Somebody HELP!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bustbones26

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, let me tell my story here. I am a three year HPSP scholarship student. I am currently in my third year of medical school. Because of my three year HPSP agreement, I have not had the chance to go to OBC yet.

I really wanted to try to go to OBC this summer. But I am going to have neurosurgery this upcoming December. Thus, I will still be making up time from my third year at the beggining of my fourth year.

For this reason, I was going to just skip OBC. Some tell me that its no big deal if I do this. But others are telling me that I should still suffer with my school officials and try to work out going this summer if I can, maybe even consider taking no vacation time and graduateing late, because some people honestly think it will be a negative strike against me when I apply for residency with the Army, especially since I am considering applying for orthopedics, which is always a competitive program no matter where you apply.

Advice from anybody on what I should do?

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody will care about OBC. A small but significant number of the residents I worked with on three rotations didn't go. If you don't do it, they will make you do after your residency (if at all). If you want to do ortho, they are interested in you being smart, assertive and hardworking.

Ed