Spacing out Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ck2017

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about interviews. What is the best way to space them out? I am nervous about one school giving me a time frame in which to decide, and not being able to make it to another school I might like before having to submit my decision. Is it OK to ask for an extension? What normally happens?

I am applying to NECO, Pacific, and ICO, and I am really not sure where I want to go. Ideally, I'd like to make it to all of them (if I get an interview) to get a feel for the school and the city, and then have a few weeks after to decide what's best.

Any input?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Try and schedule them as close to each other as possible so your time frames kind of overlap. ICO gives you 30 days to decide, I'm not sure about the others.

For NECO, they give you 10 days to send the deposit. For Pacific, I think it was 10-14 days. If ICO is 30 days, you might want to schedule that first then have NECO last. If yo're really unsure about where you want to go, I would schedule all your interviews as close as possible since I'm not sure if any schools would give an extension. You can also call admissions and ask after you receive your acceptance letter. Both NECO and Pacific let you know a week after your interview if you've been accepted!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would try to schedule them as close as you can. Last year I applied at NECO and Pacific, and NECO scheduled my interview for November, and Pacific not until January. I ended up getting accepted at NECO before going to my interview for Pacific. They give you 2 weeks to decide. I asked for an extension and they gave me another 2 weeks, absolutely no longer. My interview at Pacific was still after that period, and I really wanted to go to that interview before deciding... so I had to submit my deposit to NECO ($500), and I ended up going to Pacific. Pretty uncool.

Interview day is everything, in my opinion. It's really the only way to really get a feel for if the school is right for you. Good luck! :) I loved both schools, but Pacific more!

Awesome guys, that's what I suspected! I'm hoping it will all work out in my favor. I have an ICO interview January 4th, so I'll keep those timeframes in mind when scheduling the other two, if I need to. Thanks for the tips!

@eyeballdoc, was location your determining factor? I am struggling because of the cost of living in boston (enough to make me want to run away screaming), but I think I'd love living there. On the flip side, I've always wanted to live in the pacific NW & living costs in forest grove are much more comparable to those in WI...

Awesome guys, that's what I suspected! I'm hoping it will all work out in my favor. I have an ICO interview January 4th, so I'll keep those timeframes in mind when scheduling the other two, if I need to. Thanks for the tips!

@eyeballdoc, was location your determining factor? I am struggling because of the cost of living in boston (enough to make me want to run away screaming), but I think I'd love living there. On the flip side, I've always wanted to live in the pacific NW & living costs in forest grove are much more comparable to those in WI...

Sorry for the late reply, yes location was a big factor but also I felt more welcomed at PUCO, liked their interview much better, etc. Cost was a big factor, living in Boston is about twice as much as living in Forest Grove. :( But Boston seemed really fun. I'm from MN, so similar situation as you, pacific northwest is more our thing. :) Thinking back on it it seems like it should have been a really tough decision to make, but it wasn't. I think you'll know which school you want to go to after interview day.

A couple weeks ago I posted about why I like PUCO in the thread titled "Pacific University" if you're looking for more input. Best wishes :)