Specialization best poised (expertise/culture) to lead translation of Tissue Engineering next 30yrs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pothos

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which surgical specialty/sub-specialization will be best poised to exert leadership in this emerging area of the field, and why is it a cut above the others for the next ~30yrs? Curious what people think off the cuff.

Any evidence you can cite/share?

Caveat: if answering CT, myocardium regeneration doesn't count. I'm interested in general/novel tissue engineering translational/clinical efforts. I'm specifying this because I'm trying to avoid "CT because it'd be a big deal so lots of funding comparatively so a lot of people are working on it and it'll be first," responses...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Which surgical specialty/sub-specialization will be best poised to exert leadership in this emerging area of the field, and why is it a cut above the others for the next ~30yrs? Curious what people think off the cuff.

Any evidence you can cite/share?

Caveat: if answering CT, myocardium regeneration doesn't count. I'm interested in general/novel tissue engineering translational/clinical efforts. I'm specifying this because I'm trying to avoid "CT because it'd be a big deal so lots of funding comparatively so a lot of people are working on it and it'll be first," responses...

Thanks!
Plastic surgery

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What about orthopedics? Cartilage and disc engineering are pretty hotly researched fields currently.

This is definitely plastics. It says so right in Grabb and Smith's.

Urology. Once the tissue engineered Dong Longer method is perfected someone will be a billionaire.

Actually, urology could be the right answer. There is a big program at Wake Forest, and I think they are working on 3D printing an engineered kidney. They have already successfully engineered bladders and urethral tissue for reconstruction.

Little biased here but I think Ophthalmology and retinal transplantation is one to watch. Few groups are working on iPSCs to regenerate photoreceptors etc for several blinding conditions.