Sorry, another "do i have a chance" post

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cake eater

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm third year from a top 25 med school, and I recently realized that I might want to do derm. Unfortunately, I don't know if I would have a chance at matching. Step 1 230-235, honors/high passes in all clerkships so far, basic science paper in plastics third author.
Would I have a chance trying to focus on derm this late in the game? If so, what should I try to focus on in the next 7 months before applications? What about away rotations?

I'd appreciate any input... It's very intimidating trying to find what I'm going to do with the rest of my life...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm no expert but I would say those stats look good!

A rotation in derm would be nice. An away rotation would help. Letters of recommendation from derm attendings would help. If you wanted to take a year off and do research in derm, that may help as well!

Your stats are good - if anything your Step 1 is justlower than average for a successful derm applicant, but plenty have matched with your scores or lower. I'm guessing your class rank is decent.

I've always had the feeling that basic science papers are more impressive to residency programs than typical derm publications, so I think you have one huge plus in your favor.

Honor your home derm program (if one exists), and do 1 (2 if you're ambitious) aways at programs at which you have a chance and at which you'll get to interact with faculty.

thanks for the replies! it's comforting to know that I'm not completely out. Does anyone know of derm programs where you can have good contact with fairly big name attendings? I'm probably already behind on the applying for away rotations boat, but might as well give it a shot?