Solubility Rules

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The South Face

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it necessary to know/memorize all the solubility rules and exceptions to them? If so, to what degree should we know them (ie every exception or general rules)

Members don't see this ad.

Is it necessary to know/memorize all the solubility rules and exceptions to them? If so, to what degree should we know them (ie every exception or general rules)

You should definitely know the solubility rules. I don't know if you need to know every exception.

What I did is compiled a table from the Kaplan and the Princeton books and then learned that. (Yes they are slightly different).

I never learned any.. I never saw any problem on an AAMC practice tests or the real deal that required you to memorize the rules
I never had to memorize them for a Chem class in high school or college either

there's so much other stuff they can test you on.. when it comes to solubility

But if you feel like you must, save it for the end if you have time left

I never learned any.. I never saw any problem on an AAMC practice tests or the real deal that required you to memorize the rules
I never had to memorize them for a Chem class in high school or college either

there's so much other stuff they can test you on.. when it comes to solubility

But if you feel like you must, save it for the end if you have time left

But did you already know it? It's not going to make a difference if you know solubility like the back of your hand and you're great at physical sciences. (Guessing by your score, you fit that example. Congrats btw:thumbup:)

It doesn't hurt to know them, since there are only 6 or 7.

Members don't see this ad :)
But did you already know it? It's not going to make a difference if you know solubility like the back of your hand and you're great at physical sciences. (Guessing by your score, you fit that example. Congrats btw:thumbup:)

It doesn't hurt to know them, since there are only 6 or 7.

Nope.. I don't know the solubility rules. I didn't bother memorizing them. I understood solubility and the Math... but I don't know which groups are more soluble/less soluble.

The MCATs a critical reading test. I won't say you might not have a random discreet on it. But if you don't know them at all and you have other problems on PS, focus on those first. Come back to memorizing the rules later if you have to.

While bozz is technically right in that you can usually figure out which species are soluble and which ones are not based on critical thinking, the solubility rules saved me a large portion of time on my exam. I think its worth it to learn them.

It is really a personal preference. I am the type of person who wouldn't be comfortable going into the MCAT without knowing the solubility rules even if they are not necessary to memorize. Knowing minor things like this will save you so much time on your MCAT.

All evidence for or against it is anecdotal. They're fair game, which means they could be asked. The only time you'll know with certainty whether it's necessary is after your exam. It's the kind of thing I'd be familiar with at the very least.

I wouldn't even consider skipping solubility rules. Just because you haven't seen them on a practice test does not mean they won't show up on your MCAT. No 2 MCAT's are created alike. As one of the above posters said, you won't know what is on your test until you are done...