Specializing as an international student trained in US dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csAlmost

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently a D3 attending an accredited US dental school. As you may have assumed from the title, I am an international student who has no US citizenship nor a green card. I was wondering if anyone knows if I will have any limitations in applying to specialty programs. I am specifically interested in ortho, also contemplating pedo. I know that UCLA doesn't accept international students, as its website says you must be a "US citizen, US permanent resident, Canadian citizen or your status as an H-1B visa holder, and your eligibility to work in the United States." I am still a F1 (student visa) so I know I can't apply to UCLA. But most other schools I have tried searching for do not seem to have these specific limitations stated on their websites. I was trying to find cases like mine online, but to no avail – So I am hoping that someone could shed some light on this matter for me. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I am currently a D3 attending an accredited US dental school. As you may have assumed from the title, I am an international student who has no US citizenship nor a green card. I was wondering if anyone knows if I will have any limitations in applying to specialty programs. I am specifically interested in ortho, also contemplating pedo. I know that UCLA doesn't accept international students, as its website says you must be a "US citizen, US permanent resident, Canadian citizen or your status as an H-1B visa holder, and your eligibility to work in the United States." I am still a F1 (student visa) so I know I can't apply to UCLA. But most other schools I have tried searching for do not seem to have these specific limitations stated on their websites. I was trying to find cases like mine online, but to no avail – So I am hoping that someone could shed some light on this matter for me. Thanks!

I'd contact the programs that you're interested in directly; that way you have the most up-to-date answer.

I have at least 3 friends who got their specialty in a more difficult situation than yours; they didn't got their degrees in US or Canada. One did a GPR (or similar) in Connecticut, and afterwards the specialty in radiology. Another the same specialty, but in Harvard. And the 3rd completed an internship in Michigan, and he will do Perio Specialty in the near future. Also, I think you might be wrong with UCLA. That University is kind of very open about welcoming foreigners. So, as long as you have some US credentials, you should do fine.

As the other guy said, contact directly the Programmes Directors of the Universities you wish.

Members don't see this ad :)
UCLA accepts international grad students. It's Ortho graduate prog has 4 seats for US residents and 4 seats for international students. Im an international grad student and I applied to UCLA. I called and asked them about it and they said that they accept international graduates.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

UCLA accepts international grad students. It's Ortho graduate prog has 4 seats for US residents and 4 seats for international students. Im an international grad student and I applied to UCLA. I called and asked them about it and they said that they accept international graduates

Hello, I know this is not what you were talking about, but when doing a bench test if you slightly touch the adjacent tooth will that get you a rejection???

UCLA accepts international grad students. It's Ortho graduate prog has 4 seats for US residents and 4 seats for international students. Im an international grad student and I applied to UCLA. I called and asked them about it and they said that they accept international graduates.

Hello, I know this is not what you were talking about, but when doing a bench test if you slightly touch the adjacent tooth will that get you a rejection?