Soooo something bad happened...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hawkeye122017

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I literally just got done taking the DAT. Everything went well except one thing...OC.

The general breakdown of my scores are: Bio-20, GC-21, and the dreaded OC-15.

This caused my TS to be an 18. What are your thoughts on this? I know 18 isn't the greatest score but my main question is, will having a 15 in OC detrimentally cost me? Do some schools even consider/accept candidates that received a 15 in one of the major science categories? I would love to hear any personal stories that confirm or deny this idea. Anyone know of anyone that got into school with a 15 in a science category?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you, I would retake it. Now you know what subjects to focus on. Your BIO and GC sections are sharp, though. Nice.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hows the rest of the scores on the test? AA and PAT? How is your GPA. If you have a 20+ AA and a decent GPA then you may not need to retake it? Thats a maybe though.

I used the Kaplan DAT book and DAT Destroyer, but I didn't make it through the whole DAT Destroyer by the time of the test. Poor planning on half because the sections I did get through (GC and Bio) I did well in! I will definitely say that DAT Destroyer was AMAZING. I should have focused my OC studies more on the Destroyer in retrospect.

I was super confident going into Bio and GC but OC is not my strong suit (as you can tell) so I DID get nervous.

So here is a bit about me: I have a B.A. in Biology with a 3.5 GPA. I am currently finishing up my masters with a 4.0 GPA. I have increased my number of observation hours in a dental office by 100 hrs. I have done biology lab research for 3 years. I actively volunteer in the community. My DAT scores were: TS 18, AA18, PAT 18.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I did just receive an invitation to interview (I emailed admissions of the schools I applied to with an attached 'unofficial score report'), but that score still has me worried!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Good job. Go to the interview. I hope you get in. However, there is a possibility you might have to retake.

UPDATE: I did just receive an invitation to interview (I emailed admissions of the schools I applied to with an attached 'unofficial score report'), but that score still has me worried!!!

Congrats! Your GPA is great. Since you are doing grad school that will definitely help you a lot. You mentioned that you are getting a 4.0 in grad school, which is very very good. So, I think you might be good, but I can't say much about the AA for the DAT. I would try and get a 20+ or even a 19 to be safe. Its better to get a 20+ though. You said you didn't do all of Ochem Destroyer. If I were you I would go through it all over again and do each subject multiple times if you plan to re-take it. Good luck and congrats on the interview again!