SOAP 2016 Thread - questions, advice, support

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We did interview Canadians this year. Limit on SON was set above 2015 levels, so although it does create some uncertainty, it's not a deal-breaker for us.

Glad to hear this.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't understand your question. If you Matched into advanced and have SOAPed into a PGY1 prelim, you're done--and congratulations. NRMP is giving its blessing that if programs are able to create a new residency slot to accommodate applicants who only matched either prelim without advanced or advanced without a prelim, they should do so.
sorry, i meant no pgy1 so far

I assume you meant "no PGY1 so far".

Once SOAP is over, it can be possible for a program to "create" a spot for you. Realistically, this will be either your home institution or the place you've matched for advanced. Sometimes a program can find a way to have an extra PGY-1, so that you don't lose your PGY-2. This isn't easy, so it's not something you should count on.
thank you, i dont really want to count on the "create" thing. still work hard to get a position through SOAP, but seems nothing i can do during SOAP. any advises after SOAP?

Is it likely we'll get interview calls tonight? Or even tomorrow morning before next round of offers?
I'd just like to go to bed now with a drink.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it likely we'll get interview calls tonight? Or even tomorrow morning before next round of offers?
I'd just like to go to bed now with a drink.

Don't drink yet. Scramble is tomorrow, and you need to be as ERAS ready as you were on Monday.

Can you please explain what the scramble is?

Scramble is when you, or if you're not alone, any attending who is willing, apply to every program left after SOAP on ERAS or otherwise and call the PDs (or most likely program administrators) begging for a spot. Everyone is doing this at the same time and programs are rushing to snap up the few remaining qualified applicants, hence the name.

Scramble is when you, or if you're not alone, any attending who is willing, apply to every program left after SOAP on ERAS or otherwise and call the PDs (or most likely program administrators) begging for a spot. Everyone is doing this at the same time and programs are rushing to snap up the few remaining qualified applicants, hence the name.
Do we have to reapply for the scramble to programs already applied to?

Congrats on the call! Just a few questions for the sake of reassuring myself though: 1. Are you an FMG, US-IMG, DO, or AMG? 2. What are your stats on boards if you don't mind sharing?
Again thanks and congrats on the call. Good Luck!
Thank you! I'm a US-IMG, Step 1 220s, CK 230s, no failures on Step1/CK/CS. It's all incredibly competitive at this point, but I feel like I've done my best and I'm at peace with whatever tomorrow brings. Good luck to you as well!

Reactions: 1 users
Another FM and IM position available for any DOs who don't have luck in SOAP...good luck!!

We have 5 residency spots available in our Osteopathic Internal Medicine program and 5 residency spots available in our Osteopathic Family Medicine program. We are located in Searcy, Arkansas, 45 miles north of Little Rock.

We ask that you share the attached flyers with your unmatched students (or forward this e-mail to the person who helps them find residency spots).

The documents we require for application are listed below.

Students can send them through ERAS (easiest option), or e-mail them directly to me.

Application Cover Letter (attached)

Personal Statement

Recent Photograph

Curriculum Vitae

COMLEX Transcripts

Medical Student Performance Evaluation (directly from school or ERAS)

Medical School Transcript (directly from school or ERAS)

We request the student notifies us if he/she applies directly through ERAS.

Thanks!

RachaelSowers

GME Coordinator

Unity Health | White County Medical Center

3214 E Race St. | Searcy, AR 72143

P (501) 380-2299 | F (501) 380-2282

www.Unity-Health.org

Do we have to reapply for the scramble to programs already applied to?

I don't remember, but you do have to pay again for programs you haven't applied to yet. And you'll be calling them as well, though they'll probably just have a voicemail or program coordinator saying, "Just make sure we have your application and we'll contact you."

This may be a different story if your attending calls or emails the PD or someone who knows the PD saying, "hey, I've got a fantastic student here!"

Thank you! I'm a US-IMG, Step 1 220s, CK 230s, no failures on Step1/CK/CS. It's all incredibly competitive at this point, but I feel like I've done my best and I'm at peace with whatever tomorrow brings. Good luck to you as well!
i guess we went through the stages of grieving, now it is acceptance. i feel more at peace than i wan this morning, good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Although SOAP is unpleasant to go through, at least the NRMP systems worked this year. Sounds like most offers were out right on time, unlike the mess that was last year.

The canadian gov't limited the number of LON's for J Visas. Given the uncertainty, we declined to interview any canadians requiring a J visa this year. Other programs might have done the same.

Ugh, that's rough.

I believe you can back out of anything, as you're not an indentured servant, but then you would be in violation of the Match and ineligible to apply again for some number of years. I don't remember the exact number, but I'm sure you can look it up in NRMP.

Anyway, that wasn't why I posted. I'm actually posting to beg you to reconsider what you're doing. Maybe this is cold, but unless your mother-in-law is not expected to recover, the current crisis -- no matter how large it seems to loom -- will pass. Don't forget that training doesn't start until June/July. Between now and then a lot can happen, and while your significant other (and you) might be completely panicked today, things might seem a hell lot smoother in a week, a month, 3 months. But if you gave this up now, I think there's a huge chance you'll regret it and possibly even resent your family for it, especially as you would be shut out of the match for several years, which is effectively "forever" unless you really want to do a second residency.

Since you can't "cancel" your match now without being in violation anyway, I think you might as well hold off and see how things go over the next couple weeks or months. It's sort of a dick move, but you can always drop out of the new residency closer to the start date.

I think a lot turns on how bad a heart attack we are talking. There are plenty of people walking around out there who had a heart attack years ago. Three months from now she may be back to baseline.

Another FM and IM position available for any DOs who don't have luck in SOAP...good luck!!

We have 5 residency spots available in our Osteopathic Internal Medicine program and 5 residency spots available in our Osteopathic Family Medicine program. We are located in Searcy, Arkansas, 45 miles north of Little Rock.

We ask that you share the attached flyers with your unmatched students (or forward this e-mail to the person who helps them find residency spots).

Students can send them through ERAS (easiest option), or e-mail them directly to me.

Personal Statement

Recent Photograph

Curriculum Vitae

COMLEX Transcripts

Thanks!

RachaelSowers

GME Coordinator

www.Unity-Health.org

Can IMG apply to this even if we technically have Md?

Its 11.59 and am up thinking how far i have come along and still waiting for a break. It was a good experience and i would not trade it for anything else. #Non-American IMG.
Tomorrow is another day. I feel better knowing some people from this thread matched . Rejoicing in other people success has a way of attracting success to you.

Sorry new member, I've lurked from time to time, but please let me know if I've done anything wrong with my post.

It's been a rough week and hoping to just get some insight and direction from some of the senior members. I am a US grad Class of 2015, currently in a prelim surgery position. Unfortunately was not successful in the main match for surgery and am now going through the SOAP. There were only 2 categorical surgery spots so I gave them a shot as well tried for anesthesia. Unfortunately didn't get any offers Round 1 & 2, but didn't use all 45 SOAP apps at the time.

Honestly, in between a state of numb and panicked, but I am open to any specialty and have since filled out apps for open prelim surgery as well as internal or family. I know it's pretty much a waiting game and to see how I'll come out on the other side tomorrow. But does anyone have any words of encouragement or suggestions/recommendations as to how to get through this hopefully successfully?

jesus christ, theres like nothing left in the SOAP

That's what I don't get. WTF will there be for us tomorrow after 3 rounds if we weren't called? I just looked at that list, again - it really is pathetic.

I'm an AMG who had to delay residency for a spouse, so I have the dreaded previous grad status. If there are enough people left without jobs, what the hell happens? Class action? Should we start our own residency program in rural Missouri?

Sorry new member, I've lurked from time to time, but please let me know if I've done anything wrong with my post.

It's been a rough week and hoping to just get some insight and direction from some of the senior members. I am a US grad Class of 2015, currently in a prelim surgery position. Unfortunately was not successful in the main match for surgery and am now going through the SOAP. There were only 2 categorical surgery spots so I gave them a shot as well tried for anesthesia. Unfortunately didn't get any offers Round 1 & 2, but didn't use all 45 SOAP apps at the time.

Honestly, in between a state of numb and panicked, but I am open to any specialty and have since filled out apps for open prelim surgery as well as internal or family. I know it's pretty much a waiting game and to see how I'll come out on the other side tomorrow. But does anyone have any words of encouragement or suggestions/recommendations as to how to get through this hopefully successfully?

Bro, In every position you are in life whether its residency or every other aspect of life, there is someone out there who would do anything imaginable to be in your shoes. I know its hard to make sense of it now, i am in the same boat. It will work out, keep ya head up. Tomorrow is another day and all you need is ONE phone call. Just ONE

I feel you. I think a lot of us right now feel the same way. Put in a state of complete despair finding out we initially didn't match; then pulling yourself up to apply to more spots, maybe get some phone interviews, get hopeful again, then get knocked right back on your ass when "you have no offers this round". But it's not over, you pick yourself up again only to get pounded back down the next round.

This whole process has been incredibly frustrating. But there are still some spots available. We just have to come to the reality that we may end up in the middle of nowhere but I'm confident most of us will grab up a spot somewhere. And whatever, just a few more years to power through, finish residency, and come out. I think in a few years when this whole thing is well behind us, we'll look back and see it as an incredible low point that we were able to overcome. And we'll be better prepared for the remainder of life to deal with and learn to overcome challenging situations we face.

Everything happens for a reason. We may not know the 'why' now, but eventually we'll see it.

Last edited:
I just wanted to chime in and say that everything will work out in the end. This whole residency matching process is so crapshoot and reminiscent of applying to medical school all over again that sometimes it's based on luck, connections, and patience. I've been in your shoes and had to SOAP with no success. So hang in there and good luck all!

You have a good chance of matching somewhere. There are tons of PGY2 surgery/anesthesia that opened up outside of match this year, register on residentswap.

Can IMG apply to this even if we technically have Md?
I'm sorry only DOs can apply for this positions. But many are becoming. Dual accredited because of the merger and will be available next year!!!!! Good luck!!

Yes, you should write something in your personal statement, but be realistic. I've seen applications where the PS says "I've always wanted to do XXX", but then there are 3 LOR's for some other field. That's dumb. You ain't foolin' anyone. One of the most memorable was only about 4 sentences long. "I didn't match in XXX. It sucks, but I'm over it. I want YYY instead. I'll give it my 100%". So: It's OK to talk about not matching -- any program reviewing your app didn't fill, so they know the feeling.

The technical issues today were annoying and frustrating. Ultimately, they will make no difference -- there is plenty of time to apply, review applications, interview and SOAP.

Once you've been contacted by a program, I agree that having others reach out (or at least having contact information to give to the program) is a great idea.

Thank you so much for the dedication to this forum. Your advice has been extremely valuable.
I am an old IMG and entered for the match for the first time. I did not match. So I have been trying for SOAP which seems highly improbable for me, but I am not giving up.

I saw this thread and it has helped me greatly because I changed my PS as I applied to other specialties and I thought to myself that the only thing I can change is my PS. My thinking was along the very same lines that the programs will wonder why all my LORs are directed toward IM but I have applied to other areas. I even compared the process to a lottery. But used it to bring out strong points about my character and that I am able to excel in any field. We are all medical doctors with a high intellectual ability. We are all trainable for any field.

But I started doubting and wondering if I committed SOAP suicide with such a strong and honest letter. Your post has given me some hope and I hope another PD will look at my PS and say, I want this person on our team".

Thank you again.

I appreciate the feedback. This is not her first MI, and she's currently in the ICU. There are other issues at hand involving her care that I won't go into.

I'd prefer if answers could address the real question though: Can I withdraw and stay at my current program? I see that the penalties of match violation do not address that issue. I am a PGY-1, if I stayed I'd probably just finish up at my current program and follow this career path (I'm not miserable at my program). In that regard, I wouldn't need the NRMP again. The website states as penalties the following:
  • One year bar from accepting or starting a position in any program sponsored by a Match-participating institution
  • One to three year or permanent bar from participation in future NRMP Matches
  • One to three year or permanent identification in the R3 system as a Match violator
I also don't want to screw the program I just accepted to go to. I want them to get back to searching for candidates as soon as possible.

If we decide to stay, I'll probably contact NRMP directly and ask for an expedited waiver of commitment (if that exists)

Are you sure your current spot is still available, and that your program hasn't already filled/promised it to someone transferring? I'd also check with your PD, he or she might be so worried that you staying would be some sort of violation that they won't want you to break your agreement. Even if it's not a true violation for your home program, they may still be worried it'd look bad on them (that's how my PD would feel).

I
MATCHED
IN ROUND 3

Edit: haha, I was so excited I submitted before I was done typing! I just wanted to say GOOD LUCK to everyone, miracles do happen!!

Reactions: 23 users
AMG or IMG? and what speciality if you don't mind?

I
MATCHED
IN ROUND 3

Edit: haha, I was so excited I submitted before I was done typing! I just wanted to say GOOD LUCK to everyone, miracles do happen!!

I
MATCHED
IN ROUND 3

Congratulations!!
If you could share.. Which specialties did you apply for during the SOAP and which you secured a position in? Thanks!

Haha, no celebrating just yet, I have to call/text everyone I know. US-IMG, applied in peds and psych in the main Match, SOAPed into family medicine. Family was actually the specialty I wanted to go into when I first started medical school, so everything has come full circle. :cat:

Reactions: 5 users
I
MATCHED
IN ROUND 3

Hey Congrats!
Was it at the same place that you received a call from last night?
Again, congrats and good luck moving forward.

Haha, no celebrating just yet, I have to call/text everyone I know. US-IMG, applied in peds and psych in the main Match, SOAPed into family medicine. Family was actually the specialty I wanted to go into when I first started medical school, so everything has come full circle. :cat:

Congratulations!! and thank you for replying.

Personal Statement

Recent Photograph

Curriculum Vitae

COMLEX Transcripts

Thanks!

RachaelSowers

GME Coordinator

www.Unity-Health.org

Thanks for posting these! They're really helpful and I wish my school sent us these. Do you by any chance have the application cover letter that was attached to this email? Thanks again :)

Hey Congrats!
Was it at the same place that you received a call from last night?
Again, congrats and good luck moving forward.
Thanks! It was indeed.

I appreciate the feedback. This is not her first MI, and she's currently in the ICU. There are other issues at hand involving her care that I won't go into.

I'd prefer if answers could address the real question though: Can I withdraw and stay at my current program? I see that the penalties of match violation do not address that issue. I am a PGY-1, if I stayed I'd probably just finish up at my current program and follow this career path (I'm not miserable at my program). In that regard, I wouldn't need the NRMP again. The website states as penalties the following:
  • One year bar from accepting or starting a position in any program sponsored by a Match-participating institution
  • One to three year or permanent identification in the R3 system as a Match violator
I also don't want to screw the program I just accepted to go to. I want them to get back to searching for candidates as soon as possible.

If we decide to stay, I'll probably contact NRMP directly and ask for an expedited waiver of commitment (if that exists)

Go to the program you matched. I'm sorry about your mother-n-law...but you are making a very poor long-term decision for you and your wife, for a very short term problem.

Reactions: 4 users
An extreme scenario just occured for me, and I need clarification if anyone can help

I am a current resident switching specialties. I was offered through the SOAP today and accepted this morning. This afternoon I found out my mother in law (lives 1hr from where I'm training now) was hospitalized with heart attack. My wife is beside herself, and the position I accepted takes me halfway across the country. As much as it hurts, I fear I must give up my SOAP spot and stay at my current program. Is there any way I can void my match agreement and stay at my program? My PD would love for me to stay, that part is not the issue. Rather canceling my agreement.

I am not an AMG nor a US IMG, just an old IMG, so I am not fully aware of the rules, but based on this discussion, I do not think you should break the agreement and violate any NRMP rules. Just have a bit of patience, you have secured a position and you don't know what can happen in the next three months before you start. If at that time your mother in law's health has deteriorated further and you need to be there for your family, at that time (close to when you would take up position in July), I am sure the PD would understand your decision when it came to a life/death matter. This is how I see it personally.

Last edited:

Tread very carefully. A SOAP offer is as binding as a spot in the Main match. You will not get a waiver based on the fact that your MIL's condition was pre existing. (Her prior MI's). NRMP will argue that this was known when you accepted the offer. If you are in violation I wonder if your current PD or any other program will be able to take you. I agree with J4Pac. Take the offer.

Does anybody know if this (publicly available) list of DO positions is updated regularly?

http://cf.osteopathic.org/aoapostmatch/students/index.cfm
More or less. Some are some aren't. The best bet is to filter it by post date and apply to anything that you like that is recent. Start with 3 days ago, 7 days ago and so on but try no to apply to programs that were posted before DO match day ( which I think was Feb 14)

More or less. Some are some aren't. The best bet is to filter it by post date and apply to anything that you like that is recent. Start with 3 days ago, 7 days ago and so on but try no to apply to programs that were posted before DO match day ( which I think was Feb 14)
DO Match day was February 8th!

Thanks for posting these! They're really helpful and I wish my school sent us these. Do you by any chance have the application cover letter that was attached to this email? Thanks again :)
Good luck!!

Attachments

• Unity Health - Resident Application.docx
    16 KB · Views: 132
Question. I SOAP'd into a transitional year (praise the Lord!) in the second round, so now for next year's match am I PGY2? What if I want to go into a specialty that doesn't require a prelim year (pediatrics)? Stats: AMG, failed step 1 on first attempt. Passed everything after that, but all scores below average.

Successful 3rd round soap into a categorical anesthesiology program!

Reactions: 12 users