Spectroscopy on pcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted951073

for those who took the pcat recently, were there any spectroscopy questions? I saw posts from 2016 and all of them said there were no spectroscopy questions although there were on the practice tests? Did that change? Or is it still the same? And do you think I should focus on it?

Members don't see this ad.

I took mine this year and there was one spectroscopy question. Very basic though. It just asked me what functional group or property the compound was going to have. I obviously got it wrong because none of my study material went over spectroscopy.

Reactions: 1 user
for those who took the pcat recently, were there any spectroscopy questions? I saw posts from 2016 and all of them said there were no spectroscopy questions although there were on the practice tests? Did that change? Or is it still the same? And do you think I should focus on it?

Don’t focus on it

Members don't see this ad :)
Although spectroscopy wasn't on my PCAT either, I suggest remembering the range for C=O (1700-1750 cm-1) and O-H/N-H (3100-3500 cm-1) in the unlikely event it does come up for any functional groups.