So miserable in specialty that a year more seems unbearable

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alcmd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, with the threads lately from the new interns unhappy in their new field, it looks as if I am not the only one who is thinking of getting out. Unlike the interns, I have been in my specialty, well, lets just say for a whole lot longer than one month, and I am absolutely miserable. I tried to quit before but the match really tied my hands and I couldn't find a spot available outside of the match. The only reason I have not quit my current specialty is that I need a job; otherwise I would leave tomorrow.

I really do not want to be stuck where I am for another year. Has anyone switched mid-year- it seems that people do occasionally, but everyone that I have been asking for help pretty much have told me the doors are slammed shut unless I choose to go through the match. Other than it being painful to continue on here for another year, I also do not have time to be flying around the country to interview. Complete disaster.

Anyways, if ANYONE could help, I would be thrilled. I am looking for a pathology spot and at this point would go to North Dakota to get out of my current misery.

Members don't see this ad.

I know it seems intolerable but you can get through the current revolting situation. Besides, how do you know North Dakota is that bad? :)

alcmd said:
Anyways, if ANYONE could help, I would be thrilled. I am looking for a pathology spot and at this point would go to North Dakota to get out of my current misery.

I don't know why more people don't consider pathology from the beginning (well, they are starting to).

People almost never switch out of path to become something else.

But lots switch into path from other fields.

Join now before it's too late. Great fun, you actually spend most of your day thinking and solving problems instead of doing paperwork and being on the phone, plus you can't beat the hours and call.

yaah said:
I don't know why more people don't consider pathology from the beginning (well, they are starting to).

People almost never switch out of path to become something else.

But lots switch into path from other fields.

Join now before it's too late. Great fun, you actually spend most of your day thinking and solving problems instead of doing paperwork and being on the phone, plus you can't beat the hours and call.

There's a guy at our hospital that was actually a senior at my college when I was a freshman (16 years ago!), that did path for one year, then switched into family practice. I don't know anything that is so far apart.