SoCal Anesthesia Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unaccpted

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is it to go to UCLA/UCSF/UCSD if trying to work in PP in SoCal. I've heard that the best PP jobs (Newport Harbor, Mission, etc.) go to those grads while grads from USC, UCI are left fighting for the scraps. How true is this and would I be better off ranking prestigious East/Midwest programs (UW, Northwestern, Columbia, NYU, etc.) over the 2nd tier California programs if my goal is to get a good PP job in SoCal?

Members don't see this ad.

How important is it to go to UCLA/UCSF/UCSD if trying to work in PP in SoCal. I've heard that the best PP jobs (Newport Harbor, Mission, etc.) go to those grads while grads from USC, UCI are left fighting for the scraps. How true is this and would I be better off ranking prestigious East/Midwest programs (UW, Northwestern, Columbia, NYU, etc.) over the 2nd tier California programs if my goal is to get a good PP job in SoCal?

What is UW?

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Local market dynamics are a bigger influence than what school you went to.

Generally speaking..there will be guys from all the local schools at the local groups..so it's probably better to stay local than go to an east coast program where the style and cultures are different than west coast groups.

Geographic preference and program culture/fit should be the priority.

And those groups aren't necessarily the best

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty sure you missed the boat on rank lists unless you're a current M3 lol

And if you are, why are you worrying about some theoretical ROL when you haven't even interviewed at, much less applied to, any of these programs?

You’d be fine coming from any of those programs. In some ways it helps to be local when trying to find a job due to local alumni networks and word of mouth information. But on the other hand I personally wouldn’t go to a program solely for this reason. Also how do you know post residency you’ll still want to be in socal, one of the worst paying and highest cost of living locations there is?

When it comes to it I think you should rank programs on gut feel and whether you can picture yourself being happy there. Post residency things will work out fine.

PS - I’ve never heard of people coming out any university program “fighting for scraps”.

Reactions: 1 users
PP jobs are mostly based on who you know and your personality (whether they think you will fit in with the group’s personality and culture). So in this case, going local regardless of the program can help because of the alumni network that can vouch for you. My partner went to socal program but not the “top” programs that you mentioned and he got calls from the “best PP jobs” to join them. He turned them down because he’s already happy where he is.

Last edited:
PP jobs are mostly based on who you know and your personality (whether they think you will fit in with the group’s personality and culture). So in this case, going local regardless of the program can help because of the alumni network that can vouch for you. My partner went to socal program but not the “top” programs that you mentioned and he got calls from the “best PP jobs” to join them. He turned them down because he’s already happy where he is.
The top groups in SoCal are headhunting your partner? I highly doubt that. Sounds like talking a big game.

Is cedar-sinai considered 2nd tier?

Cedars is now the #6 hospital in the country… the anesthesia department isn’t a research powerhouse (yet) but it’s very good and going in a positive direction.

According to who? Based on what? And who cares?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Cedars is now the #6 hospital in the country… the anesthesia department isn’t a research powerhouse (yet) but it’s very good and going in a positive direction.

They’ve had a lot of high profile mishaps, maybe because they have a lot of high profile patients.

How high a hospital is ranked has almost nothing to do with individual departments. I wouldn't put Cedars Sinai in the top 50 anesthesia residencies in the country (from a reputation standpoint). If you're looking at California alone its probably 2nd or 3rd to last among reputable programs.

How high a hospital is ranked has almost nothing to do with individual departments. I wouldn't put Cedars Sinai in the top 50 anesthesia residencies in the country (from a reputation standpoint). If you're looking at California alone its probably 2nd or 3rd to last among reputable programs.

Part of what makes a program good is a high volume of complex cases. Cedars has a high volume of liver, cardiac, lung transplant and a high volume of aortic surgery. Having a bunch of sick cardiac and liver transplant patients means you get to take care of these patients for their other procedures too…eg VADS, ECMO, etc. As a resident you can learn a lot from each liver transplant and each lung transplant. You can learn from hip replacements and colectomies too but it’s lower yield. I wouldn’t place them that low.

Last edited:
Part of what makes a program good is a high volume of complex cases. Cedars has a high volume of liver, cardiac, lung transplant and a high volume of aortic surgery. Having a bunch of sick cardiac and liver transplant patients means you get to take care of these patients for their other procedures too…eg VADS, ECMO, etc. As a resident you can learn a lot from each liver transplant and each lung transplant. You can learn from hip replacements and colectomies too but it’s lower yield. I wouldn’t place them that low.
Except their surgeons don't want anyone except the cardiac fellows in those. Most cases don't involve residents. Things may have changed in the past 3 years but doubt it.

It is a private practice in which the anesthesia dept is trying to make more profitable by integrating free labor into.

Except their surgeons don't want anyone except the cardiac fellows in those. Most cases don't involve residents. Things may have changed in the past 3 years but doubt it.

It is a private practice in which the anesthesia dept is trying to make more profitable by integrating free labor into.

I don’t have first hand knowledge but if the residents don’t have access to the best cases, that would be a shame.

I was also under the impression their residents were 1:1 with an attending so I can’t see how that can be considered free labor.

I don’t have first hand knowledge but if the residents don’t have access to the best cases, that would be a shame.

I was also under the impression their residents were 1:1 with an attending so I can’t see how that can be considered free labor.

They just leave the resident in the room while they chill in the lounge. Very common for senior faculty to just let a senior resident do the case and don't teach anything.

They just leave the resident in the room while they chill in the lounge. Very common for senior faculty to just let a senior resident do the case and don't teach anything.

But 1:1 with a resident doesn’t save labor costs in any way. They may get some extra Medicare funding since each resident comes with Medicare money but they need just as many staff anesthesiologists.

But 1:1 with a resident doesn’t save labor costs in any way. They may get some extra Medicare funding since each resident comes with Medicare money but they need just as many staff anesthesiologists.

Lets those guys do admin or research while still being "clinical"

1:1 was SOOO 4 years ago bro. It's only 1:1 for the first month now