So... someone else is applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kcernak

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying for a MPH in International Health for the Fall 2006. I'm coming out of my undergrad, so I don't have any ground breaking experience in public health, though I have volunteered in hospitals, worked in a few labs (two of which were cancer research). I think the strongest aspect of my application is my relief work in New Orleans, though it was/is through Habitat for Humanity and so doesn't have much to do with Public Health. My GPA and GRE are pretty strong, but I'm afraid that my lack of experience will hold me back. I'm trying to craft my personal statement so that it strongly reflects my desire to work in public health, though I feel like it is lacking because I can't totally say, "i've been there, I've done that, and i can't imagine doing anything else." Is anyone else having this problem and what are your suggestions for convincing the admissions committee that you're ready to go? I think I wrote a pretty convincing piece about being dedicated to PH but it doesn't necessarily convey specific career goals, so i was thinking about using that for my cover letter instead.

Man, the future sure can be stressful :)

Members don't see this ad.

I was in a similar situation when I applied to epidemiology programs, though I'd been out of college for a couple of years (working part time in not-particularly-health-realted jobs). If your academic qualifications are good, and you write a convincing personal statement, I think you will probably have a good shot. Volunteering in hospitals and doing lab work will count in your favor, and doing Katrina relief work, even housing-related, is not so distant from public health. The one thing about international health programs is that they sometimes prefer people with some international experience. If you don't have any, just make sure somewhere in your statement you explain why you are interested in international work in particular.

I don't know that I'd toss the PH-focused letter, since you really want your dedication to come through in your personal statement, and schools sometimes don't like extra materials to be sent -- can you write some nice transition and then add a couple of paragraphs to it about possible (you won't be held to them) research interests and career goals? Do you envision working for a small NGO, a large government or international agency, or an academic institution? What role do you see yourself playing in such a setting? Are there particular subfields of international health that interest you (environmental health in developing countries, natural disasters, eye diseases, AIDS or malaria, nutrition, etc.)?

Good luck with everything!

I really don't see you being held back because of your "lack of experience". you have done work, but are not sure how it fits in. speak to people in the field, and those studying Intl Hlth at present to get a better idea of what it is all about. you will find a connection that you can highlight in your app. though it is nice to have experience, your having worked in the field is a testament to your willingness to roll your sleeves up and put your efforts where your mouth is. do not short sell yourself.

that being said, a Personal Statement(PS) in 2/3 truth, and 1/3 BS. the fact is that a simple "i feel it" is not enough, not by a long shot. you feel the pressure to write about that defining moment when lightning struck, sewers overflowed, and PH beckoned..bah! be truthful, but embellish where necessary..and don't feel shy about it. this is not a marriage. it is entering a school to learn a subject you really want to do, a means to an end and nothing more. but do try to connect your past and present to your desire to get into this field and XYZ school. also, try describing where you would like to work, doing what say 5-10 years later. if you are unsure, speak to the people in the field to get a clearer picture.

for eg- "your working in the Katrina relief made you realise if this is the state of affairs in the US, the world's most developed nation, how would it be in the third world?"..or something similar. Intl Hlth is not my field, but it doesn't have to be. this is basic PS BS. not everyone has to "see life" to realise what they want to do.

Good Luck! :luck: