Special Forces

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaxAnn

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
He's just a general dentist who is assigned to the the special forces group in Colorado to make sure they're ready to deploy. He's not special forces....just a Dentist. There are opportunities abound in all the branches to do cool stuff like he is doing....Navy Seals, Sea Bee's, deployments with the marines, etc...I can't count the number of times I rode tree top on a 53 (big transport helicopter) when I deployed with the marines. Fund stuff you can't do as a civilian dentist!

yeah, but it looks like he received some special forces training. there was a clip of him in white camo, looked like he was undergoing arctic warfare training. cool :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I did my OBC with that guy and I think he was Special Forces before he went to dental school. A guy in my AEGD program went to the Special Forces at Fort Lewis after completion of the program. I know he went with them sometimes to do some humanitarian work. I'm sure they'll go out and train with them sometimes, but not every day. They're more valuable doing dentistry in the clinic.

JKM

There is a question about this in the military medicine forum.
To make a long story short, there are very few spots in the SOF Q course for docs, and any docs won't be doing any "hollywood" stuff with the SOF, even if they've got their tab.

I know one SF dentist, but he was SF before becoming a dentist. I'm sure he's not doing any SF stuff now.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...c'mon, unless the Army dental corp is different than the other branches he can't be an officer in the Army Dental Corp AND be a special forces officer. Maybe he was special forces before and maybe he gets to do field exercises with them because he's attached as their dental readiness guy, but he's NOT essential on any of their missions. There's no way a dental officer is going on a special forces mission as an active participant of the mission. He's not in the **** doing extractions (as in extract from a building as opposed to a luxated alveolus). Good for him that he has this opportunity to do other cool stuff but definately recruiting propaganda from the Army.