Specialty Help: Heart telling me 1 thing, Wallet telling me another

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also re salary, remember that CRNAs have an average of a little over 210k. The fact that the medical profession has let that be the case meanwhile pediatrics is around that same average salary is quite appalling

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Also re salary, remember that CRNAs have an average of a little over 210k. The fact that the medical profession has let that be the case meanwhile pediatrics is around that same average salary is quite appalling
Its a factor for what the specialty earns. Anesthesiologists make way more than pediatricians so their midlevels make more than pediatric midlevels. I know a part-time ortho PA who makes 90% of what the full time FM NPs make.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm all for physicians getting paid well for the sacrifices they make. But anyone who complains that $225K per year isn't a lot of money also rubs me the wrong way. Especially if you want to do work in Arizona, New Mexico, or Texas, which are all relatively low cost of living places (Texas with no state income tax), $225K per year will get you far as long as you're smart with your money. There are lots of loan repayment options out there, especially for FM (because it's remarkably easy to work in an underserved area as a FM), so you'll likely have some assistance for loan repayment or you'll be able to work harder for a few years to earn more money to pay off your loans faster.

You will 100% be able to meet your goals after choosing FM. There are also other fields that will help you achieve those goals. Pick the specialty that will give you a reasonable earning potential but you can stand doing the bread and butter of the field for 20+ years.
If you take the first 2 off that $225k I've made that before... and as someone who's made $25k/year before, I couldn't agree more with this post.

In a low cost of living area, I had a job that paid ~$50k/year for a while, and saved up $10k for a house down payment. Bought my own house and had a $500/month mortgage payment. Also bought a sports car at the time. With the overtime I worked, the highest I ever made was $80k, and that's the kind of salary where I stopped using a budget, went out whenever I felt like it, took vacations, and accumulated $50k+ in my retirement plan while paying extra principal on my mortgage.

That being said, OP, of course more money is nicer, but anyone telling you that $200k isn't much money and isn't enough to have a good quality of life has never had to support him or herself with an entry level job and it shows.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I work 7 days on/off (7a-6pm) ... base salary is in the 330s. I got paid ~$ 2250/day for any extra days I work above my 7 days on. If I work 20 days/month (220 hrs or 55 hrs/wk average), I should make ~470k/yr based on my calculation.
12 hour shifts I assume? Do you truly work 12 hour shifts if so? Or do these creep into 13, 14, 15+ hour shifts?

Either way, sounds like a great set-up.

12 hour shifts I assume? Do you truly work 12 hour shifts if so? Or do these creep into 13, 14, 15+ hour shifts?

Either way, sounds like a great set-up.
Let me write in detail how my day-to-day goes:

Exception is only for the first day where I would say that I REALLY work 10 hrs because I have to spend time to know these patients .

For the other days, get to work by 7:15 am, pick up my assignment and head to the physician dinning room for a 20 -25 minutes breakfast. Then start seeing patients by 7:40-7:45am.

Between 12:15pm--12:45 pm, I stop working (unless there is an emergency) and head to the physician dinning room again for a 30-40mins lunch

From ~1:30-3:30pm, I work on finishing everything. I use the last 2-2.5 hours to work on probably 1 admission, watch TV and horse around in the physician lounge (not dinning room lol...). We have both a lounge and a dining room that are in different part of the hospital.

I peace out at 6pm unless I got an admission in between 5:45-6:00pm. In that case, I might leave between 6:20-6:30pm. I can count in one hand how many times that has happened.

On Sat and Sundays, I tend to finish earlier... because there is not that much going on in the hospital.

The seasoned hospitalists at my shop are done by 2:00pm. I frankly don't get how they can be so efficient.

Again, my setting is ok for hospital medicine setting because our census is reasonable (15-17 patients and ~1.3 average admit per day). People start complaining when the census is above 17.

Some people have it better. One of my former co-residents who is in small town in the midwest told me that he got to work by 10 am and he is out by 5pm. The only thing is that his base salary is only in the 260s

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
all federal. Will be between 350-400k ish I assume once residency is done, haven't calculated it out exactly and obv dont know the continuing situation with loan interest freezes and stuff
Good for you. If you haven't read the book "Medical Student Loans" by Ben White, you should. It's available for free on his website: Student Loans | Ben White It explains all the various repayment strategies. With around $400K in debt, you should feel more free to choose whatever you want, as you should have no problem paying back that loan with a job in any specialty, whether you choose to go the forgiveness route or not.

He literally wrote 7-6
Lol gdi thanks

Exception is only for the first day where I would say that I REALLY work 10 hrs because I have to spend time to know these patients .

For the other days, get to work by 7:15 am, pick up my assignment and head to the physician dinning room for a 20 -25 minutes breakfast. Then start seeing patients by 7:40-7:45am.

Between 12:15pm--12:45 pm, I stopped working (unless there is an emergency) and head to the physician dinning room again for a 30-40mins lunch

From ~1:30-3:30pm, I work on finishing everything. I use the last 2-2.5 hours to work on probably 1 admission, watch TV and horse around in the physician lounge (not dinning room lol...). We have both a lounge and a dining room that are in different part of the hospital.

I peace out at 6pm unless I got an admission in between 5:45-6:00pm. In that case, I might leave between 6:20-6:30pm. I can count in one hand how many times that has happened.

On Sat and Sundays, I tend to finish earlier... because there is not that much going on in the hospital.

The season hospitalists at my shop are done by 2:00pm. I frankly don't get how they can be so efficient.

Again, my setting is ok for hospital medicine setting because our census is reasonable (15-17 patients and ~1.3 average admit per day). People start complaining when the census is above 17.

Some people have it better. One of my former co-residents who is in small town in the midwest told me that he got to work by 10 am and he is out by 5pm. The only thing is that his base salary is only in the 260s
some docs make attending lifestyle sound like hell on earth. You paint such a stark contrast. Thanks!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Between 12:15pm--12:45 pm, I stopped working (unless there is an emergency) and head to the physician dinning room again for a 30-40mins lunch

The season hospitalists at my shop are done by 2:00pm. I frankly don't get how they can be so efficient.

Is it possible to learn this power

Lol gdi thanks

some docs make attending lifestyle sound like hell on earth. You paint such a stark contrast. Thanks!

I guess it's perspective.

There are certainly some docs who have jobs that are not lifestyle friendly. These doc tend to be geographically restricted.

If one does not limit him/herself geographically, there are jobs out there that might check most of your boxes.

There are a few docs in my group that maintain residence in 2 different states. Some of them drive 3-5 hrs back and forth weekly. A couple of them fly back and forth every week. A few of them have family. So I guess it's worth it for them since they have been doing it for > 2+ years.

It does not matter financially to be honest. Every physician should be rich after they have been practicing medicine for 20+ yrs unless there are extenuating circumstances (divorces etc...) that have prevented them or they are stupid with money.

The surgeons, cardiologists, GI docs etc... might have a net worth of 5+ mil after 20+ yrs. Yours might be 3+ mil. Not sure how big of a difference in lifestyle that would be (3 mil vs. 5 mil).

You invest 5-6k month in the S&P500 (401k, roth IRA, 529 etc..), you will have 3+ mil after 20 yrs with the average of 8-10% return. Pick a career that you think will make you "not hate going to work." (see I did not use the word "happy" here).

This.

Most wealth comes from equity rather than wages. There are exceptions like hedgefund managers, pro athletes, celebrities etc.