Sources of Aid for non-MSTP MD/PhDs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTheHorror

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting a non-MSTP MD/PhD program this fall and am curious as to whether there are any sources of funding for MD/PhD students that are not funded with the MSTP, such as private sources or anything.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

They're very rare for non-minorities and non-handicapped (the NIGMS has programs for them only). There were some programs that have gone away in the past several years. I've talked to some people about it in the past and they've said that it's impossible. Still, I'd be happy to hear options if anyone knows otherwise.

ummm......howard hughes, your PI (if they have money through their grant), some schools have saved funds just for that....

Members don't see this ad :)
cache20033 said:
ummm......howard hughes, your PI (if they have money through their grant), some schools have saved funds just for that....

hey cache, can i wish for a crapload of non-MSTP MD/PhD funds?

Could I get a link to HHMI MD/PhD funding? If memory serves me correctly they no longer fund MD/PhDs in favor of their own year out programs and MD->researcher transitions. There's actually a bit of a controversy in the MSTP world because we cost so much money to train and the HHMI year outs cost alot less and have almost as high a basic science retention rate. But, I digress on that one.

Neuronix said:
There's actually a bit of a controversy in the MSTP world because we cost so much money to train and the HHMI year outs cost alot less and have almost as high a basic science retention rate. But, I digress on that one.

I want to see a link on that

MacGyver said:
I want to see a link on that

Happy to oblige.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=14660432
(full text available only to subscribers)

Effect of two Howard Hughes Medical Institute research training programs for medical students on the likelihood of pursuing research careers.

Fang D, Meyer RE.

Division of Biomedical and Health Sciences Research, the Association of American Medical Colleges, Washington, DC, USA.

PURPOSE: To assess the effect of Howard Hughes Medical Institute's (HHMI) two one-year research training programs for medical students on the awardees' research careers. METHOD: Awardees of the HHMI Cloister Program who graduated between 1987 and 1995 and awardees of the HHMI Medical Fellows Program who graduated between 1991 and 1995 were compared with unsuccessful applicants to the programs and MD-PhD students who graduated during the same periods. Logistic regression analyses were conducted to assess research career outcomes while controlling for academic and demographic variables that could affect selection to the programs. RESULTS: Participation in both HHMI programs increased the likelihood of receiving National Institutes of Health postdoctoral support. Participation in the Cloister Program also increased the likelihood of receiving a faculty appointment with research responsibility at a medical school. In addition, awardees of the Medical Fellows Program were not significantly less likely than Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP) and non-MSTP MD-PhD program participants to receive a National Institutes of Health postdoctoral award, and awardees of the Cloister Program were not significantly less likely than non-MSTP MD-PhD students to receive a faculty appointment with research responsibility. Women and underrepresented minority students were proportionally represented among awardees of the two HHMI programs whereas they were relatively underrepresented in MD-PhD programs. CONCLUSIONS: The one-year intensive research training supported by the HHMI training programs appears to provide an effective imprinting experience on medical students' research careers and to be an attractive strategy for training physician-scientists.

JPaikman said:
CONCLUSIONS: The one-year intensive research training supported by the HHMI training programs appears to provide an effective imprinting experience on medical students' research careers and to be an attractive strategy for training physician-scientists.

LOL... Imprinting!

Some how the wording just seems kinda awry.

*In a deep ominous voice*

We have successfully implanted the virus... now all we need to do is wait and see if the reprogramming and imprinting works on the physician's brain... MUHAHAHAHAH!!! :D ;)

Hello-

I was looking for similar funding myself. I applied for an got a American Diabetes Association Physician Scientist Training grant, 3years of support for PhD at $30k/year = $90K. Also you can apply for funding through NIDA and NIMH for support of MD/PhD. THese are the only branches of the NIH that allows MD/PhD grants, a rememenant of a time before they were suck up by the NIH. Much to people's dismay, and an arguable statement, this reflects the less competitive nature of funding in these areas opposed to NCI standards. Good Luck.