Some Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HemoBlast

Reaction score
I'm IMG with
The ultimate goal of becoming a hemato-oncologist at an academic institution.

I planned to apply this year, but I was offered a chief position at my institution.
If I take the position, due to H1 limitations, I will also need to do a year of hospitalist.

My question is "Is it worth for me to do a chief year and delay my fellowship application? Will the chief year be helpful in my future academic career position?"
"Are my chances to match really low if I declined the offer and go directly for chief year?"

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm IMG with
The ultimate goal of becoming a hemato-oncologist at an academic institution.

I planned to apply this year, but I was offered a chief position at my institution.
If I take the position, due to H1 limitations, I will also need to do a year of hospitalist.

My question is "Is it worth for me to do a chief year and delay my fellowship application? Will the chief year be helpful in my future academic career position?"
"Are my chances to match really low if I declined the offer and go directly for chief year?"

Thanks.
All you've told us is that you're an IMG and need a visa. Impossible to help answer those questions with such little information.

No perfect answer but here are a few considerations:

1) Will the hospitalist year secure you a green card quickly enough for you to apply for fellowship during that year? If yes, then doing it may be the better option. The reason is that AFAIK more IM fellowship programs have recently either gotten rid of or have minimized the H1b visas they offer, at least in part due to the current administration tampering with H1b fast-tracking. Thus, doing a chief year + having a green card will increase the number of interviews you are offered.

2) If the chief +/- hospitalist years do not secure you a green card, and assuming that the fellowship you are looking to go into is at least 3 years, then it is better to directly apply for fellowship (unless your application is otherwise very weak). A chief resident year does boost your CV and is particularly helpful for FMGs applying for the more competitive fellowships. However, maintaining H1b status beyond 6 years is a huge hassle. Most H1b holders that I know have regretted doing a chief year if they are in 3+ year fellowship programs. You'll be fine if you go into a 1-2 year fellowship (if that option is available in a heme/onc program).

I'm IMG with
The ultimate goal of becoming a hemato-oncologist at an academic institution. I planned to apply this year, but I was offered a chief position at my institution. If I take the position, due to H1 limitations, I will also need to do a year of hospitalist. My question is "Is it worth for me to do a chief year and delay my fellowship application? Will the chief year be helpful in my future academic career position?" "Are my chances to match really low if I declined the offer and go directly for chief year?"