Sound Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bond03

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Is this relationship true: Velocity of sound= 1/Density of the medium? Is it dervived from velocity=squareroot of kinetic energy/mass... mass=density.

2. Intensity increaes with Amplitude^2 and f^2 ?? Why?

3. What is the purpose of the pressure pulse in closed pipes and open pipes. Why is this important?

:) Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Is this relationship true: Velocity of sound= 1/Density of the medium? Is it dervived from velocity=squareroot of kinetic energy/mass... mass=density.

2. Intensity increaes with Amplitude^2 and f^2 ?? Why?

3. What is the purpose of the pressure pulse in closed pipes and open pipes. Why is this important?

:) Thanks!

(mechanical) wave velocity in almost all cases is determined by the MEDIUM. Two properties of the medium determine velocity.
1. Elastic component: speeds up waves
2. Inertial component: slows waves down

(if medium is gas, sound velocity increases with temperature also)

For sound wave, v = sqrt(B/p) where B=bulk modulus (measure of stiffness) and p = density.

So the answer to your first question is that u are correct ONLY in situations where B is a constant. However, both "B/p" contribute to v so you can't just ignore B. For instance, although h20 is more dense that air, sounds travels much faster in water bcos h20's B is much higher than air.

For your second question, I is proportional to both (Af)^2 where A= amplitude and f = frequency. This is from the formula e.g for sound
I= (p*w^2*A^2*v) where p= density, w=2*pi*f, A= amplitude n v=velocity

I really don't understand ur last question, r u talking about a sound wave pressure pulse) in open n closed pipes, and if so is it about harmonics, resonance etc u r referring to??