Specialities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Akiramay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has been thinking about going into any specialties for PT and if they decided they wanted to by shadowing a PT? Or is anyone excited to learn more about a specific specialty?

I volunteered with a home health PT but he also did some pediatrics, which I really liked. I enjoyed working with the children, but I'm not sure if I want to specialize. I'm really excited to learn more about it during classes and clinicals to see if it is really for me. :) Also, I've never volunteered for inpatient, so I can't wait to see how the PT life is there!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds great that you're experiencing different aspects of PT. I remember being in your position prior to PT school and wanting to be either a sports or peds PT. I never shadowed, but I worked as an aide at a childrens hospital, sports medicine clinic, and a geriatric facility. At that time, definitely made me excited that I was going to be a PT someday. Now I work as a sports PT with a large adolecent population!

As you probably know, when you're in PT school, you'll learn to be a generalist as you have to know all aspect of the field to pass the boards. Some schools do have "advanced tracks" to focus your study in a specific area, usually in the 3rd year. Specialties come during your clinicals and after graduation (there are board certified specialties through APTA).

Have fun!