Solubility Rules -- Any good ways to memorize?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Divineimpetus

Trucker's Atlas
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a mnemonic or a conceptual approach to solubility?

Members don't see this ad.

This is from the MCAT Discussions/General Chemistry questions thread. Problem is it doesn't quite cover everything...like all ammonium salts are soluble, for instance.

Here is SilvrGrey330's extremely clever mnemonic to remember salt solubility rules.

C A S H n Gia

Read it as "Cashin' Gia"...how to remember that? well the story is...im a pimp...and gia is my hoe, and i need to get my cash from her. hence...Cashing from gia.

C is clorates, A is acetates, S is sulfates, H is halogens, n is Nitrates, and Gia is Group I A metals. ---> THESE ARE ALL SOLUBLE, XCEPT

for S: Ca, Ba, Sr.....just remember the tv network CBS
for H: Ca, Ba, Sr + Happy...whats happy? Hb Ag Pb ...mercury, silvr and lead...add a py to the end and all the first letters spell HAPPY

and if its not part of CASHnGIA...its insoluble.

Divineimpetus said:
Does anyone have a mnemonic or conceptual approach to solubility?

Dont worry, I took the test two days ago and there wasnt one solubility question on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
From Chads GC Video 1.4 for DAT

1) all group 1 metals, nitrates, ammonium salts, perchlorate, acetate salts = soluble
2) most silver, lead, mercury salts are insoluble ***unless paired with #1

Here's how I remember it:

One solemn night, Amelia purchased an insanely large milk shake

group one, SOL-uble,nitrate, ammonium, perchlorate, acetate
INS-oluble, lead, mercury, silver

If you're from ATX you'll understand this: On her 21st birthday, Amelia went to 6th. After coming back from the E-bus, she needed a large vanilla milk shake and honey butter biscuit from Whataburger to fulfill her cravings.