some info needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shiu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I failed the mccqe1, I don't know yet why. I studied by TN, did on line test from USMLE and KAPLAN and had pretty good scores. I was wandering if anyone may help me with some ideas what more can I do? How much will this result affect my match at CARMS by next year? I'm going for the next session in spring, but I 'm not sure how should I study now. I appreciate any kind of info or ideas.
thanks!:oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I failed the mccqe1, I don't know yet why. I studied by TN, did on line test from USMLE and KAPLAN and had pretty good scores. I was wandering if anyone may help me with some ideas what more can I do? How much will this result affect my match at CARMS by next year? I'm going for the next session in spring, but I 'm not sure how should I study now. I appreciate any kind of info or ideas.
thanks!:oops:

It is same here. I applied spring 08 session this week. Can you tell me where you are living. We may study together if it is convenient.

I'm sorry for you 1998, I know how you may feel. I live in Mississauga.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems we have to figure out how to improve our study by ourselve.

I just took TOEFL test last week. Next week I will start with Swanson book for QE1. Tell me your schedule. We can exchange our study experience.

I am living in Vancouver. You can give me a phone call if you like or I can phone you. My phone number is 604-261-0715.

I'll be going in US for the holiday season, I'll be back in January. I've heard about Swanson before but I don't know how it is. you think is better than TN? I'll give you details when I came back. It looks like we are far away.

I will review TN as well.

Hope this provides some help. I recently passed the spring MCCEE and have recently passed the Fall 2007 MCCQE Part I exam. The Part I exam was the hardest exam I have written to date. The material covered so no more technical or difficult to grasp then the Usmle exams but the time constraints are greater. My suggestion is you read the toronto notes during the same time you do the usmleworld step 2 qbank. It's all you really need, besides some confidence and good nights rest. Your confidence might be shaken at the moment, so i suggest you take a break and relax and then start up again in the new year. take care.

Hope this provides some help. I recently passed the spring MCCEE and have recently passed the Fall 2007 MCCQE Part I exam. The Part I exam was the hardest exam I have written to date. The material covered so no more technical or difficult to grasp then the Usmle exams but the time constraints are greater. My suggestion is you read the toronto notes during the same time you do the usmleworld step 2 qbank. It's all you really need, besides some confidence and good nights rest. Your confidence might be shaken at the moment, so i suggest you take a break and relax and then start up again in the new year. take care.

Your method is the exact method I used for my QE1 test. I did UW for CK three times and read TN when I check the answers for UW questions. I got 95 for CK, but I failed QE1. The funny thing is I didn't feel MCQs on QE1 much more difficult than MCCEE. This makes me feel very frustrated.

I got 269, 259 on steps 1 and 2 and got a >99 percentile on the MCCEE.
I watched the step 2 videos for some general introduction.....but the difference between mccqe1 and step 2 ck is the ethics....thats what my preceptor in my clinical rotations told me to focus on....i suggest you watch the ethic step 2 videos and read the section in the toronto notes.....just read don't memorize.....there was no real way to prepare for the ethics questions and got alot of them...you just need to know some principles and pick the most logical answer...theres only one remember.

I got 269, 259 on steps 1 and 2 and got a >99 percentile on the MCCEE.
I watched the step 2 videos for some general introduction.....but the difference between mccqe1 and step 2 ck is the ethics....thats what my preceptor in my clinical rotations told me to focus on....i suggest you watch the ethic step 2 videos and read the section in the toronto notes.....just read don't memorize.....there was no real way to prepare for the ethics questions and got alot of them...you just need to know some principles and pick the most logical answer...theres only one remember.
The videos you talked about is Kaplan ones?

The videos you talked about is Kaplan ones?
I think so too, I heard some people study from them. Thnks guys, I believe I have done the same thing, but feeling kind of stupid now, I have to except, I failed it. As about MCCEE I don't think that was a hard one, at least comparing it with step 2. though it is so hard to tak ethat break and trying to go back on the trauck again. Not to mention the time wasted! Nice to talk to both of you!

you should refrain from that negative self-talk. You have to write it again, so why not be in the best frame of mind to do it. you need a break or else your studying is not going to be fruitful.....i was lazy for part I and studied for about 28 days and hard for last 7. but i was in a relaxed state to absorb the information and not waste time about worrying. If you want to be a doctor that will treat my family members I'd rather you be confident, even though you might not have been always successful in everything you do---- we are humans after all, right? look if you need help in making a plan, I can help you, but if your hell bent on feeling sorry for yourself then only time and you can do that. relax and then hit it again.

Members don't see this ad :)
those were the kaplan videos.
I am very appreciated for you paying attention to our problem and giving us excellent advice!

I will spend more time watching Kaplan videos. I got Step 2 and 3 videos both. Do you think CLEO or other materials reccommended by MCC are helpful? Did you use those materials besides UW and TN?

Watch the videos without pausing....watch them again if you feel you need to. then do usmleworld random and read TN each day while you do the questions. 5 weeks is enough.

Hi dhillon! Thanks for your advice! I usually am a positive person, a hardworking and I only failed once during my university years. I took it very hard this time and I'm feeling a lot under the pression of my life going so fast and me sitting still in the library with my books. I'm lucky to be surrounded by some very supportive people, but sometime I worry to much and I lose my focus. I believe that's what happend to me this time. In my mind the only bell ringing is if Ill make it through this hard competition and what if I don't get matched after all this sacrifices!!! I strongly appreciate your comments and support! Thanks a lot! I received my mail from MCC today and the worst score is Cleo Phelo and surgery, the last one kind of surprises me a lot! Everything is just at 390 mark. Can you help with some advice, what kind of books should I consult about this subjects beside TN? Also, where you guys did find Kaplan Video, at the Kaplan centre in Toronto I checked and I was told about some of their courses (expensive for me) but they don't sell their books or videos. Thanks again to both you guys that have come forward and talking.

Hi dhillon! Thanks for your advice! I usually am a positive person, a hardworking and I only failed once during my university years. I took it very hard this time and I'm feeling a lot under the pression of my life going so fast and me sitting still in the library with my books. I'm lucky to be surrounded by some very supportive people, but sometime I worry to much and I lose my focus. I believe that's what happend to me this time. In my mind the only bell ringing is if Ill make it through this hard competition and what if I don't get matched after all this sacrifices!!! I strongly appreciate your comments and support! Thanks a lot! I received my mail from MCC today and the worst score is Cleo Phelo and surgery, the last one kind of surprises me a lot! Everything is just at 390 mark. Can you help with some advice, what kind of books should I consult about this subjects beside TN? Also, where you guys did find Kaplan Video, at the Kaplan centre in Toronto I checked and I was told about some of their courses (expensive for me) but they don't sell their books or videos. Thanks again to both you guys that have come forward and talking.
You can buy those videos from here:
http://www.usmleforum.com/forum/index.php?forum=6

Watch the videos without pausing....watch them again if you feel you need to. then do usmleworld random and read TN each day while you do the questions. 5 weeks is enough.

It seems I got all materials you suggested. Now I need still focus to go through them.
This time I will take notes when I read and watch. This should improve my memorization.
I will tell you what I get for the second try.
Thank you so much for your help!
All best for your medical career!
Merry Christmas!

No need to buy stuff. Give me your email and send a prepaid canadapost label for delivery to your address...go to the canadapost website.....and i'll send you my stuff.....let me know what you need.

hi again! thnks, for everything but I would like to pay you at least something. Anyway, I'll be back after jan.2. I'll let you know then, meantime Happy Holidays and all the best in your future! You seems to be like a very good person who is there for the others in need, exactly what a doctor needs to have! Thank you!

hi 1998! I also would like to thank you and I wish you all the best and good luck in spring. When I come back in january I'll contact you in case that you still would be interested. Till then, Happy Holidays and take care!

hi 1998! I also would like to thank you and I wish you all the best and good luck in spring. When I come back in january I'll contact you in case that you still would be interested. Till then, Happy Holidays and take care!
Merry Christmas to you too!

No need to buy stuff. Give me your email and send a prepaid canadapost label for delivery to your address...go to the canadapost website.....and i'll send you my stuff.....let me know what you need.

Hi, Dhillon2008:
Can you tell me what you think about Swanson's Family Practice Review? This book is reccommended by St. Paul OSCE program and some other people used for Step 3. But I found lots of information in there seems out of date. I am not sure whether or not I should finish this book.
Thank you!

You can read that book, but in the end result reading the queston scenarios and just reading the toronto notes not memorizing are going to help you on the part 1 exam....remember morning for 3 plus hours and the after 3 plus hours. Crush step 3 was a good review in the end ---not first aid.
i never read swanson...i was thinking of reviewing the washington manual......was that was a bit ambitions and didn;t even open a page. narrow your resources and do questions....i remember some canadian medicals students, when i was doing electives as a student, just doin questions. they did the canadian questions in the bank....but theres not good explanations. use the US question bank for explanations and then read epidemology-eithics and community health to get the canadian perspective.

medicine is medicine where ever you practice it. later

i dont understand what the mccqe1 scores mean
i got a total score of 597 in the nov 2007 session? is this good, or bad ? i know i passed but im not sure if this is out of 1000? or what it really means

You can read that book, but in the end result reading the queston scenarios and just reading the toronto notes not memorizing are going to help you on the part 1 exam....remember morning for 3 plus hours and the after 3 plus hours. Crush step 3 was a good review in the end ---not first aid.
i never read swanson...i was thinking of reviewing the washington manual......was that was a bit ambitions and didn;t even open a page. narrow your resources and do questions....i remember some canadian medicals students, when i was doing electives as a student, just doin questions. they did the canadian questions in the bank....but theres not good explanations. use the US question bank for explanations and then read epidemology-eithics and community health to get the canadian perspective.

Thank you for your advice again.
I decide not review Swanson any more. Do UW and review TN. If I still have time before test, maybe Crush Step 3.
Thank you again!

hi there! about the score you can check the MCC page at frequent qq. they will give you there the maximum scoreand the required one. Hope you'll be ok, anyway congratulations! If you don't mind why are you still in dilemma if you heve taken the exam last year?

Thank you for your advice again.
I decide not review Swanson any more. Do UW and review TN. If I still have time before test, maybe Crush Step 3.
Thank you again!

Hi 1998! What is UW? Did you read from Shah's book for the community medicine and legal aspects? TN is not sufficient, but I don.t know. first time I didn't and after the exam I realised that a had lots of qq from that part.

Hi 1998! What is UW? Did you read from Shah's book for the community medicine and legal aspects? TN is not sufficient, but I don.t know. first time I didn't and after the exam I realised that a had lots of qq from that part.

UW stands for USMLE World. It is question bank people use for CK and Step 3 exams.

I didn' hear about Shah's book. Can you tell me the full tittle?

UW stands for USMLE World. It is question bank people use for CK and Step 3 exams.

I didn' hear about Shah's book. Can you tell me the full tittle?
Hi there! Sorry to come back so late, but I'hadn't the possibility to check the email earlier. the full title is "Public Health and Preventive Medicine in Canada" by Dr. Chandrakant Shah.
I don't know if it is worthy to read it, but I believe that at least I should do some more work in this field. My lowest score!

I think I will review TN and UW first. If I still have time before test, I may have look with that book.
Thank you for your information.

Hi Dhillon 2008! I'm back, so I was thinking if you can help me with kaplan videos, if so please tell me what should I do. I already send you my email. thanks anyway and take care!

Hi....i Am A Vey New Member Of Forum With No Previous Experience.my Message Is For Shiu.i Live In Mississauga And I Drive So If There Is Any Way We Can Be Together For Studies ,lets Sort It Out.i Recently Failed Qe1 And It Is The Very First Failure Of My Life And I Am Not Coping Very Well.so Being With People Like Myself Could Be A Great Help.

Hi....i Am A Vey New Member Of Forum With No Previous Experience.my Message Is For Shiu.i Live In Mississauga And I Drive So If There Is Any Way We Can Be Together For Studies ,lets Sort It Out.i Recently Failed Qe1 And It Is The Very First Failure Of My Life And I Am Not Coping Very Well.so Being With People Like Myself Could Be A Great Help.
Sorry DJ to hear about your failure and I know perfect how you feel. I usually study at the library, burnhamthorpe branch, so if you want we can meet there. I'm also about to see a study group in toronto. You take care and try to recover. I think we will have our ups and downs more often as we started this road.

Well you know its the kind of support i ll be needing more often.I dont go to burnhamthorpe library but i can,so send me an e mail or something how would i be able to find you there?i am going on a vacation for a month...will be back by march.Iwant to see you before that.lets plan it before 6th of feb please.

hi there. i wanted to ask you whether there are canadian question backs out there? i'm writing EE on May 1st but i'm scared as hell. i've been using the kaplan Q&A to get me started (which was about a month ago). I've tried reading the TN but its not a book i can remember much from. i mainly answer questions and then read up stuff from TN. it doesn't feel like i'm getting alot in though and i'm panicking. i am going to join the UW tommorow (got my wisdom teeth removed today so kinda whoosy). but is there anything else i should be doing? can i make it with just 3 weeks left?

-Panick-stricken