So how does on get a chance to shadow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr.E

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting here.

I've tried to call several dentist around my area to see if they would allow me to shadow them an evening or two a week. So far, all the dentists I've contacted have denied my request, claiming that it would be bad for business as most patients would be uncomfortable with the experience. I am begining to feel that no dentist is willing to help out. Has anyone experienced something similar to this? What did you do?

Members don't see this ad.

Mr.E said:
Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting here.

I've tried to call several dentist around my area to see if they would allow me to shadow them an evening or two a week. So far, all the dentists I've contacted have denied my request, claiming that it would be bad for business as most patients would be uncomfortable with the experience. I am begining to feel that no dentist is willing to help out. Has anyone experienced something similar to this? What did you do?

Yeah this sucks and personally i would always try my best to accomodate a student in need if i was a dentist. The best approach here is networking. You have 2 options.

1) Go to your dentist and if he/she rufuses stop going to them
2) Network through friends/realtives (likely someone or a relative knows a dentist) --This worked for me
3) Keep trying

Good Luck!

I did not have that much trouble in finding dentist to shadow. I shadowed around 5 different dentist during the summer of last year. I first asked my former professor of O-chem to speak with her dentist about me shadowing. I shadowed that dentist for about three weeks. I think she got annoyed with me, so I stopped and started looking for other dentists. I open the phone book and started with the As. On the third call I was directed to former professor at LLUSD. It was great shadowing this guy. I also sent an email to a group practice and was about to shadow three dentists in one day. I returned to this group practice many times and felt very welcomed there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Best thing for you to do in your case is to contact your local dental society (do a Google search for Dental Society with your specific city or county). From there speak to one of the receptionists and they should be able to assist you with contacting dentists that are willing to let you shadow.

Where I did my undergraduate, there was a predental club that had a shadowing program. The dentist I shadowed was a former student of this university who was very open to shadowing and writing LOR. Good luck!

next time you're getting your teeth cleaned tell the dentist you want to go to dent school and ask if he'd mind you following him around. Generally always works ...

CJWolf said:
next time you're getting your teeth cleaned tell the dentist you want to go to dent school and ask if he'd mind you following him around. Generally always works ...

Yeah, during my first visit to my new dentist, I told him I was applying to dental school. He was very, very excited for me. I didn't mention anything about shadowing him but I could tell he really loved his job and was the type of guy who would want to share his experience. I called him last week about shadowing and this is what I said...I think it's best to phrase it this way so it takes the pressure off of the dentist. I asked, "Would you be willing to have me shadow you for a couple of hours a week during July or do you know of any dentists in the area that have students shadow them?" I was lucky because he was really willing to have me come to his office, but I also took the pressure off of him and opened to door to other opportunties. If he didn't work out, I could have called Dr. Y and said, "Dr. X told me you sometimes have students shadow you. I'm applying to dental school and would really like. . .blah blah blah."

Best of luck! I start next week!

My personal dentist rejected my request to shadow or even ask questions. I found out that he really does not enjoy his job at all from his former professor at LLU who I shadowed. His former professor said that his true passion is country music singing. The next time I visited the office I notice the music in his office was country.

This is one of the things that is making me nervous, but I'm planning on starting with my dentist, and then moving on from there if he turns me down.

I appreciate everyone's thoughtful replies. I suppose I will continue to try and call some dentists around my area and see what they say.

Also, how do dental schools feel about other types of volunteer work? I've shadowed a DO for sometime now (currently still doing it because it is fun), volunteered at a region hospital (six months 4hrs per/wk), and helped out at non-profit organizations (last 4yrs)---would any of this be able to take the place of shadowing a dentist?

Thanks ahead of time for your replies. You guys rock!