Social science major applicant--question about upper-level science courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aflasa

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm a non-traditional applicant. I'm in my mid-20's and was an Army medic before college. I currently work in an ED. I have a ~3.8 overall GPA and a ~3.6 science GPA. I have several thousand hours of patient care experience in a variety of settings.

I'm also a political science major. Because of that, I haven't had the opportunity to take any upper-level science courses in addition to my med school pre-reqs. The exception to that was this semester, but I ended up having to drop a 400-level zoology course that I greatly overestimated the time commitment for (thank you to anybody who commented on that the other day!). That was my first W.

I'm wondering if my lack of upper-level science courses is going to be a problem. I know not having them isn't ideal, but I want to know if it's a major red flag. If so, I'm not really sure what I'll do considering that I'm set to graduate this April. Money is a problem, and it won't be easy for me to take some science courses at another university after I graduate. I'd also really like to avoid that--I want to take the MCAT in May and apply in June. If I have a reasonable shot without taking additional science courses then I'll hedge my bets and apply with what's on my transcript. But if it's a major problem and I'd be wasting my time by applying, I need to think about some things.

Thanks for any advice. I've taken some advice from this forum but not given any--maybe if people have questions about patient care experience on the paid side and how to start out I could be of some basic help. Just ask.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I'm a non-traditional applicant. I'm in my mid-20's and was an Army medic before college. I currently work in an ED. I have a ~3.8 overall GPA and a ~3.6 science GPA. I have several thousand hours of patient care experience in a variety of settings.

I'm also a political science major. Because of that, I haven't had the opportunity to take any upper-level science courses in addition to my med school pre-reqs. The exception to that was this semester, but I ended up having to drop a 400-level zoology course that I greatly overestimated the time commitment for (thank you to anybody who commented on that the other day!). That was my first W.

I'm wondering if my lack of upper-level science courses is going to be a problem. I know not having them isn't ideal, but I want to know if it's a major red flag. If so, I'm not really sure what I'll do considering that I'm set to graduate this April. Money is a problem, and it won't be easy for me to take some science courses at another university after I graduate. I'd also really like to avoid that--I want to take the MCAT in May and apply in June. If I have a reasonable shot without taking additional science courses then I'll hedge my bets and apply with what's on my transcript. But if it's a major problem and I'd be wasting my time by applying, I need to think about some things.

Thanks for any advice. I've taken some advice from this forum but not given any--maybe if people have questions about patient care experience on the paid side and how to start out I could be of some basic help. Just ask.
It's not a major red flag, but upper level biology courses will help you on the MCAT (super important). For example:
-biochemistry
-physiology
-molecular and cell bio
-microbio

I'm sure that you can see how the concepts in these courses relate to the MCAT. The MCAT is all about applying what you know to various passages. CARS is of course a reasoning test, and the best thing you can do for that is read a lot to increase your reading speed. But I digress. The more upper level biology knowledge you have, the easier the MCAT will be. It's true that the courses I listed aren't always required (though some med schools req. biochem; check the MSAR), but they can only help you.

Good luck :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone,

I would also add that upper level science courses (molecular biology, cancer biology, microbiology, genetics equivalent, etc) will make certain parts of medical school significantly more enriching, interesting, and understandable.

Reactions: 1 user