specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurebamapt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that for most people going into pt it is not about the money, however I would like information as to which of the specialties are the most lucrative and allow for pt's to demmand a higher salary.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

This is a shot in the dark, but I would guess Cardio/Pulm just because there seems to be the least number of them? More demand, higher salary?

I would add though, that I think the location and type of company you work for would be more of a factor than your "specialty"

Just my 2 cents.

Not that it's a specialty, but working in a SNF usually pays more than most other places that aren't a POPTS. Working in a POPTS under an MD will pay a PT the most. Traveling PT's make a good amount of money too. Finally, if you work in an underserved area, you can make quite a bit. Outside of this, unless a PT owns a practice, our income is pretty limited to modest but comfortable living.

Members don't see this ad :)
what is snf and popts?
Skilled Nursing Facility

and

Physician-Owned Physical Therapy Services

Do a search for both of them on the internet and you will find lots of info. Especially the controversial POPTS, which many PT schools drill into your head NOT to work for once you graduate, as they compromise our profession. Sadly, many students still go this route because of the money increase.