Somebody you know try to figure out your SDN username?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

perdvert

Ya' Heard With Perd
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm so annoyed that this happened to me because I like my old account and literally had to make a new one today because enough was enough...

So one of my friends that knew I used SDN is actively trying to figure out which username is mine (i.e. reading through people's post histories if I shared something in common with them). I'm purposefully not sharing details about my application cycle with this friend because I don't want it to become a competition between the two of us. But it got to the point where I was uncomfortable posting under my old account because I knew my friend was trying to connect the dots back to me.

Has this happened to anyone else before?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like you're friends with some annoying people.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wouldn’t making this post give it away that you are annoyed with said person?

Reactions: 3 users
Wouldn’t making this post give it away that you are annoyed with said person?

It's possible, but this is vague, and I still changed some of the details. I know one other person that this is happening to as well; I just wanted to see if it was more common!

Reactions: 1 users
I have ways of dealing with that
go-on-gif-4.gif

Just kidding; please no serial killing

You should tell them to respect your privacy, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, it's happened, it's annoying as hell. If it happens by accident that someone figures out who I am then whatever, but some people like go out of their way to investigate it, which imo is not OK.

I am unimportant enough to not care, and I doubt anyone would bother going through the effort.

Sorry you’re stuck dealing with this though, kinda obnoxious of your friend to do that. Maybe consider owning it if they persist and tell them off?

I'm so annoyed that this happened to me because I like my old account and literally had to make a new one today because enough was enough...

So one of my friends that knew I used SDN is actively trying to figure out which username is mine (i.e. reading through people's post histories if I shared something in common with them). I'm purposefully not sharing details about my application cycle with this friend because I don't want it to become a competition between the two of us. But it got to the point where I was uncomfortable posting under my old account because I knew my friend was trying to connect the dots back to me.

And your post isn't another dot that can be connected?

Reactions: 6 users
Know a handful of SDN users IRL but we have a good idea of our ranking and try to not make a big deal about it.

The premed world is tinier than it seems, anyone who tries hard enough can get to your identity. Best you can do is not make them curious enough to.

It wouldn't surprise me. But throw out some disinformation to throw him off the scent.

I honestly don't care if people IRL found my SDN but if it was a friend doing it to learn my stats I'd be pretty pissed. Pre-meds need to chill with being obsessed with how other people are doing.

Reactions: 2 users
One person I know IRL knows my handle (you know who you are...). It's not a big deal because I'm a pretty embarrassing person to begin with so it's not like he/she is shocked by what I write anyway.

People have guessed it since it's obvious once you get to know me. Plus not everyone is cool enough to have a red tuxedo labradoodle.

Who is adorable by the way. :) :)

I always wondered what kind of doggie that was. :) He/she looks like a real life teddy bear! :)