Some advice on my personal statement for dental school application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sicemdude

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few different things I could emphasize. Each one would be great to include, but none of them are strong enough to stand alone. I'm having trouble connecting the ideas.

I'll lay out the facts, no intention of tooting my own horn, just want some guidance! And I'm not at all asking anyone to write the essay for me. Just maybe some ideas on angles I could take.

1. An incident I witnessed while shadowing. A boy was put under and stuff was not working quite properly. Long story short, breathing wasn't happening for a good 30 seconds, and I was terrified watching it.
I think this is powerful, and I could use it to show my experience shadowing and my understanding of all that dentistry includes, etc, etc.

2. I am have had a pretty good cultural exposure. My parents both came from very different, underprivileged backgrounds. Dad is from a poor country. I was born very poor and my parents worked their way up. Spent time with family members of different races. Went to poor high school. Etc.

3. Tooting my own horn part. Like working with hands, focused, achievement-driven personality, etc.

Thanks for your ideas!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd start with what made you interested in dentistry. Then, I'd talk about what you experienced and what you learned.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd start with what made you interested in dentistry. Then, I'd talk about what you experienced and what you learned.

I kind of want to start in the middle of the procedure, when things are going awry. I think that would be a pretty tastefully dramatic opening. I've seen it done and I like it. Maybe I could weave in how I got interested? Casually slip in some things that make me suited for dentistry?

At the moment, I've finished talking about the incident and I can't quite figure out where to go from here... I can't say I walked away from the incident with any revelation. I'll never forget it though. I guess I'll have to synthesize some takeaway.

Guys. I have 3 extracted teeth in the lower jaw (molars) and some fillings at the molars at the upper jaw. Soon I will have implants so I could get my teeth fixed... can I still enroll to dentistry even if I have some of my teeth implanted?

Guys. I have 3 extracted teeth in the lower jaw (molars) and some fillings at the molars at the upper jaw. Soon I will have implants so I could get my teeth fixed... can I still enroll to dentistry even if I have some of my teeth implanted?
Yes, don't let any imperfections stop you from applying. The dentist I shadowed has undergone many procedures himself and personally not everyone can have perfect oral health or teeth alignment. One of my friends had never been to a dentist and that empowered her to be one since the area never had any and she grew up not able to afford one... short story is that even though you're studying teeth doesn't mean your own teeth need to look like a typodont.

I was gonna say necrobump also :beat:but I can't be a hypocrite, when I first joined SDN, I brought up a thread from 2005 and some of the SDN members from then are now practicing dentists!

Reactions: 1 user