Specific Schools to do Away Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newtooto

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and I just figured out that I love ENT and want to spend my life doing ENT. I am a third year med student and am just finishing my surgery rotation. My schedule is such that I will not be able to do my first ENT rotation until August 2009 (which I already have set up at a three-resident mid-tier school). My question is where should I do my second away ENT rotation in September 2009? I come from a school that does not have a home ENT program, which I realize puts me at a disadvantage. Also, I know that I am getting a late start. However, I have been reading a lot of good posts on this forum, which gives me hope.

I do not really care where I go to rotate--I am single and able to move anywhere in the country. I do not care where I match, so long as I match. I am trying to rotate at places where the programs have been known to take rotating students on as residents. Seeing all of the discussion regarding the value or lack thereof for out-of-towns as well as talking to some of my friends from upper years who have rotated in places that did not even grant them interviews, I really would like to rotate at a place where rotating would help, not hurt. Also, I would like to rotate at a program that I can get a good letter from someone who is well known in ENT or whose letter can go a long ways.

I was thinking about applying to Johns Hopkins or a Mass Eye and Ear for an away, but I am troubled with the possibility that I may be so average compared to the other students there that I would not be able to get a great LOR. I guess the most important thing for me is to get an awesome LOR. Should I maybe go to a smaller program? What about the DC programs? As I said, I am willing to go ANYWHERE in the country so long as it meets my criteria above. Specific programs (names) would really help me at this point, and I could not find any threads that listed them, so I would really appreciate anyone's input. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I hear september is not a good month to do aways as many of the attendings will be away at the academy meeting. It might be difficult to have enough face time to get a LOR.

academy meeting is actually in early october this year (10/04/09-10/07/09 to be exact), so september is a good month this year.

I hear september is not a good month to do aways as many of the attendings will be away at the academy meeting. It might be difficult to have enough face time to get a LOR.

I guess that sucks for me because I could only do my away in October :(