SOAP 2016 PM&R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

PM&Raspirant

I guess there are some spots for residency in SOAP. Guys this is the place to share your SOAP experiences and concerns for 2016 PM&R residency position in particular.
Please share.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess there are some spots for PM&R residency in SOAP. Guys this is the place to share your SOAP experiences and concern for 2016.
Please share.

Keep in mind that you could get in trouble for giving out the names of the unfilled programs until that becomes public info. So be careful.

Last year I believe that 3-4 programs didn't fill. They were all pretty good programs so It was likely due to not ranking entry applicants, and not lack of interest.

PDs don't have the time to read all the applications, so they use a filter feature to narrow down the list. They can filter for degree type, board scores, and a variety of other factors. This is why it is incredibly difficult to SOAP as an IMG.

I guess there are some spots for residency in SOAP. Guys this is the place to share your SOAP experiences and concerns for 2016 PM&R residency position in particular.
Please share.

how many total programs for pmr went unfilled?

good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
how many total programs for pmr went unfilled?

good luck!
I think it is match violation to tell that info until NRMP releases it publicly.
But last year there were 3 programs with one each position for SOAP (PM&R residency). Only 2 got filled during SOAP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay cool thanks.

Out of curiosity, when do programs find out who they matched (non-soap).

matched in an advanced program in main match, but ho pgy1. Can anyone give some advises what should i do? any other ways to secure a pgy1 after the match? Thanks a lot.

matched in an advanced program in main match, but ho pgy1. Can anyone give some advises what should i do? any other ways to secure a pgy1 after the match? Thanks a lot.

Since the match/SOAP are now over, curious which programs did not fill all their spots and were up for SOAP?

Matched to a TY spot this year but not PM&R... does anyone have advice as to going about keeping a finger on the pulse of possible advanced positions opening up? Thanks!

Matched to a TY spot this year but not PM&R... does anyone have advice as to going about keeping a finger on the pulse of possible advanced positions opening up? Thanks!

Probably need more specifics as to your situation to provide advice

Probably need more specifics as to your situation to provide advice

4th year DO student that didn't match to PMR, but did match into a TY year. Looking for any advanced positions to start in 2017 as PGY-2 and not sure the best place to find opportunities that come up

4th year DO student that didn't match to PMR, but did match into a TY year. Looking for any advanced positions to start in 2017 as PGY-2 and not sure the best place to find opportunities that come up

How many programs did you apply to and rank?

Find out if any of the AOA PM&R programs didn't fill. That would be the easy way.

You can try to apply to physician spots next year in ACGME...but they will be competitive. You could also apply advanced and categorical, but you would have to either repeat an internship or have a gap year. Not to mention that you have already failed to match ACGME PM&R once. You would have to do something substantial to be more competitive next time around.

I think having a plan B in the AOA match is a no brainer next year.

How many programs did you apply to and rank?

Find out if any of the AOA PM&R programs didn't fill. That would be the easy way.

You can try to apply to physician spots next year in ACGME...but they will be competitive. You could also apply advanced and categorical, but you would have to either repeat an internship or have a gap year. Not to mention that you have already failed to match ACGME PM&R once. You would have to do something substantial to be more competitive next time around.

I think having a plan B in the AOA match is a no brainer next year.
I applied to 70 programs, ranked/interviewed at 5.
None of the AOA PM&R programs have openings.
How common is it for programs to fill spots outside of the match? Should I contact program directors that I interviewed with to see how I can improve? Should I try and get another PM&R LOR at this year?

I applied to 70 programs, ranked/interviewed at 5.
None of the AOA PM&R programs have openings.
How common is it for programs to fill spots outside of the match? Should I contact program directors that I interviewed with to see how I can improve? Should I try and get another PM&R LOR at this year?

Typically spots do open up every year as there is typically someone who's switching for whatever reason. However, it'd be important to understand why you did not match. PMR is more competitive now than before for sure, but still attainable. However there are a large # of applicants so it's important to stand out.

I think you should take a look at your app and any possible deficits/negatives - any failures? rotations? at least 1 letter? etc. If your TY hospital has a PMR program it would not be a bad idea to talk to them and see if you can rotate there. Apply early next year, try to make connections. I would also apply to a back up just in case.