Specialty with a 30 hour work week?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sliceofbread136

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really want to go into something with very light hours... however no gen peds clinic or urgent care, I detest both of these. I’m thinking maybe sleep medicine? Any other options you can think of?

Current a pgy2 so I need to think of something soon...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want fewer hours, why consider pediatrics? Funding balance is better with adults.

So you want to spend 80 hour work weeks in fellowship training for 3 years at reduced pay so you can work part time? That doesn't really make much financial sense you know...

I’m kind of spoiled and don’t have any debt. Honestly I’d be pretty comfortable on 50k a year...

I mean, you can work part time in most specialties...

Can you work part time crit care? How about pulm? I do like both of these and could do a tough fellowship if I had a light at the end of the tunnel

Can you work part time crit care? How about pulm? I do like both of these and could do a tough fellowship if I had a light at the end of the tunnel
There probably are parttime positions. Your options would be quite limited though since many subspecialites cluster around children’s hospitals which typically aren’t looking for parttime workers who aren’t contributing to the greater academic mission, but I suppose it’s a limited possibly. I mean I have a colleague in my group who has reduced effort mostly because he is burned out and his wife is a neurosurgeon so he doesn’t have to work as much. He still comes in everyday almost, he just chooses to do less clinical time. There’s also skill attrition if you don’t do something enough, especially for procedures. I suppose you could do a fellowship if you want and roll the dice on the back end as far as jobs.

To answer the question that you asked, critical care fields such as NICU, PICU and cards are difficult to get that type of position. You would be better off in some fields like rheum or allergy/immunology which are clinic based more than inpatient and you could control the number of clinics a bit. Likely you'd have trouble finding a starting job at 3-4 days/week, but it's not that uncommon later on. Could consider endo, GI, etc but these are heavier inpatient. Also recognize that in many areas you may have times when you need to do more hours as you are covering an inpatient service, but in many settings that may not be all the time and there would be easier months.

Could always consider the tele-health industry. More shift work, is more giving reassurance and counseling than anything else. Insurance companies are using this option to have families be able to speak with a provider overnight etc. Growing business model that is in the early stages.

Not to say if it is right to have this, but that is not the question asked. It is a job that likely could be part time......

I really want to go into something with very light hours... however no gen peds clinic or urgent care, I detest both of these. I’m thinking maybe sleep medicine? Any other options you can think of?

Current a pgy2 so I need to think of something soon...

Psych can give 30 hr weeks. But you have to enjoy it.

Development and EM, but you have to do a fellowship.

ED will pay you very very well.

Last edited:
Agree with PEM. 3-4 eight hour shifts per week. You'll have to be OK with very fast paced and sometimes very sick kids as well as some "urgent care" type kids, and night shifts... but it would get you to your hours goal.

Seems like allergy is up your alley. Just do allergy testing and give shots. Can also then see adults and make more $$$.

Reactions: 1 user
Allergy is not competitive. A lot of places went unfilled.

Where is this information coming from?

From NRMP 2019 match: 137 positions, 172 applicants, and 39 unmatched. That match rate 77.3%.

Allergy is not competitive. A lot of places went unfilled.

There were 4 positions unfilled in the most recent match. I'm not sure I'd consider that non-competitive. We consider hospitalist fairly competitive right now, and they also only had 4 positions unfilled in the match.

There were 4 positions unfilled in the most recent match. I'm not sure I'd consider that non-competitive. We consider hospitalist fairly competitive right now, and they also only had 4 positions unfilled in the match.
Yep, better to look at the number of unmatched applicants