Technology Software to Wipe Hard Drive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thrombomodulin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Take the hard drive out and give them the rest of the system. No consumer method of wiping a HD is 100%.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take the hard drive out and give them the rest of the system. No consumer method of wiping a HD is 100%.
Wiping existing data with null data ("zeroing out," or sanitization) is sufficient for nearly all businesses and people. A 3-pass erase meets DOD/NISP 5220.22M specifications for low level classified material (i.e., not classified secret or top secret).

It takes a lot of time and money to extract data after a 3-pass erase, and I doubt you have data that is that sensitive. If it's that sensitive, then you're best to 35-pass erase and destroy the hard drive. S and TS material requires not only a 35-pass zero erase, but also physical destruction of the hard by shredding and then melting the drive platters. People can still read some intertrack data from a sanitized disk, and sanitization doesn't erase residual data that resides in bad tracks/segments.

Keep in mind that a 7-pass erase will take about 12 hours on a 250 GB hard drive. A 35-pass erase takes days.

S and TS material requires not only a 35-pass zero erase, but also physical destruction of the hard by shredding and then melting the drive platters.

Whoa... kinda reminds me of the ending of Terminator 2 :D