Spaulding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPPM

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on doing a few hours of volunteer work per week at Spaulding Rehab this summer. I'm doing this in part to explore my interest in physiatry. Is anybody else working/volunteering/doing residency or a medical rotation at Spaulding? Any help or tips on how I can get maximum exposure to the field while volunteering would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There are a couple of Spaulding residents on this forum. Stinky Tofu comes off the top of my head. Check ouf the SDN-PMR resident roster that Drusso has compiled.

PS to Drusso or Axm; can we make the resident roster a sticky so people like the OP can PM if they have program-specific questions they want to ask residents? :D

Try contacting some of the attendings listed on the SRH website; their e-mail addresses are listed. Many have been receptive to having someone shadow them. I think that's the best way to maximize your experience there. We have an oupatient clinic on the 2nd floor where you could get a variety of experiences. Send me a private message if you have any problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
question about Spaulding: I've heard some say that perhaps this is the best PM&R program for outpatient rehab, esp musculoskeletal. Stinky, can I ask you about opportunities to do pain injections here also??

thanks

Since we have so many electives, you can get as much interventional experience as you want. Within the Harvard system, we get most of our experience through MGH, BWH, NEBH, SRH, and through local private clinics. You can augment this experience by rotating anywhere you want in the country during your senior year. The interventional spine procedures you do the most of in the Harvard system are interlaminars, transforaminals, facets joints, and medial branch blocks. Depending on how many there are, how good you are, and how many the fellow has done, you could also do caudals, morphine/baclofen pump trials, spinal cord stimulator trials, radiofrequency ablations, and epidural blood patches. Other interventional pain procedures you might get to do are IV lidocaine infusions, occipital nerve blocks, SI joint injections, and morphine/baclofen pump refills. You also get to scrub in on the intrathecal pumps and the spinal cord stimulator cases, but you mostly get to open, try positioning the leads, and closing. If you only do one month, you can't expect the attending to let you do much in the OR or in the clinic. The procedures we get to see, but not do are vertebroplasties, kyphoplasties, percutaneous discectomies, IDET, sympathetic blocks, etc. Let me know if you have any more questions. :)