Sorry if this has been already asked but...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lord_Vader

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
what are the most important factors considered when matching into an IR fellowship? I know that diagnostic rad has an average Step 1 score of 240 but there is almost no information/statistics available about what it takes to match into IR. Do Step 2 and 3 scores matter more at that point because it's a fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

Step 2 of 270 or more. Otherwise, 10+ first author publication.

Reactions: 5 users
IR is increasingly competitive with 50 people not matching in the most recent match. I think you need to figure out ways to separate yourself from other applicants. This could be in IR dedicated research, IR mini-fellowships, clinical rotations during residency such as ICU or vascular surgery. Also, going to the SIR annual meeting and making contacts would be helpful. Strong letters from your program director and IR chief and a phone call from a respected IR to your program of choice would be helpful. I do not feel that STEP scores are as important at this point . Work hard on your IR rotation (get there early and stay late). Read up on your patients.

Reactions: 1 user
For IR fellowship: Step scores are not important. Letters of recommendation are very important.

For the new IR/Dr residency: TBD. Step scores will probably be significant by default. Research will also be key to showing interest and commitment to IR.