SOAP advise needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ldanero

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Anyone in here that has been through the SOAP? Need advice regarding participating in SOAP. If I applied to a different specialty but now I know that I am flexible between the other specialty and Internal Medicine, do I have to get my LOR writers to edit their LOR to Internal medicine? That's if I end up in the SOAP process, which I hope not. Just trying to plan ahead.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Anyone in here that has been through the SOAP? Need advice regarding participating in SOAP. If I applied to a different specialty but now I know that I am flexible between the other specialty and Internal Medicine, do I have to get my LOR writers to edit their LOR to Internal medicine? That's if I end up in the SOAP process, which I hope not. Just trying to plan ahead.

Thanks

You would use the same lor.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s soap, everyone is suddenly more flexible. People get it

Reactions: 1 users
Hello!
I am PGY-2 Resident trying to switch specialty. Got myself on ERAS - but after 2/26 deadline to rank the programs. So as f now I have no programs selected. Questions:

* Can I still participate in SOAP? When I see an open slot on 16th, can I "select" that to apply?
* Can programs not selected by me access my information? TIA

Yes, I have.

I also want to know that if I get PGY-2 offerings, would I be able to take those even if I am registered in the NRMP? Is it considered a violation?

Post #1892 in this thread has great step-by-step, hour-by-hour guidelines and encouragement on how to handle SOAP. It has good stuff. Best of luck to you.

Yes, I have.

I also want to know that if I get PGY-2 offerings, would I be able to take those even if I am registered in the NRMP? Is it considered a violation?

I believe you need to apply, first, to a single program. Could be any program, any field. That will trigger the minimum payment, get your USMLE scores from the NBME, etc. Then, you should be all set. Once SOAP opens, you'll be able to apply to SOAP programs. You get a fixed number of apps. Programs may then contact/interview you. And then they might offer you a spot. If there are PGY-2 spots in SOAP, then they have to fill via SOAP. If you somehow get a PGY-2 spot outside of SOAP, you just withdraw from SOAP.

I don't know if you can actually do the "applying" and pay the fees in SOAP.

For the unmatched PGY1 candidates, It is a violation to apply to non-SOAP participating programs if you are participating in the SOAP. You have to wait until Thursday 11am ET, when SOAP ends to apply to Non-soap programs. There is a webinar out there, they covered this. I do not know if the same applies to PGY2 spots.

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anybody has advice in terms of the 45 applications we can send... is there like a trend of sending them all since the start? Or is it better to send a majority in the first round but save some for the next rounds?... I know nobody really knows for sure what's best, but I'm an IMG and not entirely sure how to go about it in case it comes to this.

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anybody has advice in terms of the 45 applications we can send... is there like a trend of sending them all since the start? Or is it better to send a majority in the first round but save some for the next rounds?... I know nobody really knows for sure what's best, but I'm an IMG and not entirely sure how to go about it in case it comes to this.
Don't "save" them. It's a gross misunderstanding of how the soap works. Apply where you want, and send all 45 before they get released to programs. All your apps are considered for all rounds of offers.

Agree with @Roxas. No point to save. There's only a couple hours between first round and second round. No way I have time to read through however many more apps. Most programs are going to have their list of applicants they will make offers to similar to rank list. And if they don't get their top choices first round, then they'll just move down their list, rather than try to scramble to look through more apps.