Specialty based on Myers-Briggs Personality

Mesinan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the book The Ultimate Guide to Choosing a Medical Specialty. One of the chapters has the specialities based on your MBIT.

If you have an idea of what you want to do, is it under your personality? Please include your desired specialty and your personality type.
If you do not, what were the specialties based on your personality? Please include your personality type.

Take the test:
Long(ish): http://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/jungiantypestest.html
Short: http://www.personalitypathways.com/type_inventory.html

Chart:
ISTJ - Dermatology, OBGYN, Family Practice, Urology, Orthopedic Surgery
ISFJ - Anesthesiology, Ophthalmology, General practice, Family practice, Pediatrics
ISTP - Otolaryngology (ENT), Anesthesiology, Radiology, Ophthalmology, General practice
ISFP - Anesthesiology, Urology, Family practice, Thoracic surgery, General practice
INTJ - Psychiatry, Pathology, Neurology, Internal medicine, Anesthesiology
INFJ - Psychiatry, Internal medicine, Thoracic surgery, General surgery, Pathology
INTP - Neurology, Pathology, Psychiatry, Cardiology, Thoracic surgery
INFP - Psychiatry, Cardiology, Neurology, Dermatology, Pathology
ESTJ - OBGYN, General practice, General surgery, Orthopedic surgery, Pediatrics
ESFJ - Pediatrics, Orthopedic surgery, Otolaryngology (ENT), General practice, Internal medicine
ESTP - Orthopedic surgery, Dermatology, Family practice, Radiology, General surgery
ESFP - Ophthalmology, Thoracic surgery, OBGYN, Orthopedic surgery, General surgery
ENTJ - Neurology, Cardiology, Urology, Thoracic surgery, Internal medicine
ENFJ - Thoracic surgery, Dermatology, Psychiatry, Ophthalmology, Radiology
ENTP - Otolaryngology (ENT), Psychiatry, Radiology, Pediatrics, Pathology
ENFP - Psychiatry, Dermatology, Otolaryngology (ENT), Pediatrics

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm ISTJ and the specialty I am currently interested in is under my personality type, OBGYN.

Reactions: 1 user
All of the specialties aren't even listed.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
General Surgery

Last edited:
1. Radiology, sweet.

That test seemed to be a lot more accurate than the above one. (Radiologists being extroverted?) hmm.. lol

Not for me, my current desired specialty is OBGYN and it was 20th on this test; the first couple are ones I already ruled out I have no desire doing (pulmonology, infectious disease, radiation oncology).

You guys might want to checkout the medical aptitude test at http://www.med-ed.virginia.edu/specialties/TestStructure.cfm

Survivor DO

1. General Surgery (Very accurate. One of my favorites at the moment, probably my first choice)
2. ObGyn (Not really accurate, but it has sort of grown on me. Haha)
3. Otolaryngology (Don't know that much about it, but it seems pretty cool.)
4. Orthopedic Surgery (Seems about right. One of my top 5 choices)
5. Cardiology (Invasive maybe, otherwise no)

One of my favorites, Emergency Medicine, is only 13th on my list :(

Not for me, my current desired specialty is OBGYN and it was 20th on this test; the first couple are ones I already ruled out I have no desire doing (pulmonology, infectious disease, radiation oncology).

And you may or may not even know what you like hear from now.

My friend is a resident and he thought he would become a Family Physician

He ended up in Urology :laugh:

I can imagine doing anything. I would love to be a neuroscientist.

I was looking at the book The Ultimate Guide to Choosing a Medical Specialty. One of the chapters has the specialities based on your MBIT.

If you have an idea of what you want to do, is it under your personality? Please include your desired specialty and your personality type.
If you do not, what were the specialties based on your personality? Please include your personality type.

Take the test:
Long(ish): http://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/jungiantypestest.html
Short: http://www.personalitypathways.com/type_inventory.html

Chart:
ISTJ - Dermatology, OBGYN, Family Practice, Urology, Orthopedic Surgery
ISFJ - Anesthesiology, Ophthalmology, General practice, Family practice, Pediatrics
ISTP - Otolaryngology (ENT), Anesthesiology, Radiology, Ophthalmology, General practice
ISFP - Anesthesiology, Urology, Family practice, Thoracic surgery, General practice
INTJ - Psychiatry, Pathology, Neurology, Internal medicine, Anesthesiology
INFJ - Psychiatry, Internal medicine, Thoracic surgery, General surgery, Pathology
INTP - Neurology, Pathology, Psychiatry, Cardiology, Thoracic surgery
INFP - Psychiatry, Cardiology, Neurology, Dermatology, Pathology
ESTJ - OBGYN, General practice, General surgery, Orthopedic surgery, Pediatrics
ESFJ - Pediatrics, Orthopedic surgery, Otolaryngology (ENT), General practice, Internal medicine
ESTP - Orthopedic surgery, Dermatology, Family practice, Radiology, General surgery
ESFP - Ophthalmology, Thoracic surgery, OBGYN, Orthopedic surgery, General surgery
ENTJ - Neurology, Cardiology, Urology, Thoracic surgery, Internal medicine
ENFJ - Thoracic surgery, Dermatology, Psychiatry, Ophthalmology, Radiology
ENTP - Otolaryngology (ENT), Psychiatry, Radiology, Pediatrics, Pathology
ENFP - Psychiatry, Dermatology, Otolaryngology (ENT), Pediatrics

Based on both versions of the test above, my personality has done a near 180 since I was a freshman in high school seven years ago. In my career exploration course as a HS freshman, I took the long version and got ISTJ. Now as a junior in college I'm getting ESFP, which is consistent with my current specialty interests.

On the short i got INTJ , on the long and hopefully more accurate test i got ESTJ (yay surgery!)