Speech Pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rhoticrichy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys! I'm kind of new here. It didn't look like this question had been asked before (and next to no one seems to go on the speech path section), so here goes!

I'm in my second year of undergraduate study as a speech pathology major- I loved it in the beginning but now I'm having second thoughts.

I've enjoyed the anatomy and science aspects of it (learning the muscles involved in phonation, articulators, acoustics, how we hear, etc.), but some of the "therapy"-esque courses have been a turn off. Classes on how to plan a therapy session, how to use diagnostic tests, and language development in children have really been a burn out. I have no desire to work with children, and while I could handle adults and the elderly, I don't want to be so glued to one population.

I had always planned on working in the hospital setting, but now it seems like all the things I wanted about the hospital setting, I could do more as an otolaryngologist with better pay.

Thoughts? I was wondering if people from an oto perspective could give me some feedback on what they think of their field, maybe if they've had experiences with slps and could tell me what think about both sides of the fence.

Thanks, everybody!

Members don't see this ad.

A good speech pathologist is an invaluable asset to the Head and Neck surgeon.

We certainly work with speech pathologists. Common reasons I refer patients are 1. Speech therapy for dysphonia, 2. Swallow evaluations (esp. modified barium swallow), 3. Voice rehabilitation post laryngectomy.

I think if you worked in a hospital setting, especially an academic hospital, you could tailor your practice to adults. It might hurt your bottom line to exclude children if you are in private practice and paying to run your own office.

Don't forget it's not that simple to "switch" to being an otolaryngologist. You are looking at a minimum of 9 years training assuming you can get into medical school and then match into ENT (both easier said than done).

I had always planned on working in the hospital setting, but now it seems like all the things I wanted about the hospital setting, I could do more as an otolaryngologist with better pay.

Thoughts? I was wondering if people from an oto perspective could give me some feedback on what they think of their field, maybe if they've had experiences with slps and could tell me what think about both sides of the fence.

Sorry, I'm not an ENT..I happened upon this thread as I was searching around. I am a speech pathology major as well and like you, I much prefer the anatomy aspect. I decided DDS was the way to go for me. I am hoping to further my career as an Oral Maxillofacial surgeon. Have you thought about this career choice?
Both ENT and OMFS are very tough to get in to. I think both pertain to the SLP.

I too was turned off by the SLP career when I found that most of my classes are geared towards working in a school doing therapy. I want a hands on more anatomy based career.