General SOPHAS Academic Reference Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vespasian

"Vae, puto deus fio!"
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having a former teacher complete a reference for me and they have offered me two options;

1. They complete the reference. I worked on their research project and I had one of their classes. This particular professor is a doctoral candidate.

2. They have the lab supervisor complete the reference. The letter wouldn't include anything about my class performance or having taken a course but it is coming from someone with a PhD.

I already have one PhD academic/research reference and will possibly have one more too. Would it be better to have the first or second option for my SOPHAS application?

Thanks!

TL;DR: do I get a reference with a phd who didn't teach me or a reference without one who did teach me?

Members don't see this ad.

In this case, I would definitely suggest the one that can give a stronger recommendation. If that means it is the one who is only a doctoral candidate, so be it. From what it sounds like, your lab supervisor will not be able to discuss your strong potential as a candidate as well as the former professor.

Reactions: 1 user