This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crehowson

Reaction score
This has to be one of the stranger questions, but I'm going to throw it out there since I need an answer.

I've been in touch with someone via email from the VA licensing board and her responses to this question have been beyond confusing. I have also found nothing tangible on the state website and none of my supervisors or DCT know the answer either. So if you're up for a challenge, here it is...

I am currently in my internship year. Due to an unexpected leave of absence, my internship end date was shifted to September 9, 2022. This in turn meant that my Psy.D. conferral date had to be changed from August 2022, to January 2023.

I have a post doc lined up and am wondering if I can provide therapy under her supervision and license between September and January. It's this weird grey area where I have my M.Psy. and will have completed the academic and internship requirements for my Psy.D.... I just won't have the piece of paper saying I have my Psy.D. Legally, in the state of Virginia, is there any way that I can practice under my post doc supervisor's supervision and license in that interim period??

Members don't see this ad.

Obviously each state is different but if you are still technically an enrolled student then many have a provision that says you can work under supervision as part of a credentialed program. These grey areas are always tough to navigate and typically boards and especially the staff that works there never want to answer these questions because that way they can duck any liability. I would say if no one can give you an answer then you have done your due diligence and run with it unless someone said in writing not to do it and you have a rationale based on your own interpretation and reading of the licensure rules and laws.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not entirely unusual for folks to start postdoc before their degree has been conferred. Like smalltownpsych mentioned, every state is of course different, but I'd be surprised if there were some stipulation stopping you from practicing under another psychologist's license while you're still training, regardless of your level of training.

The tricky part will be your postdoc hours for licensure, as those may need to occur after your degree has been conferred. Thus, you may not be able to start counting hours until January 2023. Technically, even if all degree requirements are met, you don't have your degree until your university confers it to you. Thus, I also would strongly advise against there being any materials that identify you as a Psy.D., and would recommend you not refer to yourself as "Dr." to patients.

Reactions: 1 users