So residency is half over - how has it been?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spacecowgirl

in the bee-loud glade
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm the only resident in my program so I'd love to compare notes. How are your projects going? Overworked? Underworked? Happy medium? What do you like? What don't you like? (P.S. all those applying - those are some good questions to ask current residents)

Members don't see this ad.

so how do you like being the only resident in your program? what advantages and disadvantages you've found.

Members don't see this ad :)
so how do you like being the only resident in your program? what advantages and disadvantages you've found.

I'm trying to think of advantages and I can't really :laugh: I wouldn't let that steer you away from choosing a residency, but if everything else was equal, I don't know that I'd want to be the only one. I guess I don't have to look stupid compared to another resident, that's an advantage. Which is good because I am already humbled on a daily basis. A lot of the people I work with are my age so they feel a little less like preceptors, but not quite co-workers and I learn a lot from them. Overall, I consider myself an independent worker, but it would be nice to have someone to bounce ideas off of and to commiserate at times.

I'm still really glad I chose my residency, can't imagine getting the breadth of experience I am getting anywhere else.

Soooooo back to the subject at hand...

So far residency is 100000x more work than school ever was. I feel like I could work 24 hours/day and still be behind. My residency is structured a little differently in that I have several concurrent rotations rather than a month of one thing, a month of another. Thus I have many concurrent project. Anyone else feel like they have 8 bosses? So far it's been a constantly humbling experience.

Soooooo back to the subject at hand...

So far residency is 100000x more work than school ever was. I feel like I could work 24 hours/day and still be behind. My residency is structured a little differently in that I have several concurrent rotations rather than a month of one thing, a month of another. Thus I have many concurrent project. Anyone else feel like they have 8 bosses? So far it's been a constantly humbling experience.

Would you mind elaborating on what a typical day is like? How long do you have to complete your projects? Would you give an example of one of your projects? Thanks!

In all honesty, I greatly regret doing my residency. At about the half way point, I'm pretty much ready to call it quits.

Does anyone know of anyone who has quit a residency before?

Members don't see this ad :)
In all honesty, I greatly regret doing my residency. At about the half way point, I'm pretty much ready to call it quits. This residency feels to me like sadism disguised as "learning." My preceptors are not encouraging, and are very discouraging. If I'm going to be treated like crap, I might as well go into retail and get paid 3 times as much to be treated like crap.

I don't know anybody, but I have heard of one girl somewhere down in Texas who quit her residency after several months, after being completely miserable out there from one of my friends. On one hand, that completely closes off the world of hospital pharmacy to you - everyone knows everyone, and rumors travel (one of the reasons I never considered working in a hospital was all the internal politics, cliques, cattiness and backstabbing at my school's teaching hospital). On the other hand, if you are absolutely miserable AND not learning anything, there is no reason to waste another six months of you life you are never getting back. Is there someone you could talk to and see if your residency could be restructured, such as a residency director, or director of pharmacy, etc? Don't emphasize "being treated like crap", but rather "I am not learning anything". If it is accredited, you could probably someone at ASHP you could contact and ask for advice on what would be the best course of action.

In all honesty, I greatly regret doing my residency. At about the half way point, I'm pretty much ready to call it quits. This residency feels to me like sadism disguised as "learning." My preceptors are not encouraging, and are very discouraging. If I'm going to be treated like crap, I might as well go into retail and get paid 3 times as much to be treated like crap.

I do know people who have quit. But you're almost there!

it's tough work but you're halfway done. Look at the "alternative" things to learn - you now know what not to do to be a good preceptor.

best of luck but you've made it this far, you can stick it through the last bit.

I know a pharmacist that quit.

What type of practice setting are you in? I'm sorry to hear that. Trust me though, things on the retail side aren't any better.

So what are the reasons for most people to quit a residency? Do they realize that they do not want to be in that field of pharmacy anymore and rather do something else? Or is residency unbearably difficult and discouraging?

I don't know anybody, but I have heard of one girl somewhere down in Texas who quit her residency after several months, after being completely miserable out there from one of my friends. On one hand, that completely closes off the world of hospital pharmacy to you - everyone knows everyone, and rumors travel (one of the reasons I never considered working in a hospital was all the internal politics, cliques, cattiness and backstabbing at my school's teaching hospital). On the other hand, if you are absolutely miserable AND not learning anything, there is no reason to waste another six months of you life you are never getting back. Is there someone you could talk to and see if your residency could be restructured, such as a residency director, or director of pharmacy, etc? Don't emphasize "being treated like crap", but rather "I am not learning anything". If it is accredited, you could probably someone at ASHP you could contact and ask for advice on what would be the best course of action.

a preceptor I had for an early experience rotation quit her residency after i left. funny though, they hired her as a staff pharmacist at the hospital.

Wow - I'm sorry to hear about your crappy residency experiences. To give those P-4s some hope, my residency is actually (kind of) fun as far as work goes. There are 5 of us, and we have gotten along great so far. We have 10 rotations that are 4 weeks each, and a ton of different preceptors and rotations to choose from. So far I have enjoyed my rotations, with the exception of one - which is about how my rotations went as a P-4. But I feel like I've been pretty lucky as far as programs go. I have 6 rotations left, plus my regular staffing requirement. As far as feeling humble all the time, unfortnately I think we always feel that way. There is so much that is thrown in front of us, and once you feel like you are getting the hang of it, you get a totally new problem and you feel like you have no idea what you are doing again. I will admit that I question my decision to be a pharmacist numerous times each week. But hopefullly over the next few years I'll get the hang of it.

My work day consists of getting to the hospital between 7:30 and 8:30, depending on what service I'm with and what time rounds start. I look through the profiles and see what has changed overnight, including labs and cultures. After rounds we usually break for lunch, then we meet with our preceptor in the afternoon to discuss readings, patients, and any assignments we might be working on. If there is nothing else going on that afternoon, I'm usually free to go home and read, or work on my projects. Each rotation is a little different. But with the exception of staffing, my days usually run about 8-9 hours.

To give a little advice to those going through the match, look for programs with a lot of different rotations that you are interested in, ask the current residents if they are happy with the level of support they get from their director and preceptors, and if you are a structured person, don't apply to an "unstructured" residency program. I personally like to have a well-laid out plan for the year, and my program has really gone out of its way to do that.

Honestlly, after talking with residents from other programs at Midyear, don't just apply somewhere because you really think you need to do a residency no matter what program it is. You really need to do the research and find what is best for you. If you are limited geographically, don't feel like not doing a residency is going to ruin your career - it's not. This is an experience that does last a whole year (which can seem like forever if you don't like where you are), and requires a significant pay sacrifice. So do your research, and find a program you think you can be happy with!

Eh, I'm gonna edit this before I get into trouble.

My experience has been like this. I'm the only resident at a community hospital. Last week, after pulling a 14 hour shift, I was told by my preceptor that I'm not working enough and need to come in earlier and stay later. I work 60 hours a week, and I get told that this isn't enough (even though that was the time committment I was told I would have when I signed up). The other day, I got yelled at for not having a project done when the due date isn't for another 2 weeks! These are just a couple of examples, not to mention the numerous snide comments I've received from preceptors.

I always get my assignments done on time, I have all my readings completed before discussions, but this just doesn't seem to matter. Frankly, I'm tired of it.

Have you tried talking to your director? Maybe if he/she hears your frustrations things may change.

a preceptor I had for an early experience rotation quit her residency after i left. funny though, they hired her as a staff pharmacist at the hospital.

haha i'm doing that residency right now...

So far it's been good, but it is getting busier. Last few months weren't that bad, but now the projects piling up, rotations getting tougher, etc etc. I am also the only resident in our program. It's been somewhat of an advantage. No one else to compare me to :D. Besides, everyone makes sure I am doing OK, so they don't lose their ONLY resident :cool:. It has its own disadvantages too, but time flies so fast, I don't think you can have enough time to socialize now. I need 36 hours nowadays to finish my work...Just running behind now :eek:...Almost 6 more months...counting :rolleyes:

Can you all elaborate if not already about what kind of setting your residency is in? Also, any good pointers to add for people looking into residencies?

Bumping for new replies.

I know the current set of residents aren't technically halfway finished, but you've at least had a lot of time at your programs so far. How're you liking/disliking things? Is it what you thought it would be?

Wow - I'm sorry to hear about your crappy residency experiences. To give those P-4s some hope, my residency is actually (kind of) fun as far as work goes. There are 5 of us, and we have gotten along great so far. We have 10 rotations that are 4 weeks each, and a ton of different preceptors and rotations to choose from. So far I have enjoyed my rotations, with the exception of one - which is about how my rotations went as a P-4. But I feel like I've been pretty lucky as far as programs go. I have 6 rotations left, plus my regular staffing requirement. As far as feeling humble all the time, unfortnately I think we always feel that way. There is so much that is thrown in front of us, and once you feel like you are getting the hang of it, you get a totally new problem and you feel like you have no idea what you are doing again. I will admit that I question my decision to be a pharmacist numerous times each week. But hopefullly over the next few years I'll get the hang of it.

My work day consists of getting to the hospital between 7:30 and 8:30, depending on what service I'm with and what time rounds start. I look through the profiles and see what has changed overnight, including labs and cultures. After rounds we usually break for lunch, then we meet with our preceptor in the afternoon to discuss readings, patients, and any assignments we might be working on. If there is nothing else going on that afternoon, I'm usually free to go home and read, or work on my projects. Each rotation is a little different. But with the exception of staffing, my days usually run about 8-9 hours.

To give a little advice to those going through the match, look for programs with a lot of different rotations that you are interested in, ask the current residents if they are happy with the level of support they get from their director and preceptors, and if you are a structured person, don't apply to an "unstructured" residency program. I personally like to have a well-laid out plan for the year, and my program has really gone out of its way to do that.

Honestlly, after talking with residents from other programs at Midyear, don't just apply somewhere because you really think you need to do a residency no matter what program it is. You really need to do the research and find what is best for you. If you are limited geographically, don't feel like not doing a residency is going to ruin your career - it's not. This is an experience that does last a whole year (which can seem like forever if you don't like where you are), and requires a significant pay sacrifice. So do your research, and find a program you think you can be happy with!

What program are you in? Are you thinking of a PGY2?

What kind of projects do you have? Can you elaborate on the presentations you need to give/prepare if you need to do that as well. Thanks!

Awww, it's fun to see this bumped up. Wow, I can't believe that was a year ago already!

My conclusion: really glad I did a residency but REALLY REALLY glad it's over!

A critical access hospital and medical center. It's great:)

So you have no regrets doing a residency?

I'm guessing you said you're glad you did a residency but relieved it's over is b/c the residency was physically/mentally exhausting? But that residency allowed you to get a great job, right?

So you have no regrets doing a residency?

I'm guessing you said you're glad you did a residency but relieved it's over is b/c the residency was physically/mentally exhausting? But that residency allowed you to get a great job, right?

You have an interesting quote from BL.This would help greatly during residency.:smuggrin: