sonogram question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stoleyerscrubz

Registered User and Stuff
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to use a sonogram to detect pregnancy at 2 weeks?

Members don't see this ad.

2 weeks gestation or 2 weeks by LMP? By LMP, no because that would be about the time conception is occuring. 2 weeks gestation, it is possible. Although all you would see would be a gestational sack most of the time. Why not just take a pregnancy test.

25yo friend thinks she's pregnant:
1)she takes the EPT test and she, for whatever reason, can't determine the results.

2)She comes over and she takes the EPT test again so I can help her read it and it is definitely negative. She is 3 days late and she is freaking out. Maybe she has never been late before but she decides to go visit her gynecologist the next day.

3)gynecologist does a urine test which is negative and then he does a sonogram and says there is a 50/50 chance she is pregnant.

I did not know that they could use a sonogram so early which was the reason for the post. And I don't know anything about gynecology but I thought it was strange to make such a determination given the circumstances.

Thanks for helping me out. :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe she just ovulated late. If she ovulated late then her period would be later than usual.

The correlation between doing sonos and seeing an IUP can be best made with BHCG quants. If the GYN did not see a pregnancy but thought that there were signs, then he likely saw endometrial change suggesting a pregnancy. Regardless, if this is intended, tell your friend to start taking her vitamins and wait a couple of weeks and go back. Otherwise she can have a Beta level drawn from her blood and a transvaginal sono once a week (somewhat of an overkill though)

Good Luck

You guys are totally missing the point. Beta HCG Blood analysis of pregnancy hormone is the most sensitive to determine pregnancy. TV/US (transvaginal ultrasound) has a threshold of value usually above a BHCG of 1500.

Furthermore freaking out over being 3 days late? Menses are irregular at times. Go to physician or ER if she is so concerned and get a beta HCG.

Simple terms:
ovulation ( time egg and sperm join) this is 2 weeks after your period
+ pregnancy test: 2 weeks after this at earliest (BHCG will be about 400)BHCG 1500 - at 5 weeks past menses (period)

To be concerned if you have had trichimonas, gonorrhea, or chyamidia as it scars the fallopian tubes and could cause an ectopic pregnancy this is seen by spotting and cramping pain and positive preganacy test

Diane, did you just recommend going to the ED for a 3 day late period? :D You know inevitably that will end up as me being called in the middle of a case to the ER for a consult.

If its 3 days late, take a pregnancy test and if you still want assurance go see your OB as an outpatient.

I do agree with Diane though (as I stated in my post), get the Beta level and all the suspense over with.

Beta-HCG levels are the best way to find out pregnancy. Periods are usaully not on time for most of the girls. So, missing a period for 3 days, I would not be concern. I would do OTC pregnancy test, if you want to avoid doc. fees, 14 days after I miss the period. The reason for this is that b-HCG that OTC test also measures are higher 2 weeks after missing a period. Also, when you do this OTC test, make sure you do this test in the morning with your first urinatination b/c that's when the hormone levels are at peak. F.Y.I. b-HCG levels dobules every 48 hrs so within 14 days, it WILL show you if you are pregnant; unless the OTC test is outdated.

However, the best way is to go to a physician after 10-14 days and then have the doc do blood test that measures b-HCG. This will give you the most accurate results.

Hope this helps and congratulations if you are pregnant and if it was planned...Or else ooooooooooooopps.

Okay so I'm just curious. My friend was a week late but had a negative OTC test. She went to the doc and her urine HCG was negative. Went back, urine still negative, did sonogram, and decided she was pregnant. Never did a blood HCG that I know of. A month later she did an OTC test for kicks and it was positive. She's due in September. I'm also trying to conceive, and I was told by the NP I saw at one point that it's impossible for the urine HCG to be negative if one is pregnant. So what gives?

She is incorrect. There are several instances in which the urine pregnancy test will not return a positive result even though a patient is in fact pregnant. One is in the case of the Beta being less than 25-50 (very early in the pregnancy), others being thyroid dysfunction, certain drugs, diluted urine, etc.

Please may I ask a question?

If you are pregnant and have a blood test to test for BHCG would it show a definitive answer 8 days after the day your period was due?

rubylo said:
Please may I ask a question?

If you are pregnant and have a blood test to test for BHCG would it show a definitive answer 8 days after the day your period was due?

yes. a urine test would also show as positive.

Just a fact I thought was interesting- at the children's hospital I worked at last summer the blood and urine tests were equivalent. They would either drop urine onto the dipstick or blood onto the dipstick. They no longer sent blood up to the lab- so when teenagers came in and said they'd done a pregnancy test at home and it was positive and had a urine test done at the hospital and it was positive and wanted a blood test for "proof," it was a waste of money and time as it's the same test.

Obviously this may not be true at all ERs/hospitals, but I'm amused that so many people think a blood test is so much more definitive than urine when they're both testing for the same chemical substance, BhCG.

DrBuzzLightYear said:
yes. a urine test would also show as positive.

Members don't see this ad :)
jbish said:
but I'm amused that so many people think a blood test is so much more definitive than urine when they're both testing for the same chemical substance, BhCG.

Why are you amused? It's obvious - urine can be diluted can't it? jeeze even I know that and I'm not even a Doctor!!!!!!!!! Hope I'm never treated by you :eek:

rubylo said:
Why are you amused? It's obvious - urine can be diluted can't it? jeeze even I know that and I'm not even a Doctor!!!!!!!!! Hope I'm never treated by you :eek:
why do you have to be such a jerk? everyone is trying to help you. and frankly it's not obvious, and your ability to drink water to dilute your urine enough to negate a test is questionable.

DrBuzzLightYear said:
why do you have to be such a jerk? everyone is trying to help you. and frankly it's not obvious, and your ability to drink water to dilute your urine enough to negate a test is questionable.

hehehehehe! It IS obvious! it even says it on the test instructions. That's why you have to test 2st thing in the AM - DOH! :rolleyes:

rubylo

If you think your urine can be diluted-- why can't your blood be diluted?

you drink -- goes through GI -- absorbed by blood -- filtered by kidneys = URINE

dilute blood= dilute urine.

snowinter said:
rubylo

If you think your urine can be diluted-- why can't your blood be diluted?

you drink -- goes through GI -- absorbed by blood -- filtered by kidneys = URINE

dilute blood= dilute urine.

it can't be as readily diluted - thank about it! think of the colour of urine (ie clear) when you've had a few glasses of water). Can't believe I'm explaining this to a medical student :)

I'm amused because I don't think people understand that it is the same dipstick with the same positive/negative. And if you'd worked in the clinic I was in, you'd have seen that everyone there was dehydrated and had dark yellow/orange urine, making it nearly impossible that their urine results were diluted.

I can't believe I'm explaining this to you.

And you'll be really lucky if I one day grace your presence long enough to treat you as a patient.

rubylo said:
it can't be as readily diluted - thank about it! think of the colour of urine (ie clear) when you've had a few glasses of water). Can't believe I'm explaining this to a medical student :)

jbish said:
I'm amused because I don't think people understand that it is the same dipstick with the same positive/negative. And if you'd worked in the clinic I was in, you'd have seen that everyone there was dehydrated and had dark yellow/orange urine, making it nearly impossible that their urine results were diluted.

I can't believe I'm explaining this to you.

And you'll be really lucky if I one day grace your presence long enough to treat you as a patient.

but you can't assume that EVERYBODY is dehydrated. I for one drink plenty of water. In fact, I had a test done when I was last pregnant and it positive in the AM and negative in the PM (the PM one done at a surgery) so the Doctor did a blood test which came back positive. Surely that proves the point?

based on my reading, morning urine HCG and serum HCG are equally sensitive. so, if you perform the test as it is supposed to be done, there is really no difference...however, early on a dilute urine sample may actually give you a false negative...but, this just means you did the test improperly. it is not neccessary nor more accurate to use serum to detect a pregnancy. a properly done urine test is enough.

rubylo said:

uh....you are wrong. a blood test is not more sensitive than a properly done urine test. while urine may be more dilute, a proper urine test is done in the morning. and, a dilute urine will only give a false neg early on when levels are low. so, if you do the test wrong, it may be negative. but, the blood is NOT more accurate than the urine.

However, to make it really simple and to not have to worry about dilute urine or time of day or other non-sense.. it just makes sense to do a serum HCG Quant. Yeah, you have to suffer the horrendous pain of a 23 gauge butterfly stick ;) , but i think she would survive.