good jobs I have found in areas I want to live want the outpatient sports providers to do some spine and EMG, including axial injections. So be aware of that. You probably can get away with just doing all sports and MSK in an academic setting, but honestly the majority of the providers that do sports at my home institution also have spine center, amputee, or general PM&R clinic responsibilities.

My residency program is arguably among the strongest at MSK US and MSK in the country (I know the other 13 programs that have sports fellowships are also strong in this regard for their residents and so are many others). However, I only got exposure to HS and amateur sports coverage during residency, and as a former collegiate athlete, I looked at programs outside my home institution with strong university D1 collegiate coverage and pro coverage opportunities. I wanted to be able to be a team doc for U of whoever and have experience covering high level sports, if the right opportunity ever presented itself.

All the PM&R sports fellowships are great, but geographically majority of them are on coasts, which did not work for me or my wife, nor where we wanted to eventually end up. So I applied to all the midwest PM&R sports programs (except Washington U in St Louis), and family medicine based fellowships in midwest, Texas, and Rocky Mountain regions.

I would highly advise the next crop of applicants to at least consider the primary care sports fellowships that accept PM&R & understand PM&R applicants practice goals. Most of these programs have great US training, Division 1 A sports coverage, +/- olympic or pro coverage, and many have experiences with axial fluoroscopy spine & peripheral joint injections.

You can go the unaccredited Sports & Spine route, but honestly, I think waist of a year, unless you have not had much procedural experience in residency, which for me was not the case. I wanted to continued developing skills, develop higher level sports medicine abilities, and be able to sit for my sports medicine subspeciality boards.

I applied to 10 programs on ERAS (because you pay the same price for 1 or 10), interviewed with seven, and ranked 6 of them (1 place just would not have been good fit for me or them).

University of Iowa- Really Strong Program. Interviews PM&R, Family Med, Internal Med, and ED. Has yet to take a PM&R applicant, but I got the sense they would like to. Dr. Hall, former Mayo sports fellowship grad, is main PM&R guy. He teaches US at national level including for AIUM and AAPMR. Covers mostly running sports. Does most of diagnostic US and US guided interventions in the brand new sports and ortho center. Wants to gradually make his fellows autonomous with these procedures. Doing PRP, tenotomy, FAST, stem cell, and bread and butter steroid injections and nerve blocks. Program director is great. 2 fellows/ year, and they say they rank to get the two best applicants, regardless of primary speciality. Each fellow has a large local HS that they are primary team docs for. Fellows alternate covering the home and away Iowa football games. Cover university bball, wrestling, track and field, and field hockey, plus club sports like ice hockey. The two downside for me was the PD mentioned putting me in the urgent care which sees primarily MSK complaints for continuity. There was mention of getting me over to do EMG and PM&R clinic with the PM&R group through the university as well. The other downside was downplaying any opportunity for clinical or interventional spine care, which was high priority for me. However, I think this young fellowship is one of the better in midwest especially with Dr. Hall there, and they will take a PM&R applicant soon.

Utah- Great fellowship, one of my tops. I have fortune of having three friends and colleagues be the last fellows there from my program. Primary Care based and funded fellowship, but has one PM&R, one FP, one ED, and one wildcard (other best applicant spot, but only ever take 2 PM&R once to my knowledge). Great EMG, US, Axial Spine injection exposure. Cover D1 Utah sports with emphasis on football coverage. Each fellow has own hs football team. Plus they cover olympic skiing, speedskating, louge, bobsled, and dew tour, plus ski clinic in Park City Utah. Some might argue this is the most comprehensive fellowship for a PM&R appicant, and truly one of the best. Dr. Willick the current PD is PM&R and well known and respected. Mike Henrie is a former fellow and very big in US education. The only downside was the current and former PM&R fellows said you better know your EMG before stariting, and the former PM&R fellows felt they were teaching most of the other fellows US scanning and injection stuff, so maybe not the strongest in US...yet. Last three PM&R fellows have either got jobs in private PM&R/Ortho groups or Academics.

Colorado- Applied and got interview, which was a shock. The PD and assistant PD told me I was the first PM&R applicant they had ever interviewed. This may be because is a highly PC based fellowship, but Dr. Hill the PD is one of the most experience clinicians in MSK US out there, and has taught at the AMSSM US courses many years. Take 1 fellow per year, and I guess they interview all comers including PM&R now, even though website does not list PM&R as accepted specialty. I would email them before I put them into ERAS as program applied to. They told me the U of Colorado has tried for many years to create PM&R based sports fellowship or spot, but funding has been tough. The PM&R pain fellows do help cover some of the sporting events, but they cannot sit for sports boards now with ACMGE rule changes. Its a great fellowship. Cover both U of Colorado and Denver University Sports. They have separate Pediatric Sports spot, so their are two fellows each year that split coverage. Each fellow has own HS football team. US clinic weekly with diagnostic and procedures. Bike fitting clinic which is unique. They told me I could continue EMG continuity and maybe rotate with CU spine center as well. Continuity would also be working with Dr. Saint Phard, former mayo sports fellow, in womens sports clinic. Also do ski clinic for month at winter park, and multiple Leadville 500 run races, including in mountains. It was one of my top places since I hoped to open door for PM&R applicants at this program. Hopefully, getting an interview and being ranked was first step. The only negative was driving from boulder campus outside of NW Denver, down to south Denver where DU and sports clinic is. Lots of driving around the denver-boulder metro per fellows. They are also looking for self-directed people that do not need much structure per current FM fellow.

Medical College of Wisconsin- One of the PM&R fellowships I applied to. Was familiar from interviewing there from residency, and heard nothing but great things from former residents from my program who had interviewed there. Given my familiarity with campus. hospital, and sports med center, I chose to interview at AAPMR meeting, which I would reccomend you do for as many places that offer it. It is worth the savings on flight, hotel, and driving. Dr. Hoch the PD is great. Very sweet and bright lady. This program has large focus on female athletes and performing arts medicine, which is unique. They have taken male applicants in past. They have a primary care fellowship too, and you work with the PCSM folks, Ortho sports, and PM&R docs. They cover local HS, ballet, and some pro sports like Brewers baseball. You have your own all girls HS. Dr. Hoch is also doing lots of US, which I think is key. I never made it for a rotation or out to Milwaukee after my interview, but I would have been happy to match here. I think one of the stronger sports spots, but with unique focus and strengths. One of last fellows on staff at U Washington now.

Mayo- Not much more can be said. Likely the strongest training in MSK US and MSK anatomy one can get as fellow or resident. PM&R and Orthopedics are only sports docs in sports medicine center, which is unique. Mayo just built new multimillion dollar sports medicine and athletic training performance center which opens this year. Hoping to attract the elite athletes from all over the world. It has field turf, ice for ice hockey, and a half basketball court in it....no surprise for the world famous. Rumor is this opportunity has opened up coverage relationship with one or two of major twin cities sports teams (not vikings or twins per rumor). Dr. Smith the PD is one of the most well recognized innovators in PM&R and sports medicine. He probably has done more to bring MSK US to forefront of our speciality than anyone IMHO. Fellows get weekly US practice, access to own machine for practice, practice doing procedures with US in cadaver lab, and Dr. Smith and Sellon are doing PRP, tenonotomy, FAST, and starting to use stem cells as well. Lots of research into regenerative medicine therapies. You do EMG clinic once per week with Neuro and PM&R folks. You cover local community college sports including football, semipro/amateur hockey with ortho fellow, your own hs football and hockey teams. You rotate with sports psych, ortho, hand clinic, podiatry, and MSK clinic with PM&R staff. Ortho and PM&R sports fellow responsible for running friday sports conference, which typically falls on PM&R fellows to do list most weeks.You also are responsible for teaching residents US and MSK didactics and organizing AIUM US course in summer. You can do two-four week electives in spine center and pain for axial procedures (but this is not emphasis of fellowship). Great fellowship, one of my tops as well. One of the best PM&R based fellowships. Last groups of fellows in large academic groups including Mayo, Iowa, Cleveland Clinic Florida, and U of Washington.

JPS Sports and Orthopedics- Largest sports fellowship in country. Takes 6 fellows per year from all primary care sports specialities incuding PM&R. Have taken at least 1-2 PM&R for last 4 years. Including fellows from TIRR (Baylor-UT houston alliance), JFK, and Mayo. Covers all of high schools for Arlington and Fort Worth Texas school districts. Team physicians for Texas Christian University Athletics including training room clinic once per week and game coverage, which focus is football. Have 4 sports medicine clinics/week. Ultrasound clinic with procedures and scanning. Weekly fluoroscopy clinic for axial procedures with pain/sports docs. Rotate with ortho, podiatry, hand clinic, private sports med, pediatric sports, ect. Race coverage and pro rodeo coverage for trauma experience. Functions much like Utah's fellowship with PM&R, FM, and Peds sports docs (minus mountains & skiing) Super friendly and happy fellows and staff. Very supportive. Dr. Clarke, PM&R, who just completed fellowship two years ago is great. She has Friday PM&R clinic with spasticity management, spine care, and general PM&R problems. Additionally, you continue to do EMG with PM&R providers who perform EMGs in sports and Ortho clinic. Comprehensive fellowship with great resources. One of my tops as well. Fellows have obtained academic jobs all over and sports and spine jobs as well.

RIC/NW-Very spine heavy. PD Dr. Ihm very nice and also interviewed with three of their staff at AAPMR. Dr. Rho is doing much of US there, and is a young shining star in academic sports/spine PM&R. She is apparently 75% research, so not sure of volume of US training available given this. Dr. Ihm PD was vague on amount of autonomy fellows receive. Sounds like fellows do not get their own patients, plus do not get to start doing interventions until 3 months in. Do teach residents spine and sports didactics. I got that they do race/marathon coverage, and some lower level NW sports (lacrosse and maybe soccer), but no defined HS team or other higher level coverage. One of their more seasoned staff noted they do not have many sports team relationships because current RIC residents have not been that invested in coverage in residency (their words not mine). I think this is a great fellowship for those interested only in sports and spine. I did not get feel that if you want to do sports sports, this would be the best fit for you. You get the RIC name and resources, and many big sports names in PM&R including Hoch and Willick have come out of this fellowship. Just not best fit for me personally.

Other places I have heard are good are Washington, Stanford, Emory for PM&R based fellowships. Cleveland Clinic and U of Florida for PM&R friendly primary care programs.

All places had research focus with expected presentation and publication. All places got their fellows to AMMSM or ACSM with many fitting bill for review course as well.

PM me if you want to know more. I also have list of PCSM programs that take PM&R that Ken Mautner, PD at Emory gave me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The match statistics are obscure if you look at them carefully. From the post-match data I have access to, I couldn't figure out how many applicants were from PM&R residencies.

There were, however, 22 applicants who ranked a PM&R fellowship #1 on their list (the "preferred specialty"). 9 of these 22 matched into a PM&R program, 3 matched to a non-PM&R spot, and the rest (10) didn't match anywhere. 41% of the 22 people (9/22) who ranked a PM&R program #1 matched, which is the number quoted above. There could be many PM&R applicants who ranked non-PM&R programs #1 on their list who were not counted among 22.

Unless there's other data available, we don't know for sure what the success rate is for PM&R residents applying to non-operative ACGME sports medicine fellowships in general.

Overall, 74% of all applicants applying to FM, EM, Peds, and PM&R fellowships matched, which is a healthier sounding number.

The match statistics are obscure if you look at them carefully. From the post-match data I have access to, I couldn't figure out how many applicants were from PM&R residencies.

There were, however, 22 applicants who ranked a PM&R fellowship #1 on their list (the "preferred specialty"). 9 of these 22 matched into a PM&R program, 3 matched to a non-PM&R spot, and the rest (10) didn't match anywhere. 41% of the 22 people (9/22) who ranked a PM&R program #1 matched, which is the number quoted above. There could be many PM&R applicants who ranked non-PM&R programs #1 on their list who were not counted among 22.

Unless there's other data available, we don't know for sure what the success rate is for PM&R residents applying to non-operative ACGME sports medicine fellowships in general.

Overall, 74% of all applicants applying to FM, EM, Peds, and PM&R fellowships matched, which is a healthier sounding number.

Yes I looked at the match outcoems today, which is good news! I did hear around 50% from an assistant sports PD though.

Absolutely right about the match statistics. I was just trying to distill it down into one number as much as possible. Maybe a better way of putting it would be to show that 45% of applicants who ranked a PM&R fellowship first did not match (41% matched into a PM&R program, 14% matched into a different specialty). For people who applied to multiple specialties, the numbers are a lot cloudier. Also, here's another review:

Washington University, St. Louis:
  • Amazing research opportunities through PM&R and ortho
  • Appeared to be a great relationship between ortho and PM&R, primarily due to program director's work and respect
  • Extremely personable and nice faculty
  • Academic focus
  • Two clinics, one at the main medical campus, one in Chesterfield (15 mile drive).
  • Huge park (Forest Park) adjacent to main hospital
  • Coverage with HS football, college sports, some work with St. Louis Rams
  • Lumbar injections, a lot of MSK US
  • Fellows leave very well-trained and prepared for "the real world"
  • My single take-away was how amazing the program director was and how she'd catapult a career.

Mt. Sinai New York Sports Medicine Program (Yes, it is now sports accredited by ACGME for 2 spots)
Program Director: Joseph Herrera, DO. is also a PD for their PM&R program. He trained at sports and spine at New York Presbyterian/Columbia-Cornell program. Very good interventional spine specialist who does lots of sports coverage including US boxing and New York Marathon. Attendings: You will be working with Dr. Parag Sheth who is also an interventionalist who will teach you cervical/lumbar epidurals as well as spinal cord stimualtor placement. Dr. Sheth completed his interventional spine fellowship at Mayo before it was a sports medicine fellowship. Another attending is Dr. Jonathan Kirschner whose clinical interest is more true sports than other two, and in MSK US and PRP. He has completed sports medicinefellowship with Michael Furman at Sinai Baltimore Sports Medicine Program (Probably most spine heavy sports-accredited program in the entire country, 90% spine 10% sports at Furman's) but he taught himself MSK US. He is the Elkins Award winner (given to highest scoring resident in the board exam in the country) and definitley the bright shining star of this program. Pros: over 1,000 interventional spine procedures with 750 MSK US interventions. Strong coverage in boxing. Manhattan is fun and lively.
Cons: it still lingers its nature as sports & spine, which this program used to be. Diagnostic US will be definitely the weakness unless they add on stronger diagnostic US person. It tends to focus on spine. I guess this can be pros depending on what you look for in fellowship.
Academic / Research focus: 3/5
Business focus: 5/5
MSK US-interventional: 3/5
MSK US-diagnostic: 3/5
EMG: 3/5
Spine: 5/5 (c-/l-spine, plus spinal cord stimulator trial)
Acute sports management: 2/5 (a few mass event coverage)

University of Illinois-Chicago Sports Medicine Program
Program Director: Terry Nicola, MD, is the PD for this long standing family medicine-run fellowship. He is trained at RIC and board certified in PM&R. Dr. Nicola is the running and triathlon doc, getting referral from all over the united states on challenging running/triathlon injuries.
Attending: Another attending you will be working closely with is Dr. Joseph Laluya, DO, who has a hybrid academic/private practice near MidWay airport in Chicago focusing on both sports as well as occupational injuries. Dr. Laluya was a fellow back in 1996 at this program. Though this is FP sports, they are PM&R and they prefer PM&R graduates for their fellowship. They cover all of University of Illinois division 1 collegiate events as well as local high school football and local mass events such as 10 miler, half marathon, or fulls.

Pros: You will learn running and triathlon biomechanics cold. Dr. Nicola is well published in Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine journal on this topic. Surprisingly strong on EMG expericnes. You will get about 200 additional EMGs.
Cons: Not sure how strong US is.
Academic / Research focus: 3/5
Business focus: 4/5
EMG: 4/5 (up to 2 half days per week, avg 200 cases per year per fellow)
Spine: 1/5 (basic non interventional low back/neck pain experience)
L6YPi8FnoqA9JYQqhAM3T1UsrztpdACq4_4a3BPMVXEggbpkYx4WK6tw4AxchQl-_btklRyuE1nVfptB0FSm-5oCTHy3jQ=s0-d-e1-ft
Acute sports management: 3/5 (basic casting, fracture management, suturing etc)

University of Wasghinton at St. Louis Sports Medicine Program
Program Director: Dr. Heidi Prather, DO, is one of the two PDs for this sports program. Her clinical interest is in young adult hip pathologies (acetofemoral impingement, labral tear, etc) and she has written many articles on it. Academically, she has served as the senior editor for the journal PM&R, and is president elect for NASS (North American Spine Society) as the only female president in the history of the organization. She does some spine procedures mainly in the lumbar area. The skill is one of the best and fastest I have seen. She also teaches very good physical examination including neural tension examination for bias. Dr. John Metzler is another co-founder of the program and is the other PD for the program. His clinical focus is ankle/foot injury.
Attending: Dr. Devyani Hunt is one of the 9 previous graduates from this sports medicine program. Her clinical interest is similar to Dr. Prather and is young adult hip. She also is interested in injuries common to performing artists. Dr. Tsi-Chai Tang is also a recent graduate from this program who has clinical interest in MSK US. He works with St. Louis Rams.

Pros: Very strong on acute sideline/sports experience. Strongly academic. Affiliated with and work with probably one of the strongest orthopedic departments in the nation. Dr. Heidi Prather will be the first female physician to become the president of NASS (North American Spine Society) for 2014-2015 academic year. Well balanced sports exposure overall (acute care, some interventional care for spine, strong emphasis on academicsports medicine and biomechanics, sports-specific EMG such as brachial plexopathy due to clavicular fracture).
Cons: Relative to other sports experience, US appears to be weaker.
Academic / Research focus: 5/5
Business focus: 1/5 (this is strongly an academic program)
MSK US-diagnostic: 2/5 (It seems Dr. Tsang is the only one who actively incooporates US to his practice)
EMG: 4/5 (one half day a week, typically on acute ortho patients)
Spine-4/5 (no cervical spine procedure. Spine clinic is focused on lumbar experience, with opportunity to do procedures independently after completing 200 procedures under supervision.)
Acute sports management: 5/5 (twice a week of MSK urgent care experiences, plus additional optional experience at their brand new Acute Ortho Clinic)

Mayo Clinic Sports Medicine Program
Program Director: Jay Smith, MD, is the leader in MSK US in PM&R. He is well respected for his ability to utilize US diagnostically and interventionally. He is credited for his active utilization of US early on, and has trained many prominent sports physicians such as Jonathan Finnoff and Menderick Hall mentioned in previous posts.
Attendings: You will be working with Dr. Jacob Sellon-assistant progrma director of sports medicine and a recent graduate from Mayo Sports Medicine program. You will also be spending time with Dr. Laskoswki who is the original founder of sports medicine program at Mayo before Dr. Smith.

Pros: Most structured MSK US training program in the US. Fellow is given an ultrasound machine to take practice with during the fellowship. If you want to learn US, come here. Brand new sports medicine center opening in May of 2014. You will be able to join the Mayo alumni network.
Cons: Rochester. Your spouse may hate you for quite sometimes. One of the coldest places in the US.

Academic / Research focus: 4/5
Business focus: 3/5
MSK US-interventional: 5/5
MSK US-diagnostic: 5/5
EMG: 3/5 (structured didactic series, but at Mayo, you need subspeciality certification to actually do EMG)
Spine: 3/5 (choice of elective time in spine procedure)
Acute sports management: 4/5 (saturday ortho urgent clinic is an option to learn the management of acute injuries)

RIC Sports Medicine Program
Program Director: Dr. Joseph Ihm, MD is the program director for this program. He trained at Mayo for fellowship, and is able to manage both
sports and spine pathologies.

Attendings: You will be working with Dr. Joel Press-the chair of sports medicine department, and two young attendings-Dr. Monica Rho
who is a graduate from Washington University St. Louis program and Dr. Ellen Casey, who did sports fellowship at RIC and stayed as a faculty.
Both Dr. Rho and Dr. Casey are research heavy attending, spending 75% of their time in clinical researches.

Pros: Very structured, reserach-heavy program, with opportunities to go essentially anywhere after the fellowship due to its rich
connection as #1 program in the country for rehabilitaiton.

Cons: relative lack of autonomy as fellows

Academic / Research focus: 6/5
Business focus: 3/5
Spine: 4/5 (lumbar spine procedures are part of their core curriculums)
Acute sports management: 2/5 (covers several mass event)

NRH/MedStar/Georgetown Sports Medicine Program
Program Director: Dr. Arthur DeLuigi, DO is the program director. Trained at University of Utah sports medicine and worked at Walter
Reed Army Hospital, he started this program 3 years ago, and formed a very well rounded program in such a short amount of time.

Attendings: They have added 5 new attendings, one ER sports medicine physician, one US specialist, one interventional specialist, and 2
other sports medicine doctor.

Pros: It is one of the most well rounded sports medicine programs in the country, with balanced EMG, US, spine, acute management/sports
events coverage. The program truly believes in multidisciplinary approach to sports medicine, and you will be working with FP sports
medicine attendings, PMR sports medicine attendings, Ortho sports medicine attendings, and ER sports medicine attendings. He also does
tons of PRP.

Cons: Really cannot find any. Maybe being a young program may go against you when you look for a job, but Dr. DeLuigi has done such a tremendous
job building a well rounded program over a short course of time.

Academic / Research focus: 4/5
Business focus: 4/5
MSK US-interventional: 4/5
MSK US-diagnostic: 4/5
Spine: 4/5
Acute sports management: 3/5

I have had a few PMs (funny if you read it right way) about list of Primary Care Sports Medicine (PCSM) Fellowships that take/consider PM&R applicants. I believe some of the information on the list may be flawed. Feel free to PM me anytime for advice on sports, msk, US, spine, or PM&R in general. Any other PM&R topic/area probably best served for a another/better source ;) Please add or edit the list as you see fit with new updated information. It was provided a PM&R sports fellowship director that did a PCSM fellowship.

List of Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowships that consider/take a PMR resident

ASMI/Birmingham
New Director for 2013 (old Director Dr. Tracey Ray moved to Duke)
Becky J. Oxford, BS, MS PCSM Fellowship Coordinator
Phone: (205) 939-3699 Fax: (205) 314-2567 e-mail: [email protected]
2660 10th Avenue South, Suite 505
Birmingham, AL 35205
Kaiser Permanente Fontana
Program Director: Aaron Rubin, MD
(909)427-6375 or (909)427-5619 [email protected]
Kaiser Permanente Medical Center
9985 Sierra Avenue
Fontana, CA 92335

UCLA-Harbor
Bernadette Pendergraph, MD, Program Director
(310) 257-4991 Fax (310) 326-7205 www.harborfm.com
Harbor-UCLA/Team to Win Sports Medicine Fellowship
1403 W. Lomita Blvd 2nd Floor
Harbor City, CA 90710

Kaiser Permanente Southern California (Los Angeles) Program
Joseph P. Luftman, MD, Program Director
(323)783-5814 or (323)783-4030 [email protected]
Department of Family Medicine
Division of Sports Medicine
4950 Sunset Blvd, Suite 4B
Los Angeles, CA 90027

Christiana Care Health Services Program/University of Delaware
Jeffrey W. Dassel, MD, Program Director
(392)255-1350 or (302)255-1355
Sports Medicine Services
1400 N Washington St
Wilmington, DE 19801

Halifax Medical Center
John A. Shelton, MD, Program Director
(386)254-4167 or (386)258-4867
[email protected]
Family Medicine Residency Program
201 North Clyde Morris Blvd
Daytona Beach, FL 32115

University of Florida Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship
Guy Nicolette, MD, Program Director
Chari Holder , Coordinator, 352-294-7440 or (352) 392-1161 Ext: 4217 Email: [email protected][email protected]
UF Student Health Care Center
PO Box 117500 Gainesville, FL 32611-7500

Bayfront Sports Fellowship
Carlos R. Rodriquez, MD, Program Director
Ellen B. James Coordinator
Phone# 727-893-6156 Fax#: 727-553-7340 Email: [email protected]
Family Medicine Residency
Bayfront Medical Center
700 6th Street South
St. Petersburg, FL 33701

Pensacola/Andrews Institute, FL
Andrews/Paulos Research and Education Institute Program
APREI Family Medicine - Sports Medicine Fellowship
Joshua Hackel, MD Director
Sherry L. Gammache Fellowship Coordinator
Phone: (850) 916-3700 Fax: (850) 916-3710 [email protected]
1040 Gulf Breeze Parkway, Suite 200
Gulf Breeze, Florida 32561 http://www.theandrewsinstitute.com

Medical College of Georgia
Georgia Health Sciences University Program

Steven A. Greer, MD, Program Director
(706)721-4817 or (706)721-6123 [email protected]
GHSU - Medical College of Georgia
1120 15th Street HB2063
Augusta, GA 30912

MacNeal Hospital
Aaron D. Lee, DO, Program Director
(708)783-3539
3231 South Euclid Avenue
Berwyn, IL 60402

Resurrection Medical Center
Poonam P. Thaker, MD, Program Director
(773)990-7660 or (773)594-7975 [email protected]
Resurrection Medical Center Program
Sports Medicine Fellowship Program
Resurrection Family Practice Center
7447 W Talcott Avenue, Suite 182
Chicago, IL 60631

Advocate Lutheran General Hospital
William W. Briner, MD Program Director
(847)723-1422 or (847)723-5615 [email protected]
Advocate Lutheran General Spts Medicine Fellowship
1775 West Dempster Street, 6 South
Park Ridge, IL 60068

Memorial Hospital of South Bend
Mark E. Lavallee, MD, Program Director
(574)289-4764 or (574)239-6461 [email protected]
Memorial Sports Medicine Institute
111 West Jefferson Boulevard, Suite 100
South Bend, IN 46601

University of Iowa
M.Kyle Smoot, MD, Program Director
(319)384-7957 or (319)384-7822
University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
200 Hawkins Drive
Iowa City, IA 52242-1009

University of Kansas (Wichita)/Via Christi Hospitals Wichita Program
Via Christi Regional Medical Center
Mark L. Stovak, MD, Program Director
(316)858-3541 or (316)858-3458 [email protected]
707 N Emporia
Wichita, KS 67214

University of Kentucky
Robert Hosey, MD, Program Director
(859)323-6712 or (859)323-6661 [email protected]
University of Kentucky
K-302 Kentucky Clinic
Lexington, KY 40536

University of Louisville
Jonathan A. Becker, MD, MS, Program Director
(502)852-5499 or (502)852-4944
University of Louisville Sports Medicine
Family Medicine Residency
201 Abraham Flexner Way, Suite 690
Louisville, KY 40202

Baton Rouge General Medical Center Program
Vincent L. Shaw, MD , Program Director
(504)451-3867 or (225)387-7872
Baton Rouge General Medical Center
3600 Florida Blvd
Baton Rouge, LA 70806

Boston University Medical Center Program
Matthew Pecci, MD, Program Director
(617)414-6239 or (617)414-3345
Boston Medical Center
One Boston Medical Center Place
Dowling 5 South
Boston, MA 02118

University of Maryland
Valerie E Cothran, MD
Pam Hough Coordinator
Tel: (410) 328-5145 Fax: (410) 328-0639 E-mail: [email protected]
Univ of Maryland Med System
Sports Med Pgm Lower Level
29 S Paca St Baltimore, MD 21201

Providence Hospital and Medical Center
Michael Montico, MD, Program Director
(248)465-4782
Providence Athletic Medicine
26750 Providence Parkway
Suite 210
Novi, MI 48374

Henry Ford Hospital
Coordinator: Monica Cleveland
Tel: (313) 972-4076 Fax: (313) 972-4202 E-mail: [email protected]
Henry Ford Hosp
Ctr for Athletic Medicine
6525 Second Ave Detroit, MI 48202

University of Michigan Sports Medicine Fellowship
Program Director: Robert B. Kiningham, MD, MA
Patricia Bernardi, BS , Coordinator Phone: (734)232-6776 (734)615-2687 Email: [email protected]
L2003 Women's Hospital
1500 East Medical Center Drive
Ann Arbor, MI 48109

University of Mississippi
Christopher D. Boston, MD, Program Director
601)984-5425 [email protected]
UMMC, Department of Family Medicine
2500 N State Street
Jackson, MS 39216

UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson: Rutgers/UMDNJ (University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey)
Robert Monaco, MD, MPH, Program Director
(732)235-6969 or (732)235-6309 [email protected]
UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Dept of Family Medicine, MEB 278C
One Robert Wood Johnson Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08903

East Carolina University
Joseph Armen, DO, Program Director
(252)328-6841or (252)328-0462
Vidant Medical Center/East Carolina University Program
East Carolina University-Brody School of Medicine
101 Heart Drive; Mail Stop 654
Greenville, NC 27834

Moses H Cone Memorial Hospital
Karl B. Fields, MD, Program Director
(336)832-7867 or (336)832-7869 [email protected]
Moses H Cone Memorial Hospital Program
The Moses H. Cone Primary Care Sports Medicine
1131-C N. Church Street
Greensboro, NC 27401

Summa Health System/NEOUCOM Program
Nilesh Shah, MD, Program Director
(330)379-5051 or (330)379-5074
Summa Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine (Akron)
20 Olive Street, Suite 201
Akron, OH 44310

Fairview Hospital - The Cleveland Clinic Foundation Sports Medicine Fellowship
Program Director: Alfred J. Cianflocco, MD
Rachel Marshall, Coordinator Phone: (216)692-7833 fax (216)692-7802 [email protected] [email protected]
99 Northline Circle
Euclid, OH 44119

TriHealth (Bethesda North Hospital)
TriHealth (Bethesda North Hospital) Program
Richard A. Okragly, MD, Program Director
(513)977-6700 or (513)531-2624
Bethesda Hospital
Sports Medicine Fellowship Program
4411 Montgomery Road, Suite 206
Cincinnati, OH 45212

Riverside Methodist Hospital
Jason J. Diehl, MD, Program Director
(614)586-4043 or (614)586-1237 [email protected]
Riverside Methodist Hospitals (OhioHealth) Program
3535 Olentangy River Road
Columbus, OH 43214

Grant Medical Center
Joel Shaw, MD, Program Director
(614)566-9041 or (614)566-8073 [email protected]
Grant Medical Center (OhioHealth) Program
285 E State Street, Suite 670
Medical Education Department
Columbus, OH 43215

Ohio State University Hospital
James R. Borchers, MD, MPH, Program Director
(614)293-3600 or (614)293-4399 [email protected]
Ohio State University Sports Medicine
2050 Kenny Road
Suite 3100
Columbus, OH 43221

University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center Program
Brian R. Coleman, MD, Program Director
(405)271-8818 or (405)271-4366
University of Oklahoma Health Sciences
900 NE 10th Street
Oklahoma City, OK 73104

St. Luke's Hospital
Kevin N. Waninger, MD, MS, Program Director
(484)526-3550 or (484)526-3216 [email protected]
St. Luke's Family Medicine Center
2830 Easton Avenue
Bethlehem, PA 18017

Temple University GHS Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship
David Ross, MD Director, GHS Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship
Associate Professor, Temple University School of Medicine
Tel. 570-808-5661
MC 37-51 1000 E. Mountain Blvd
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711

University of Pittsburgh Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship
Tanya Hagen, MD UPMC Shadyside program director; Jeanne M Doperak, DO UPMC St Margaret Sports Medicine Program director
Patricia Elicker, Coordinator for both programs
Tel: (412) 623-2028 Fax: (412) 623-6253 E-mail: [email protected]
UPMC Shadyside SON Rm 519
5320 Centre Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15232
or
815 Freeport Rd
Pittsburgh, PA 15215

Penn State University
Philip Bosha, MD, BS, Program Director
Coordinator Mrs. Theresa Mellott
Phone: (814) 235-4727 email: [email protected]
Penn State Orthopaedics and Sports
1850 East Park Avenue State College, PA 16803

St. Vincent Health Center
Jonathan D. McKrell, MD, Program Director
(814)452-5106 or (814)452-5097
Saint Vincent Health Center
2314 Sassafras Street
3rd Floor
Erie, PA 16502

Crozer-Chester Medical Center (Keystone Health System) Program
Steven J. Collina, MD, Program Director
(610)690-4491 or (610)328-9391
Crozer-Chester Medical Center
1260 E Woodland Avenue, Suite 200
Springfield, PA 19064

Self Regional Healthcare/Greenwood Program
David P. Sealy, MD, Program Director
(864)725-4691 or (864)725-4883 [email protected]
Montgomery Center for Family Medicine
155 Academy Avenue
Greenwood, SC 29646

John Peter Smith Health Network Program/Texas Christian University
Michelle Kirk, MD, Program Director [email protected]
Jason Mogonye, MD, Assistant Program Director [email protected]
(817)852-8700 or (817)702-8724
John Peter Smith Hospital
1500 S Main Street
Fort Worth, TX 76104

Virginia Commonwealth University Health System (Falls Church) Program
Thomas M. Howard, MD, Program Director
(703)391-2020 or (703)391-121 [email protected]
Virginia Commonwealth University Health System
VCU-FFM Sports Medicine Fellowship
3650 Joseph Siewick Drive, Suite 400, 4th Floor
Fairfax, VA 22033

*University of Colorado Denver (only interviewed one PM&R resident ever, not listed as accepted speciality on website, but worth emailing PD about applying)
Program Director: John Hill, DO [email protected]
12631 East 17th Ave.
Aurora, CO 80045
Phone: (303) 584-7917

Last edited:
Technically I should include university of Utah but they have a designated PMR spot even though fellowship under family med dept. Pretty sure everyone aware of the Utah program.

Anyone know anything about Cal in Sacramento? People that have interviewed there? Any opinions?

Anyone know anything about Cal in Sacramento? People that have interviewed there? Any opinions?

Do u mean UC Davis PMR sports or UC berkley. Davis is by Sacramento

UC Davis - I believe it's the oldest PM&R sports fellowship in the nation. Run by Brian Davis. Focus is primarily sports coverage, not spinal injections. One to two fellows annually. I'm good friends with next years' fellow, so PM me if you want any specific information on it and I can find out for you.