(sort of?) bad first semester at a CC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

actioncat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
So I'm a first gen trying to work my way through college and I guess I've messed up pretty bad. I've read through a lot of similar forums but I don't think I read through any about CCs, so I wanted to ask for advice.
I'm doing VERY poorly in gen chem 1. I'm not making excuses, but the prof. has a very thick accent that I can't understand and also doesn't explain things in different ways when I ask questions since his first language isn't English, so it's made lecture sessions very difficult for me. I think I just don't know how to study properly (I never studied in HS and still got a 4.0 in all AP classes) and I'm really struggling.
So I have a D in chem and there's really no way to dig my way out of this D, even if I were to get 100%s on every test and assignment from here on out.
I also have an A in gen bio 1, an A in public speaking, and a B+ in spanish. So should I keep the D and hope medical schools with look past it as just a bad first semester, or drop it? I'm worried that, since I'm at a community college, the D will look worse than it would at a "real" university.
My parents have no valuable advice for me and I've worked myself up into a crisis over this so :( any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say to Withdraw. Will you still be at 12 credits without chemistry?
Also, always use rate my professor when signing up for classes

Reactions: 1 user
I would say to Withdraw. Will you still be at 12 credits without chemistry?
Also, always use rate my professor when signing up for classes

Yes, I'll still be at 12 thankfully.Does that mean my financial aid / fafsa is still okay if I withdraw? Also, thank you! I will definitely use that for next semester aha.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe as long as you are at 12 credits, you should be fine. However, clear it with your financial aid office before withdrawing.

If you do withdraw, you are 100% fine, and will end up with a strong GPA. Put the extra time into raising the spanish to an A

Withdraw but don't make the same mistake again. If the 4-year University you transfer to is anything like mine you will be teaching yourself most of the information.

For the most part, my o chem material is self taught. Lectures come directly from the textbook, the only point of going to most lectures is to have extra exposure/ask professors questions at the end of lectures.

Do NOT rely on your professor, and them having a thick accent isn't a good enough excuse. At the end of the day, learning comes back to you not how good your professor is.

Yes, I'll still be at 12 thankfully.Does that mean my financial aid / fafsa is still okay if I withdraw? Also, thank you! I will definitely use that for next semester aha.

Not all financial aid. Some require you to be at 15 credits.

Talk to your professor before withdrawing from the course. Really, this is a skill that you need to improve while at your CC before transferring to a 4 year uni. I've fell from a D to an F... then picked myself up to a C in Gen chem 1 & 2. Sad to have two C's, but hey, atleast it's not a D or F :p

Withdraw but don't make the same mistake again. If the 4-year University you transfer to is anything like mine you will be teaching yourself most of the information.

For the most part, my o chem material is self taught. Lectures come directly from the textbook, the only point of going to most lectures is to have extra exposure/ask professors questions at the end of lectures.

Do NOT rely on your professor, and them having a thick accent isn't a good enough excuse. At the end of the day, learning comes back to you not how good your professor is.

Not all financial aid. Some require you to be at 15 credits.

Yeah I totally understand that, I think the worst part that's been tripping me up is that when I ask a question / go to office hours, the prof can only explain it in one way. I'm not sure why, but he just repeats himself, almost like he's just memorized what to say versus being able to explain to someone who doesn't understand :/ I semi-rely on being able to ask and get answers (in math based courses anyway, bio I just read the text and I'm fine but chemistry textbooks feel impossible to me).

Talk to your professor before withdrawing from the course. Really, this is a skill that you need to improve while at your CC before transferring to a 4 year uni. I've fell from a D to an F... then picked myself up to a C in Gen chem 1 & 2. Sad to have two C's, but hey, atleast it's not a D or F :p
I don't think there's much he could do for me at this point to be honest. It's a low D (a 64%). I weaseled my way from 88%s in high school, but when professors write "NO EXTRA CREDIT AVAILABLE" in the syllabus it intimidates me yikes

Yeah I totally understand that, I think the worst part that's been tripping me up is that when I ask a question / go to office hours, the prof can only explain it in one way. I'm not sure why, but he just repeats himself, almost like he's just memorized what to say versus being able to explain to someone who doesn't understand :/ I semi-rely on being able to ask and get answers (in math based courses anyway, bio I just read the text and I'm fine but chemistry textbooks feel impossible to me).
I happen to be a visual learner so I really grasp material when I watch YouTube videos on the subject material and replay it several times. I think that can help you! :)

Gen Chem is more mathematical based so the videos will only help you on grasping the concepts beyond that I recommend you look at practice exams and see what types of questions the prof asks. From there you can predict what questions he would ask on the real exam.

I did well in gen chem by looking at equations and understanding what each variable was and the units involved. For example for free Gibbs free energy equation- you just need to memorize what G, H, S, and T are then you can say oh, T is temperature it should be in Kelvins, and so on and so forth. Then when prof asks you a test question and asks you to get say H, make sure all your units cancel out so only the units for H are there.

You can do that with basically all gen chem problems! Think of it as math and cancelling units and it will all fit together in harmony. I also benefited because I took it with physics so a lot of the concepts like thermodynamics and electromagnetism related back to chemistry.

You didnt study and got a 4.0 in all AP classes yet you're struggling at a CC? I call troll.

I don't think there's much he could do for me at this point to be honest. It's a low D (a 64%). I weaseled my way from 88%s in high school, but when professors write "NO EXTRA CREDIT AVAILABLE" in the syllabus it intimidates me yikes
Talk to him first. Say what's in your mind and that you want to do better :)

You didnt study and got a 4.0 in all AP classes yet you're struggling at a CC? I call troll.

I've never went to CC but I know many people who have. Often times the classes there are harder because the instructors there often:

1.) Don't have a very good way to actually gauge the students coursework

2.) Do not care at all

I did have a class at a university called "College Algebra". The professor didn't care, the students weren't smart, and the quizzes and tests were illogically prepared. It was just a carp hole of a class.

The content wasn't difficult, everything ELSE was.

The next semester I took calculus I, and it was an infinitely easier class to score well because the professor knew what he was doing, quizzes and exams were extremely well-prepared, and he cared.

I've never went to CC but I know many people who have. Often times the classes there are harder because the instructors there often:

1.) Don't have a very good way to actually gauge the students coursework

2.) Do not care at all

I did have a class at a university called "College Algebra". The professor didn't care, the students weren't smart, and the quizzes and tests were illogically prepared. It was just a carp hole of a class.

The content wasn't difficult, everything ELSE was.

The next semester I took calculus I, and it was an infinitely easier class to score well because the professor knew what he was doing, quizzes and exams were extremely well-prepared, and he cared.

But isn't the material a lot less dense? Wouldn't there be less work? And isn't there an actual curve?!

Members don't see this ad :)
But isn't the material a lot less dense? Wouldn't there be less work? And isn't there an actual curve?!

So, the main issue with CC is the fact the instructors are just not good at gauging students performances, and base their performance on poorly written quizzes/exams.

Imagine being in college algebra, with a whole bunch of students that are awful at math, don't really care to learn it (the professor knows this), and you are given half-ass lectures and half-thought out assignments to prepare you for half-relevant quizzes/exams. You end up scoring less on the quizzes and test with extraordinarily poor guidance.

However, what can you do? No one else in the class cares because they all are just there to pass one math class for college in general, the professor doesn't care about your grade because high grades mean NOTHING to this specific professor. There are no ambitious students or pre-meds in this class.

Trust me. Its way more awful than you think. And although this was a university course for the lowest level of students, I'm sure this happens in CC all the time.

I took this class early in college to prepare me for the calculus series. It wasn't necessary at all.

If I had to take college algebra 100 or Advanced quantum chemistry 600, I'd take the latter any day.

Ask @Coltuna about his experience in Orgo I at a CC.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Also, to the OP, SDN users, and lurkers, please try to avoid CC courses.

Go the university route always if all possible.

CC is like playing poker, you can be given some horrible hands to play with.

University is almost always safer, as in, the grades you earn in those classes are probably very indicative of your performance.

Reactions: 1 users

Definitely not a troll. Just struggling with adjusting from HS to college I guess. But what everyone else said after you is true. The professors just don't care and his test average is about a 40% so I'm struggling.

University is almost always safer, as in, the grades you earn in those classes are probably very indicative of your performance.

If only I would have read this post 4 months ago

This statement is oversimplified my dude. But I agree with your point that there are 'I am just here for the paycheck' type of professors at CC.
But this is a feature also available at 4 year uni. My professors were caring and I'm scratching my head at 4 year uni like: damn, my past professors deserve more :)

Also, I have a good friend who is taking gen chem 1 at the university I'm transferring to next Sem and, with our comparisons, he has significantly less coursework, homework, quizzes, and tests. I work for 4-6 hours just on my lab reports while he does maybe one hour and gets 10-20% higher scores than I do. His prof cares and prepares his material well, while mine doesn't. Sadly.

This statement is oversimplified my dude. But I agree with your point that there are 'I am just here for paycheck' type of professors at CC.
But my professors were caring and I'm scratching my head at 4 year uni like: damn, my past professors deserve more :)

Ok, so I have colleagues/friends that teach at CC. I don't mean to be bashing the instructors at CC.

What I'm really trying to say is that you just don't know what you're going to get at CC, but you do at University.

Ok, so I have colleagues/friends that teach at CC. I don't mean to be bashing the instructors at CC.

What I'm really trying to say is that you just don't know what you're going to get at CC, but you do at University.
What? My dude, don't make me bash my professors here just to point out that you don't know what you'll get at 4 year Uni either. And I also already agree with you that there are terrible professors at CC. But my point is that it's not exclusive to CC.

Definitely not a troll. Just struggling with adjusting from HS to college I guess. But what everyone else said after you is true. The professors just don't care and his test average is about a 40% so I'm struggling.
Don't be discouraged. Many people struggle transitioning to college, I know I did. It really took a toll at my morale by being a high achieving student in highschool to a mediocre one with less than average grades in college.

Keep working at it and don't give up. I also recommend you take that W. It won't look good having a D in gen chem.

What? My dude, don't make me bash my professors here just to point out that you don't know what you'll get at 4 year Uni either. And I also already agree with you that there are terrible professors at CC. But my point is that it's not exclusive to CC.
Ratemyprofessor works wonders. 8 AM any day to avoid the ones with trash exams.

Ratemyprofessor works wonders. 8 AM any day to avoid the ones with trash exams.
Yep. CC = ratemyprofessor. 4 year uni = ninjacourse(UC)/school forum/facebook group etc.

While I agree with you, I think universities have a different standard than CC's.

I had tough professors, and I definitely have one in mind where I know I should have scored a higher grade, but didn't, based on a subjective essay.

The major thing is that universities have professors that have to reasonably teach, and have to reasonably grade, its just a much stronger requirement.

With CC's, you may venture into a classroom where no one scores well, and no one cares, not even the the individuals above the instructor.

I'd be much more scared to be placed in a random CC than a class at MIT, because I feel as though the MIT professor would just be a much more fair instructor and represent your grade infinitely better than many CC instructors.

While I agree with you, I think universities have a different standard than CC's.

I had tough professors, and I definitely have one in mind where I know I should have scored a higher grade, but didn't, based on a subjective essay.

The major thing is that universities have professors that have to reasonably teach, and have to reasonably grade, its just a much stronger requirement.

With CC's, you may venture into a classroom where no one scores well, and no one cares, not even the the individuals above the instructor.

I'd be much more scared to be placed in a random CC than a class at MIT, because I feel as though the MIT professor would just be a much more fair instructor and represent your grade infinitely better than many CC instructors.
Never been to MIT, but I've been to CC and almost a semester full at a 4 year uni. Not given what being 'reasonable' is, I would assume that it's called 'doing their job.' In terms of that, CC professors do care and do teach the material reasonably. So saying that no one cares at CC is just a terrible statement.
Hope you don't actually feel this way :( Because man, that's a tough and strong sentiment against CC. A blatant one to me personally lol :p

Never been to MIT, but I've been to CC and almost a semester full at a 4 year uni. Not given what being 'reasonable' is, I would assume that it's called 'doing their job.' In terms of that, CC professors do care and do teach the material reasonably. So saying that no one cares at CC is just a terrible statement.
Hope you don't actually feel this way :( Because man, that's a tough and strong sentiment against CC. A blatant one to me personally lol :p

1. I never said CC professors were bad

2. I did say they were more likely to be unpredictable

Those are my "statements".

1. I never said CC professors were bad

2. I did say they were more likely to be unpredictable

Those are my "statements".
Yes, and also I'm saying that it's unpredictable here at 4 years too.

Yes, and also I'm saying that it's unpredictable here at 4 years too.

I disagree. I think universities are fairly predictable in terms of competency for their professors.

I disagree. I think universities are fairly predictable in terms of competency for their professors.
And I don't want to bash one of my current professors right now. But my dude, let me tell you. Not true xD
Edit: sorry OP, for I have hijacked your post. I will end this here right now since I look stupid :(

And I don't want to bash one of my current professors right now. But my dude, let me tell you. Not true xD
Edit: sorry OP, for I have hijacked your post. I will end this here right now since I look stupid :(

I'm sure there are excellent college professors. I have the qualifications to be one, and in the past I've been an excellent instructor at University.

There really is a difference between accredited university professors and college instructors though.

Generally the differences are:

1.) Masters vs PhD

2.) 2-3 years graduate school and 12-16 lab courses taught as Masters vs. 6-10 years graduate school and 30-50 lab courses taught as Ph.D student, plus Post-Doc.

3.) CC's have an iffy overall support school system vs Universities which have a strict formula for teaching

etc.

I'm sure there are excellent college professors. I have the qualifications to be one, and in the past I've been an excellent instructor at University.

There really is a difference between accredited university professors and college instructors though.

Generally the differences are:

1.) Masters vs PhD

2.) 2-3 years graduate school and 12-16 lab courses taught as Masters vs. 6-10 years graduate school and 30-50 lab courses taught as Ph.D student, plus Post-Doc.

3.) CC's have an iffy overall support school system vs Universities which have a strict formula for teaching

etc.
Good point that there is a difference between CC and 4 years. Never would've realized..

But still, you don't get my point: never generalize.
Because...
1) many of my professors at CC had PhD. LATTC | Science – Professors
(Now I realized, all of my chem professors had a PhD)
One of my current instructor here does not have a PhD yet.
2) Go to the link, many of them have PhD's and >10 years experience.
3) California CC has some great support from the state. It's a big feeder to UC's like Berkeley and UCLA.

Also, let's just drop this, because clearly this isn't the subject of this thread.

Good point that there is a difference between CC and 4 years.

But still, you don't get my point: never generalize.
Because...
1) many of my professors at CC had PhD. LATTC | Science – Professors
One of my current instructor here does not have a PhD yet.
2) Go to the link, many of them have PhD's and >10 years experience.
3) California CC has some great support from the state. It's a big feeder to UC Berkeley and UCLA.

Also, let's just drop this, because clearly this isn't the subject of this thread.

Yes, but my point is ALL universities have the criteria I mentioned above, while only SOME CC colleges do.

Thus back to my original point, universities are more PREDICTABLE.

Yes, but my point is ALL universities have the criteria I mentioned above, while only SOME CC colleges do.

Really? Okay! Yeah, I won't respond anymore..

but the prof. has a very thick accent that I can't understand and also doesn't explain things in different ways when I ask questions
hopefully you will learn from this experience. But material at universities is self-taught. don't rely on professors. Learn your material and use as much resources as you can. for some questions use professor or TAs. For most questions, you will find many useful internet resources.

Last edited:
If he offers a curve that D (64%) is actualy a good C

lol

I didn't study outside of school in High School at all. I was 4.0 student. I was best student in Calc and state competitions. There are many people who did extremely well in HS without much effort. He is not a troll.

College is defferent.

exactly, I have more than 160 credits behind my back at 4-year universities and I can say that more than 50% of my professors didn' care about you either. It's self studying. Study and take your 3-4 exams. Done.

exactly, I have more than 160 credits behind my back at 4-year universities and I can say that more than 50% of my professors didn' care about you either. It's self studying. Study and take your 3-4 exams. Done.
Bruh, how the **** do you have 160 credit? There are 8 semesters in a regular 4-years so that's basically a 20 per semester.

lol

I didn't study outside of school in High School at all. I was 4.0 student. I was best student in Calc and state competitions. There are many people who did extremely well in HS without much effort. He is not a troll.

College is defferent.

On the flipside, there are also some people who messed up in high school and went on to crush academically in college, smash the MCAT and get into a great medical school. I'd much rather be in this category for sure. High school performance is irrelevant at this stage in the game.

OP, I'd refer to Khan Academy for any struggles in the sciences.

I would not generalize.

One of my professors for Cell Bio said this right on the first day of the class:

"I am a jerk. I know and I don't care. I am not doing slides and I write tiny on the board. If you don't see, sit closer or ask others for notes." and so on.

He really didn't care, never helped, talked fast, and his test were all long word problems. Averages were 45-55s.

My Orgo I averages were 36, 45 and then 56.
My Bachelors and post- Bacc was 100% in big state universities and I know what I say.

I have taken some CC courses and my sis got her AA at CC. I can compare.

That's why most med schools prefer university education over CC is because CC is a lot easier.

Bruh, how the **** do you have 160 credit? There are 8 semesters in a regular 4-years so that's basically a 20 per semester.
easy,

Did 5 semesters, then switched major and had to do another 5 semesters; most were 16-17 credits and last one was 21 credits.
Did my Post-Bacc and after Post-Bacc took 2 semesters at CC.

Hi everyone,
So I'm a first gen trying to work my way through college and I guess I've messed up pretty bad. I've read through a lot of similar forums but I don't think I read through any about CCs, so I wanted to ask for advice.
I'm doing VERY poorly in gen chem 1. I'm not making excuses, but the prof. has a very thick accent that I can't understand and also doesn't explain things in different ways when I ask questions since his first language isn't English, so it's made lecture sessions very difficult for me. I think I just don't know how to study properly (I never studied in HS and still got a 4.0 in all AP classes) and I'm really struggling.
So I have a D in chem and there's really no way to dig my way out of this D, even if I were to get 100%s on every test and assignment from here on out.
I also have an A in gen bio 1, an A in public speaking, and a B+ in spanish. So should I keep the D and hope medical schools with look past it as just a bad first semester, or drop it? I'm worried that, since I'm at a community college, the D will look worse than it would at a "real" university.
My parents have no valuable advice for me and I've worked myself up into a crisis over this so :( any advice?

There is an easy fix to having an un-understandable chemistry lecturer: khan academy.

Reactions: 2 users
On the flipside, there are also some people who messed up in high school and went on to crush academically in college, smash the MCAT and get into a great medical school. I'd much rather be in this category for sure. High school performance is irrelevant at this stage in the game.

OP, I'd refer to Khan Academy for any struggles in the sciences.
I agree. I would prefer to be in that category too. I guess for some (or most) of us who did well in HS and didn't put much effort, college transition was a trap. Since, college is different. That's how it was for me. I struggled for my first 2 years and then started rocking.

I agree that universities have better standards and criteria and that their professors are better educated and such, but it does not meat that they will have better personalities, better teaching skills, teaching commitment and such. Science professors (PhDs) do research at universities and are required to reach certain hours. If it's not their priority, you can guess the outcome.

They are busy with other things, and some see teaching class differently even though they are qualified and competent.

lol

College is defferent.

But a 4.0 in all AP courses without studying just sounds... strange

I agree that universities have better standards and criteria and that their professors are better educated and such, but it does not meat that they will have better personalities, better teaching skills, teaching commitment and such. Science professors (PhDs) do research at universities and are required to reach certain hours. If it's not their priority, you can guess the outcome.

They are busy with other things, and some see teaching class differently even though they are qualified and competent.

Having spent extensive time with both university professors and college instructors as an instructor (not as a student), I'd have to say that universities set up more "competitive" professors in terms of competency for their positions, on "average".

Professors mainly focused on research still teach generally perfectly fine, grade fairly, and know what they're doing. They may not specifically "care" for the student more than a college instructor, but they care about their own "competency" quite a bit.

I'd drop, learn from it and move on OP. This stuff happens. It will not seriously affect your app as long as it doesn't turn into a trend.

I went to CC for all prerequisites except biochem and was fortunate to have had great teachers. On the first day of class in Orgo I, my CC teacher said that his class saved lives because it deterred average students who had wanted to go to med school before starting it. He also had a very thick African accent but was extremely passionate about teaching. That was still, to this day, my hardest class in undergrad but also one of my favorite. With that being said, this teacher also taught gen chem at the CC, and I heard from numerous students that they hated having him for gen chem, so I think it's class and teacher dependent. No joke, one of my biggest pieces of advice for new students (especially at CC) is to use ratemyprofessor.com when making their semester schedule.