Soon To Be RN,BSN seeking answers...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JuliaGulia

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I will be graduating from nursing school this December (12/03) with my RN,BSN degree. Upon graduating, I will have two years of experience working as a Nurse Extern on an Orthopedic/Neuro unit. I am extremely interested in Travel Nursing, yet don't know where to start. With the current nursing shortage, is one year of experience still a requirement to be a Travel Nurse? Does a Nurse Externship count as experience? May I apply for a Travel Nurse position while finishing my final semester of nursing school? Do Travel Nursing agencies honor the preliminary working permit after an individual takes the boards? (Some hospitals enable individuals to work as RNs after taking their boards while awaiting the results of the exam). I would GREATLY appreciate any information provided regarding this topic. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Im not sure if one year is still a requirement but I have a friend who graduated and less than 6 months after passing boards was a working in Oahu as a travel nurse.

Congratulations on your upcoming graduation date. Most travel companies do want at least a year of experience as an RN. You really need at least a year to get comfortable with your skills and your nursing practice in general.

Have you checked out allnurses.com? There is a ton of info. on that discussion forum. There is even one specific to travel nursing.

Good luck to you!!

Thanks for your replies pihkal, and nsg98. The information you provided was a great help. nsg98, the website you recommended was wonderful. Thanks again you two!!:)

Anyone else with info. to offer regarding this topic please feel
free to respond. :clap: