Specific questions on NYCPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jungdaues

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just want to get some questions answered specific to NYCPM. Thanks in advance!

1) How many shadowing hours do they recommend?
2) Is it common to see applicants switch to podiatry school from MD/DO because they don’t feel competitive for MD/DO? How does NYCPM or any other podiatry school see this as?

General question about AACPMAS:
1) Does the PS have to be perfectly tailored to podiatry school? Has anyone used AACOMAS/AMCAS PS for AACPMAS?

Members don't see this ad.

2) Not uncommon. Same as premeds switching to any other field: OD, DDS, Pharm, PA. Just know what you're getting into. Don't do it for the title or money. You have to at least be able to tolerate what you are going to do for the rest of your life.

1) The least you can do is tailor your PS....you are already making a career jump. Do you know how lazy and ignorant you would look with a PS tailored to a different field?

2) Not uncommon. Same as premeds switching to any other field: OD, DDS, Pharm, PA. Just know what you're getting into. Don't do it for the title or money. You have to at least be able to tolerate what you are going to do for the rest of your life.

1) The least you can do is tailor your PS....you are already making a career jump. Do you know how lazy and ignorant you would look with a PS tailored to a different field?
Thanks for the feedback! Yes, definitely thought the same. My PS I've written before is very general and wanted to get an idea of how others have done.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback! Yes, definitely thought the same. My PS I've written before is very general and wanted to get an idea of how others have done.

I apologize for being cranky. Boards tomorrow.

General PS are a dime a dozen.

Give specific details or instances. Make it personal.

Tell me something I can't already get from your resume or transcript.

Hello all,

Just want to get some questions answered specific to NYCPM. Thanks in advance!

1) How many shadowing hours do they recommend?
2) Is it common to see applicants switch to podiatry school from MD/DO because they don’t feel competitive for MD/DO? How does NYCPM or any other podiatry school see this as?

General question about AACPMAS:
1) Does the PS have to be perfectly tailored to podiatry school? Has anyone used AACOMAS/AMCAS PS for AACPMAS?

1. Minimum of 10 hours, 20-30 is more than enough.
2. You won't be judged negatively for switching. However, you should have a much better reason for choosing podiatry over MD/DO. Your reasoning should not be about the competitiveness.
3. Have at least 1 paragraph specific to "why podiatry". Other paragraphs can be general interest in medicine, volunteer work, research, etc.

I apologize for being cranky. Boards tomorrow.

General PS are a dime a dozen.

Give specific details or instances. Make it personal.

Tell me something I can't already get from your resume or transcript.

Haha didn’t take anything offensively. Good luck on your boards!

1. Minimum of 10 hours, 20-30 is more than enough.
2. You won't be judged negatively for switching. However, you should have a much better reason for choosing podiatry over MD/DO. Your reasoning should not be about the competitiveness.
3. Have at least 1 paragraph specific to "why podiatry". Other paragraphs can be general interest in medicine, volunteer work, research, etc.

Thanks for the advice! I’ll work on adding a paragraph about podiatry. Does SDN or podiatry have forums where people swap PS for revision?