So, I finally got to shadow an anesthesiologist, and I must say...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xpinchx

Michigan
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It isn't at all what I thought it was, and I'm fairly dissapointed. I used to think the anesthesiologists just sat there with their hand on a dial and it was sort of a fluff job. I tried to get myself away from that sort of thinking. "The CRNAs are the ones that do that... Anesthesiologists have to interview patients, choose which methods and drugs to use, etc." And I believed all that for a pretty long time. The anesthesiolgists are running from OR to OR putting people under and waking them up. Running codes and saving lives.

I'm really pretty depressed about it. In the reality of what I saw, the CRNAs did almost all of the work to speak of. They intubated, controlled the drugs, monitored, and then woke them up. The guy I shadowed just sort of supervised. Sure they guy was smart as hell and knew his ****. During the interviews and pre-op he could assess all the lab results and nurse's notes in a matter of minutes. "Platelets are low, RBC are low, psychosis dilirium, coughing up green mucus. He probably has pneumonia. We listen to his lungs. Yep, pneumonia. Send him to pulmonary to get him cleaned up, we can't operate." But really after that, there was a lot of sitting around.

As far as the anesthesia part went, he had me watch 2-3 CRNA's intubate: an obese, a ped, and an elderly. I asked some questions about the drugs, he answered. I asked more about intubation and he showed me some videos and went over some of the techniques, how to know you're in the right tube, etc. Other than that, we spent a lot of time in the anesthesiologist's lounge. There were 2 anesthesiologists that day and a lot of times both were in that lounge. After a while he just took me from OR to OR to watch different surgeries and called it a day.

I hate to say it, but the whole day I was there, he really didn't do anything. I know it's important for him to be around in case something comes up that a CRNA can't handle, but really there was a lot of standing around when there wasn't anything to do.

The reason I bring this all up is because I've always wanted to do anesthesiology. People have tried to talk me out of it, but I never listened. I hated watching the CRNAs suffle papers periodically just to appear busy (it was obvious. I have a useless job right now and I occasionaly get asked why I even need to be there. Which honestly, sometimes I wonder myself.) I really want a job where I feel I have a purpose, and the team would be much worse off without me. I want to be indespensable. Sitting around in the lounge for 20-30mins at a time with the doctor I was shadowing just made me think a lot. I watched a laproscopic gastric bypass. I was talking to the GI surgeon afterwards and asked if today (yesterday) was a slow day by most standars. "No, I've been going at it since 4am. I won't get to see the outside of the operating area for another 8 hours."

I totally appreciate the opportunity to shadow a doctor, but I guess this just sort of opened my eyes. I know his son, and he says that his dad goes crazy not having anything to do. He's actually gotten in trouble for picking up a mop and cleaning up the anesthesiology office. It sounds like a nice lifestyle, but I just don't know if I can do that. Seeing teams of surgeons working together to finish a case and seeing the CRNA off by himself next to his machine... The anesthesiologist only making a brief appearance before and after the surgeries, and then only to supervise.

Maybe this isn't the normal case at all (be sure to correct me if I'm wrong) but after what I've seen that day and read what I have on this forum about anthesiologist groups and a lot of general attitudes, anesthesiology no longer has any appeal to me. Despite the sacrifices needed, I really want to do surgery now. :oops:

Feel free to discuss. Sorry this post got so long.

Members don't see this ad.

Despite the sacrifices needed, I really want to do surgery now. :oops:

Well, now you know. At least you have made an informed decision based on your experiences. Most people just jump into anesthesia blindly for the perceived income and lifestyle benefits. I am typing this at 2 a.m. on a Friday night, so trust me.......the whole lifestyle thing is WAY overrated. Good that you've recognized that you have a personality more suitable to a surgical lifestyle.

Members don't see this ad :)
It isn't at all what I thought it was, and I'm fairly dissapointed. I used to think the anesthesiologists just sat there with their hand on a dial and it was sort of a fluff job. I tried to get myself away from that sort of thinking. "The CRNAs are the ones that do that... Anesthesiologists have to interview patients, choose which methods and drugs to use, etc." And I believed all that for a pretty long time. The anesthesiolgists are running from OR to OR putting people under and waking them up. Running codes and saving lives.

I'm really pretty depressed about it. In the reality of what I saw, the CRNAs did almost all of the work to speak of. They intubated, controlled the drugs, monitored, and then woke them up. The guy I shadowed just sort of supervised. Sure they guy was smart as hell and knew his ****. During the interviews and pre-op he could assess all the lab results and nurse's notes in a matter of minutes. "Platelets are low, RBC are low, psychosis dilirium, coughing up green mucus. He probably has pneumonia. We listen to his lungs. Yep, pneumonia. Send him to pulmonary to get him cleaned up, we can't operate." But really after that, there was a lot of sitting around.

As far as the anesthesia part went, he had me watch 2-3 CRNA's intubate: an obese, a ped, and an elderly. I asked some questions about the drugs, he answered. I asked more about intubation and he showed me some videos and went over some of the techniques, how to know you're in the right tube, etc. Other than that, we spent a lot of time in the anesthesiologist's lounge. There were 2 anesthesiologists that day and a lot of times both were in that lounge. After a while he just took me from OR to OR to watch different surgeries and called it a day.

I hate to say it, but the whole day I was there, he really didn't do anything. I know it's important for him to be around in case something comes up that a CRNA can't handle, but really there was a lot of standing around when there wasn't anything to do.

The reason I bring this all up is because I've always wanted to do anesthesiology. People have tried to talk me out of it, but I never listened. I hated watching the CRNAs suffle papers periodically just to appear busy (it was obvious. I have a useless job right now and I occasionaly get asked why I even need to be there. Which honestly, sometimes I wonder myself.) I really want a job where I feel I have a purpose, and the team would be much worse off without me. I want to be indespensable. Sitting around in the lounge for 20-30mins at a time with the doctor I was shadowing just made me think a lot. I watched a laproscopic gastric bypass. I was talking to the GI surgeon afterwards and asked if today (yesterday) was a slow day by most standars. "No, I've been going at it since 4am. I won't get to see the outside of the operating area for another 8 hours."

I totally appreciate the opportunity to shadow a doctor, but I guess this just sort of opened my eyes. I know his son, and he says that his dad goes crazy not having anything to do. He's actually gotten in trouble for picking up a mop and cleaning up the anesthesiology office. It sounds like a nice lifestyle, but I just don't know if I can do that. Seeing teams of surgeons working together to finish a case and seeing the CRNA off by himself next to his machine... The anesthesiologist only making a brief appearance before and after the surgeries, and then only to supervise.

Maybe this isn't the normal case at all (be sure to correct me if I'm wrong) but after what I've seen that day and read what I have on this forum about anthesiologist groups and a lot of general attitudes, anesthesiology no longer has any appeal to me. Despite the sacrifices needed, I really want to do surgery now. :oops:

It's easy and boring until someone steps back and says "YOU do it." It's a bit more exciting when you are running the show. Do a rotation before you judge. Shadowing is a waste of everyones time because no matter who you follow, it is boring as hell. Good luck.

If the OP is right, its a damning indictment of the profession.

Sorry guys, but thats not sustainable long term. The federal government which controls 60% of all healthcare dollars spent in the US (will be 80% by 2020) will NOT pay gas docs 350k per year to sit in a lounge and "supervise" CRNAS.

My understanding is there are groups where the anesthesiologists do their own cases, in which case YOU would be doing all the things you saw the CRNA do.

As for the advice to do a rotation, I think it might be a bit more like shadowing than you think. I agree that until someone says, "YOU do it," you don't really get how interesting and challenging it is, but it's really hard to get that feeling of accountability as a med student on a rotation.

Reactions: 1 user
lets not forget something very important here.

CRNAs and Anesthesiologists who are excellent at their jobs, make it LOOK easy to those who do not understand the delicate balance in play.

Also, this reminds me of the comparison b/t pilots and anesthesia providers. Neither are paid for the easy anesthetics or autopilot flights, both are paid for the 10% of the time when the **** hits the fan. If there was a "tech" there "turning the knobs" when something went awry the patient suffers.

first off -- mac -- i love that scene from malice...he was so good in that movie...

secondly, xpinchx -- this is the point of seeing it first hand. i was freaking out at the end of second year trying to think about what kind of doctor i wanted to be...I wanted to set up all my fourth year rotations and decide and be done with it. good thing i didn't. In fact all my friends in medical school were freaking to make a decision about what they wanted to be. let me tell you something...you will figure it out in your third year. because you need to see it to know.
but thats awesome that we all don't want the same thing! nothing is going to fit everyone's personality. Every rotation I have come across has not interested me at all....until I got to surgery and into the OR like you. My hands were in some guys belly covered in blood and all i could think about was what the anesthesiologist was doing and what the heart strip looked like and why they used etomidate for this guy.... The surgeons I worked with were nice to me but they were always in a rush and could be rude to others and acted like the king of the world when they walked into the OR. They don't ask nicely for things, they often bark it out and it carries out of the OR. You might like that. I didn't want to be that person... You might like that everyone pays attention to you when you walk in the room and that the OR revolves around you. These things bothered me... and the anesthesiologists were chill, happy, polite, flying under the radar, managing things quietly... and I thought: this is who i want to be, this will get me out of bed in the morning. it isn't for everyone. and that's okay. be a surgeon! good luck!

This isn't by any means a final decision, I won't let this one experience put me completely off. I'll likely do a gas rotation when the time comes (still a ways off) but it's just kind of sad that the way I imagined it didn't turn out to be very true (at least the day I was there.) Thanks for all your kind words, everyone. =)

if you shadow any physician, you're going to get the wrong impression of any field. shadowing is extrememly boring. i tell med students who are interviewing our program that they are in for a big surprise once they get here. a lot of people think anesthesia residency is you sit on your ass all day long and then get to go home at 3:00 pm. they are in for a rude awakening.

It isn't at all what I thought it was. The CRNAs intubated, controlled the drugs, monitored, and then woke them up. The guy I shadowed just sort of supervised. Sure they guy was smart as hell and knew his ****. During the interviews and pre-op he could assess all the lab results and nurse's notes in a matter of minutes. "Platelets are low, RBC are low, psychosis dilirium, coughing up green mucus. He probably has pneumonia. We listen to his lungs. Yep, pneumonia. As far as the anesthesia part went, he had me watch 2-3 CRNA's intubate: an obese, a ped, and an elderly. I asked some questions about the drugs, he answered. I asked more about intubation and he showed me some videos and went over some of the techniques, how to know you're in the right tube, etc.

Your description of what the CRNA did vs. what the MD did is not different from other areas of medicine (as others have implied). It's like saying shadowing an internist and saying "I was so disappointed, the NURSES drew all the bloods, gave all the meds, and cleaned up all the feces! The doc just stood around 'supervising,' writing orders, and making medical decisions!"

Anesthesiology is a MEDICAL practice. You acknowledge that the doc was "smart as hell" and made the medical calls, and that the CRNAs did the legwork.

You also emphasize was your experience was 'techniques'-oriented...perhaps the doc left all the mediciney goodness out cuz you're premed (or so I presume)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm

Just to point out the actual law....

Anesthesia is the practice of BOTH medicine and nursing. CRNAs can function without an anesthesiologist and do in many cases. This has been well established in case law.

You example is not even similar.

Your description of what the CRNA did vs. what the MD did is not different from other areas of medicine (as others have implied). It's like saying shadowing an internist and saying "I was so disappointed, the NURSES drew all the bloods, gave all the meds, and cleaned up all the feces! The doc just stood around 'supervising,' writing orders, and making medical decisions!"

Anesthesiology is a MEDICAL practice. You acknowledge that the doc was "smart as hell" and made the medical calls, and that the CRNAs did the legwork.

You also emphasize was your experience was 'techniques'-oriented...perhaps the doc left all the mediciney goodness out cuz you're premed (or so I presume)?

As a surgery resident...who is exhausted all the time, with constant foot, knee, hip and back pain...who is fed up with having a day when it looks like I might get to leave the hospital "early" (say, 7pm) getting a page from the ED for a pt with abdominal pain (and no one in the ED has even examined the pt yet)...sitting on my butt all day supervising nurses sounds pretty darn good!

I agree...shadowing isn't the same as doing. And not all practices are like the one you describe. Several of the private hospitals we rotate at as surgey residents have few to no CRNA's and the anesthesiologist not only do their own anesthesia, but they are stuck in the room till all that surgeons cases are done (so if the surgeon operates til 11pm...not that uncommon...the anesthesioloigist is stuck there that late as well)

Anesthesia is the practice of BOTH medicine and nursing. CRNAs can function without an anesthesiologist and do in many cases. This has been well established in case law.

You example is not even similar.

I didn't say anything about 'anesthesia.' I was saying that perceptions of medicine obtained by shadowing can be inaccurate. One shouldn't judge the medical discipline of anesthesiology by watching a CRNA obtain drugs and intubate.

Hey Fakin

There is alot more to what CRNAs do than "obtain drugs and intubate". Though I agree with you about the shadowing, i would say its the same as your perception of CRNAs. The anesthetic is often decided by, started by and modified on the fly by the CRNA. This isnt "following orders", its critical thinking based in science.

worked all day and night last night. awake fiberoptic intubations on guy in motorcycle crash with massive facial fractures who nearly bled to death, resuscitations in OR, a-lines, more fiberoptic intubations in SICU and OR, resuscitation of 2 two-year old twins stabbed by their psychotic mom (might make national news by the way).

pretty boring.

worked all day and night last night. awake fiberoptic intubations on guy in motorcycle crash with massive facial fractures who nearly bled to death, resuscitations in OR, a-lines, more fiberoptic intubations in SICU and OR, resuscitation of 2 two-year old twins stabbed by their psychotic mom (might make national news by the way).

pretty boring.

Was fun when a resident......now that I'm finished training....I can do all that stuff and more.....

but WHY would one WANT to do all that?

A good day is:

1) boring
2) no emergencies
3) lots of insured patients so that revenue will be high
4) no trauma
5) no late add-ons
6) pat on the back from hospital for keeping things boring.

Hey SF

I bet yer still high from the adrenaline! Well done.

pretty boring.

Was fun when a resident......now that I'm finished training....I can do all that stuff and more.....

A good day is:

1) boring
2) no emergencies
4) no trauma
5) no late add-ons

I couldn't agree more! :thumbup:

A good day is:

1) boring
2) no emergencies
4) no trauma
5) no late add-ons

yes... plus...

7) all patients wake-up nice
8) no PONV or uncontrollable pain
9) fast room turnover
10) chip-shot cases on otherwise ASA 1's

boring is good.

As you have discovered, the more you use your head, the less work you do with your hands.

Hmmm

CRNAs can function without an anesthesiologist and do iQUOTE]

I have never seen that.. I would never work at a place where thats the case.. Maybe it happens but in bum f.. egypt.. not in anyplace I have ever seen...

My understanding is there are groups where the anesthesiologists do their own cases, in which case YOU would be doing all the things you saw the CRNA do.

I am in so cal. I dont supervise crnas all of my cases are done with me and an anesthesia tech .. the anesthesia techs out here are really unbelievably helpful.

Actually,

This happens all over the country in ASCs as well as rural hospitals. Someone I know owns their own ASC in OC Calif. and they are a CRNA. Tuns of plastics and no anesthesiologists. So unless Orange County Ca is BFE, then it happens alot more than you think. The point is, it happens without anymore problems than 100% anesthesiologist practices.

Hmmm

CRNAs can function without an anesthesiologist and do iQUOTE]

I have never seen that.. I would never work at a place where thats the case.. Maybe it happens but in bum f.. egypt.. not in anyplace I have ever seen...

Actually,

This happens all over the country in ASCs as well as rural hospitals. Someone I know owns their own ASC in OC Calif. and they are a CRNA. Tuns of plastics and no anesthesiologists. So unless Orange County Ca is BFE, then it happens alot more than you think. The point is, it happens without anymore problems than 100% anesthesiologist practices.

got your point. now go away

Awww

Did i bruise yer big ego? Welcome to reality, you have alot to learn Son.

Actually,

got your point. now go away

no didn't bruise my ego. just telling a middle age loser like yourself to go away.

huhuh

Now thats funny right there. You have alot of hard lessons in your future bud.

no didn't bruise my ego. just telling a middle age loser like yourself to go away.

uh ok. Lessons in life? Lessons in guitar? Lessons in dealing with middle age losers who post in in threads they have nothing to contribute to? Lessons in tennis? Violin lessons? hmm..

uh ok. Lessons in life? Lessons in guitar? Lessons in dealing with middle age losers who post in in threads they have nothing to contribute to? Lessons in tennis? Violin lessons? hmm.

:wow: :barf:

Jeez........that would have been funny in like junior high!

Actually,

I am in La county.. tell me the name of the surgery center.. would love to know it... i wanna verify this one.. I thik its bs.. nitecap

Sure

I sent you a PM, you will find the owner and sole anesthesia provider is a CRNA.

Please report back here with how you were wrong. Also, im not nitecap.

The other scary thing is that NA training program (2.5 years) is almost as long as an anesthesia residency and both get the same training in the OR. There is no other field that does that. Can you image a 4-year SA training program or a 4-year rad tech program?

The other scary thing is that NA training program (2.5 years) is almost as long as an anesthesia residency and both get the same training in the OR. There is no other field that does that. Can you image a 4-year SA training program or a 4-year rad tech program?

Alot of crna training time is spent in a classroom. They dont get anywhere near the or training we do. Several SRNA were graduating today - I remember they were ICU nurses when I started my residency, not even in school yet. Now they are finished and I (CA2) have 1.5 years left still. We do WAAAYY more in residency than they do in school. Now that is not to say that a CRNA that has been practicing for years is not experienced. But one who is fresh out of school is usually very green and has a big militant chip on their shoulder.

I am in La county.. tell me the name of the surgery center.. would love to know it... i wanna verify this one.. I thik its bs.. nitecap

How do those words taste now johankriek, considering your choking on them as soon as you look up the info? :laugh: I know of this place he's talking about... plastic surgeons coming from all over, including internationally to learn surgical techniques from the main surgeon, clients coming from all over the US and from foreign countries, ASC owned by and anesthesia provided by a CRNA.

And he ain't nitecap (personally i consider this a good thing myself).

How do those words taste now johankriek, considering your choking on them as soon as you look up the info? :laugh: I know of this place he's talking about... plastic surgeons coming from all over, including internationally to learn surgical techniques from the main surgeon, clients coming from all over the US and from foreign countries, ASC owned by and anesthesia provided by a CRNA.

And he ain't nitecap (personally i consider this a good thing myself).

no such surgery center in existence..

maybe there is one in BFE>>>

why dont you all go back to the nursing forums.. geez.. this is a pro physician forum..

Man

I PMd you the address as well as the name of the owner. Do you need the phone number I have that too. I recently spent a week in that OR so i happen to know it exists.

Last i checked, Santa Ana isnt BFE. Also, added the main plastic surgeon as well as one of his partners, call them if you like.

Im not "anti" physician, im actually quite pro. However, I am Anti-ignorance and disinformation.

no such surgery center in existence..

maybe there is one in BFE>>>

why dont you all go back to the nursing forums.. geez.. this is a pro physician forum..

johankriek said:
why don't you go back to the nursing forums...geez...this is a pro physician board

I've got no problems with this being a pro-physician board. I've got 3X the posts as you do and unlike you, I actually coughed up 20 bucks to support this site.

You called BS on something you have no idea about. Get over it.

I don't know how else to tell you that you are wrong about the existence of this place....but you are.

Did a mighty MD (johan) just get pwned by non-MD's?

Man

. Do you need the phone number I have that too. .

give me the phone number...I will call down there.. I have a late case tomorrow actually... Ill call before i start..

its prolly a plastic surgeon owned place who uses crnas exclusively because they are cheaper.... very short sighted of him

Uh Huh

You just cant believe that your wrong can you? Well, A CRNA does OWN it. Call.

Wow, shortsighted eh? Since you opened it up, please evidence where that is the case.

PS. I PM'd you the phone number

its prolly a plastic surgeon owned place who uses crnas exclusively because they are cheaper.... very short sighted of him