So how am I doing? Right track?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question real quick for you Catalystik as far as LORs. Since I stupidly put LORs on the backburner the last few years I am scrambling to get my LORs now.

I have a non science professor that said he would write me a letter (I was the only student in his class to go to office hours, I got to know him pretty well and he said he would be happy to write me a letter; his wife is also a pediatrician so he knows what's up).

I also have a past Ecology professor from last year who I've run into again, he said a year ago he'd write me a LOR but things fell through. Anyways, I'm sure now that I've reconnected with him I will get a LOR from him.

I've also got a professor this semester who I also had a class with last semester, I'm in a lab/lecture class with him. I haven't asked him yet but I'm hoping he will write me one, he's a nice guy so I'm not too concerned. Is it acceptable to ask a professor for an LOR before the semester is over on the premise he won't have to write it until everything's done?

I also will be asking a primary care doctor (a DO, hopefully that's okay) I've shadowed pretty heavily over the past year for one. He's also the medical director for my EMS association, and again is a nice guy so I'm not expecting any roadblocks getting a letter from him either.

Here's my question/concern though. For my old music professor, he asked that I provide him with my transcript, list of ECs, personal statement and whatnot. I know this is a reasonable request, and am planning on giving the other 3 these same materials. The problem is I've been beyond busy at the end of the semester here and was not planning on writing my personal statement until classes are over, in the 3 week span after graduation and before primaries open up June 1st. Do you need to have your LORs done and submitted with your primary, or do you submit your LORs specifically to each school in your secondary. If it's during the secondary, what I was planning on doing was just printing out my AMCAS application and giving a copy to each professor, so they have a list of all my ECs and explanations, my PS, my grades... everything. That way, I can give professors weeks in-between me submitting my primary and getting secondaries back for them to write my LORs.

Also, a little side update. It looks pretty certain I'll be doing Americorps NCCC this Fall (October - first week of August 2012 looks to be the timeline). The only thing that will stop me is if Americorps loses federal funding or there are more members on the waitlist than there are spots and I don't get chosen. If I find out within the next month that I'm for sure doing Americorps, do you suggest I work that into my PS? It seems, at least to me, that Americorps is a pretty significant activity that adcoms would like to know about/something that would better my application. Going off that though, I know you said before that Americorps would give me some extra "points" with some schools, but just how significant of an EC do you think it is? Is it something that will take my EC activities, which you said before are already pretty strong, and make them great? Basically, how great of an effect will it have upon my application?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

1) Since I stupidly put LORs on the backburner the last few years I am scrambling to get my LORs now.

I have a non science professor that said he would write me a letter (I was the only student in his class to go to office hours, I got to know him pretty well and he said he would be happy to write me a letter; his wife is also a pediatrician so he knows what's up).

I also have a past Ecology professor from last year who I've run into again, he said a year ago he'd write me a LOR but things fell through. Anyways, I'm sure now that I've reconnected with him I will get a LOR from him.

I've also got a professor this semester who I also had a class with last semester, I'm in a lab/lecture class with him. I haven't asked him yet but I'm hoping he will write me one, he's a nice guy so I'm not too concerned. Is it acceptable to ask a professor for an LOR before the semester is over on the premise he won't have to write it until everything's done?

I also will be asking a primary care doctor (a DO, hopefully that's okay) I've shadowed pretty heavily over the past year for one. He's also the medical director for my EMS association, and again is a nice guy so I'm not expecting any roadblocks getting a letter from him either.

Here's my question/concern though. For my old music professor, he asked that I provide him with my transcript, list of ECs, personal statement and whatnot. I know this is a reasonable request, and am planning on giving the other 3 these same materials. The problem is I've been beyond busy at the end of the semester here and was not planning on writing my personal statement until classes are over, in the 3 week span after graduation and before primaries open up June 1st.

2) Do you need to have your LORs done and submitted with your primary, or do you submit your LORs specifically to each school in your secondary. If it's during the secondary, what I was planning on doing was just printing out my AMCAS application and giving a copy to each professor, so they have a list of all my ECs and explanations, my PS, my grades... everything. That way, I can give professors weeks in-between me submitting my primary and getting secondaries back for them to write my LORs.

3) I find out within the next month that I'm for sure doing Americorps, do you suggest I work that into my PS? It seems, at least to me, that Americorps is a pretty significant activity that adcoms would like to know about/something that would better my application. Going off that though, I know you said before that Americorps would give me some extra "points" with some schools, but just how significant of an EC do you think it is? Is it something that will take my EC activities, which you said before are already pretty strong, and make them great? Basically, how great of an effect will it have upon my application?
1) The LOR plans you've outlined look fine provided the prof with lab and lecture is a science class.
DO letter is fine for MD applications.
A rough draft of your PS will have to get done sooner. It doesn't have to be the final polished version. But you'll need to get it started sooner than expected.

2) LORs do not need to be done in time to submit the Primary. You can get them organized and sent in later.
It's fine to ask a prof ahead of time about an LOR, but it might be better to wait, just in case you don't perform as well as anticipated.

3) Sorry I can't quantitate the effect that Americorps will have on your application, or swear that it will be beneficial at 100% of institutions, but I have seen this activity lift a mediocre application to remarkable success on many occasions at many med schools. I hope you don't do it just for this reason. That would make me sad.

Well it appears I spoke too soon on the Americorp thing. Apparently a record number of people applied this year because of the terrible job market, and decisions started coming out right around my last post, and I didn't end up receiving one. Kind of goofy actually the way they accept people; everybody they're willing to accept gets put into a waitlist pool and then people randomly get accepted out of there. Anyways, it seems as if Americorps will be a no go.

No worries though, because I've already got a plan B. I'm planning on going through the next level of EMT certification this summer (EMT- Intermediate), and at the suggestion of one of my friends that I EMT with, get a job as an ER tech at the Trauma 1 hospital here, which is also the school's hospital (my friend works there, says it's a great experience). I don't know if my clinical experience could get a whole lot better with my shadowing, hospital volunteering, and EMTing, but what do you think of the ER Tech thing?

Also, that old Ecology professor offered me a job this summer. He's the director of a summer education program run through the University that's targeted towards minorities/disadvantaged children. It's a 1 or 3 week program that teaches middle and high schoolers in various areas, and he offered me a position doing science education. It would start after I submit my primary, but can I address it on my primary if I know for certain I will be doing it this summer?

Also, I talked before about my senior research project. Well, it ended up going really well and the professor said he's going to publish my groups' work and we'll be co-authors on it. It was a very involved project, requiring about 20-30 hours per week for the last 2 1/2 months, and the project was designed and executed by me and my two group members, the professor basically gave us the animals and gave us advice along the way, but we were the final decision makers on everything. I'm also not sure how to address this on my application. Although the experience was not as long as my previous research experience, I was a lot more involved in this one and learned a LOT more from it; I would liken it to a lot of summer research internships my friends have had. As for the publication, can I address it in my primary by just saying that a publication is in process? Also, I'm thinking of asking the professor for a LOR, even though I'm also going to ask the professor that teaches the class this is organized through for an LOR as well (the lab professor also teaches another lecture class I'm in, and I had him last semester as well).

Just figured I'd give you a little update and ask a little bit more about how to go about this whole primary business. Also, I know I asked before, but do you think my research experience was benefited enough from this experience that I can apply to more competitive schools? If in my PS I can do a good job of explaining my immaturity freshman year, with my steep upward trend, MCAT scores, ECs (which you said before were pretty good as a whole, yes?), and assuming quality LORs, how competitive of an applicant would you consider me? Although everybody I've talked to tells me I have nothing to worry about, that I should expect to get in, I feel like my poor freshman year has a good chance of keeping me out of medical school, even with everything I've done since then to redeem myself.

Just to update my list I've kept:

cGPA:
3.5-3.6
sGPA:
3.5-3.6
MCAT:
36S
EMT:
2 years, 1500+ hours
Hospital Volunteer:
1 semester, ~50 hours
Research:
8 months in Neurosurgery bench research lab
3 month senior research project, very intense experience, 20-30 hours/week, publication pending
Shadowing:
Primary care doc(40 hours), pediatric neurologist(6 hours), orthopedic surgeon (15 hours)
Community Service:
10 months of wild life rehab through Human Society (3 hrs/week)
5 months of Science outreach at salvation army (2 hrs/week)
6 Years volunteer for local mountain biking not-for-profit (4-500 hours/summer)
Leadership:
Vice Pres of EMS Association (Jan 2011 - present)
Hobby:
Mountain biking: very serious hobby, I race, ride constantly during the spring/summer/fall and according to my friends/family, spend "way too much money on damn bikes!"

As always, Thank You Catalystik!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Americorps will be a no go.

2) what do you think of the ER Tech thing?

3) offered me a position doing science education. It would start after I submit my primary, but can I address it on my primary if I know for certain I will be doing it this summer?

4) As for the publication, can I address it in my primary by just saying that a publication is in process?

5) do you think my research experience was benefited enough from this experience that I can apply to more competitive schools?

6) how competitive of an applicant would you consider me?

cGPA:
3.5-3.6
sGPA:
3.5-3.6
MCAT:
36S
EMT:
2 years, 1500+ hours
Hospital Volunteer:
1 semester, ~50 hours
Research:
3 month senior research project, very intense experience, 20-30 hours/week, publication pending
Shadowing:
Primary care doc(40 hours), pediatric neurologist(6 hours), orthopedic surgeon (15 hours)
Community Service:
Leadership:
Hobby:
Mountain biking: very serious hobby, I race, ride constantly during the spring/summer/fall and according to my friends/family, spend "way too much money on damn bikes!"

1) Be sure to take it out of your PS if you mentioned it there.

2) An excellent source of additional clinical environment experience that EMT doesn't give you.

3) No. There is many a slip twixt the cup and the lip. Save it for an update letter.

4) No. It is worthless to say a manuscript is in preparation or even that you submitted one. Until it's accepted, it doesn't help. Again, save it for an update letter.

5) It is only eight months of research. This is less than average for all those who apply. That said, no one said you can't apply to some dream schools anyway.

6) Extrapolating precisely from available 2010 AAMC data, a 3.5/36 gives you a 62% chance of an MD acceptance. A 3.6/36 gives you a 69% chance.

Okay so application season is coming up, I've started my AMCAS, and am hoping to be verified and ready to submit June 1st.

I do not have my last semester grades yet, do you think I should wait for a transcript request to get them or send them off to AMCAS without my last semester?

Also, I was wondering if people could give me some advice on my schools list, it's still a work in progress but I'm starting to get a good list of school that I feel like I fit at, match numbers wise (using LizzyM as a general guest-imate), and aren't outrageously expensive to attend:

RFU, Loyola, Mayo, UMinnesota, Wisc, MCoW, OHSU, Penn State, Brown, Iowa, UNC, Rochester, UWashington, VTech, Wake, WVU.

This is my favorite thread on this entire forum that I have read thus far. It seems like you have come a long way. You give hope to all of those that are lagging beyond, and inspiration to those who have lost their way or looking to give their app a boost. Thank you for continuously updating this over the years. I am also from Wisconsin so I might see you at U-dubs in a couple of years!

Good luck and keep posting!!

-TS

Thanks for the kind words, are you applying this year?

Catalystik, if you see this, what do ya think of my new schools list?

Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words, are you applying this year?

No not this year. I still have another 1.5-2 years at my school so if all goes as planned I will be entering med school in fall 2013.

RFU, Loyola, Mayo, UMinnesota, Wisc, MCoW, OHSU, Penn State, Brown, Iowa, UNC, Rochester, UWashington, VTech, Wake, WVU.
Assuming you recall Post #91 and moving on, be sure you're OK with UNC's OOS matriculation rate, read the selection factors for WVU and UWashington. I heard that Brown planned to start taking more out-of-region matricualnts, but I don't know if that's started yet (check the newest MSAR or read the School Specific Forum about it).

Final semester GPA: 3.67

Final year GPA: 3.784

Final Cumulative GPA: 3.53

I'm in the thick of filling out AMCAS right now. Still working on my personal statement, getting all my activities listed and I'm requesting all my transcripts to be sent tomorrow. Also added RFU and Einstein to the school list for a total of 18 schools. Do you think I need more Catalystik?

So I wanted to add a few more schools from the original list you gave me because I want to be as safe as I can.

Einstein, Boston U, RFU, USCal, Loyola, MCW, Mayo, Ohio State, OHSU, Penn State, Rush, Brown, Arizona, Arkansas, UCLA, Iowa, Louisville, Miami, Minnesota, UNC, Rochester, UW, Wisconsin, VTech, Wake Forest, WVU

Personal Statement is getting there. What is the opinion on humor in a personal statement? It's in my intro, and I feel like it's very safe humor, something that a member of an adcom who's familiar with the medicolegal system would chuckle at, which is what I want for an intro.

I requested all of my transcripts be sent today, so hopefully AMCAS will get them by Monday, and I'll be ready to submit June 1st and be verified soon after.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the opinion on humor in a personal statement? It's in my intro, and I feel like it's very safe humor, something that a member of an adcom who's familiar with the medicolegal system would chuckle at, which is what I want for an intro.
I suggest having multiple readers look it over to be sure the humor translates as intended. All adcomm members will not be familiar with the trials and tribulations of the current medicolegal climate (like PhDs and such).

I've had multiple people look over it, including SDN readers, and have gotten good comments about it, that it's interesting and flows well.

I'm just waiting for AMCAS to receive and process my Tech. College transcript for my EMT-Basic class (One class that I doubt Adcoms care about has held my application up for a week) before I submit, so I'm constantly reading over my app, changing my school list, and just making myself more and more neurotic and thinking I'm somehow screwing something up.

I think I've finalized my school list. I've attached a picture of an excel I made, with the schools, their median GPA, MCAT, and LizzyM score (without the +1 to my score, in attempt to be more conservative with my list). I think it's a decent list, I've definitely added some more potentially reach-y schools, but I've had quite a few people tell me I'm selling myself short and should apply to some more competitive schools so I'm giving it a shot, but still applying to what I consider a healthy amount of "safety" schools.

I do have one question though for people with knowledge about OHSU's admission requirements. They say that they look for OOS applicants with superior academic achievement and qualify this as 3.65+,32+, but is a strict cutoff that they will screen by? Basically, is it just a waste to apply there if they'll screen my 3.53 GPA?

Also, if you submit a secondary with the 3 required LORs (2 science, 1 non-science), can you add additional LORs later? There's a doctor I've shadowed that I'll be able to get a letter from, the only problem is he's going on vacation and since I'm submitting so early, I might get secondaries back before I have a letter from him. Since he's not a required letter I don't want to wait on him if I can send additional letters after I submit my secondary.

Thanks!

Attachments

• LizzyM's.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 74
Officially submitted today and I just want to thank each and every one of you who have helped me out over these past 2+ years. When I made this thread back in early 2009 I was crushed, and I thought there was no chance I'd ever be able to become a doctor. I've changed so much as a person since then, worked so hard to redeem myself and done so many great things along the way and a lot of it is because of the help and motivation I've received from people on SDN, especially in this thread.

Special thanks to Catalystik, as this thread has pretty much turned into a dialogue between me and you, and you've given me so much help and guidance I can't even put into words how much it means to me. I'd be nowhere close to where I am today if it wasn't for your continuous help over the years, and your patience with me as I've kept coming back to you for answers to my sometimes numerous questions. You are truly a great person for all that you do on these forums and for all the help that you've given to me I will forever be grateful. Thank you so much.

Last edited:
So I'm still waiting on one more letter from a science professor that I should have within the next week or two. I've been filling out secondaries, it's a lot slower of a process than I thought it would be. I'm just curious if I would be considered late if I didn't get complete at schools until late July? I'm hoping to have most schools, at least the ones I've gotten secondaries from, done by that time and once I get that last LOR can be complete almost immediately at 10-15 schools.

Late July should be fine I think. Most medical schools start handing out interviews in the month of July, so you should be ok.

Finally got my last LOR last Friday; uploaded it to AMCAS and assigned it to all schools today. So today I'll have finally completed 15 apps I've had piled up, and have motivation to get the last 5 or so done by the end of this week.

I know you said 9/1 is late, but do you think being complete now is going to hurt me at all?

Another hold up. I guess one of my letters isn't on official departmental letter head, so I got put on hold at one school so far for it. I've already emailed the professor and asked him to just copy/paste to a letter head document, but I was wondering if most school will even care about this? It's still signed Professor Blah Blah PhD, so should it be a problem at every school?

The school was Boston just FYI, and their secondary email specifically says letters to be on official letterhead, but I don't see that statement for any other school.

I just wanted to say that I'm a total greenhorn at this and this thread is really inspiring me. It's really made me realize that I still have a lot to do in order to grow. I wish you all the best, and.. I really hope I can improve as far as you have!

So Catalystik I was hoping you could answer this since you're on an admissions committee. One of my letters of rec. is from a physician I've shadowed for quite a few hours, and who is also the medical director my EMS association. Apparently he doesn't have access to letterhead because he's not practicing for a large clinic and doesn't have any letterhead for his practice. His letter is signed, but there is no way to put it on letter head for the previously mentioned reason. Since it's not a required letter (I've got 2 science and 1 non science letters already), do you think schools will allow it? I talked to Mayo already because they put me on hold and they said they'd allow it, but I'm wondering if I'm going to have to call/email every school and talk to them about it.

Side note: Since I know there was an issue with one of my letters, would most schools put me on hold, and notify me? The reason I ask is because even after mayo and boston emailed me saying there was a problem with one of my letters, I had other schools emailing me telling me my application was complete. Do school check the letter to make sure they're fine before the complete an app?

Alas, every school is different, so I cannot give you blanket reassurance. You'll need to call each school to know how they feel. But that's better than discovering months into the process that you were not notified your file was put on hold for that reason, and we've seen that happen too.

Interview invites at Wake Forest and UWisc! It's almost hard to believe that I'm here after reading through this thread; seeing where I started off and everything that's happened in between. I sincerely appreciate all the help that's been extended to me over the last 3 years, I'd be nowhere close to where I am today if it wasn't for SDN.

Well it appears I spoke too soon on the Americorp thing. Apparently a record number of people applied this year because of the terrible job market, and decisions started coming out right around my last post, and I didn't end up receiving one. Kind of goofy actually the way they accept people; everybody they're willing to accept gets put into a waitlist pool and then people randomly get accepted out of there. Anyways, it seems as if Americorps will be a no go.

No worries though, because I've already got a plan B. I'm planning on going through the next level of EMT certification this summer (EMT- Intermediate), and at the suggestion of one of my friends that I EMT with, get a job as an ER tech at the Trauma 1 hospital here, which is also the school's hospital (my friend works there, says it's a great experience). I don't know if my clinical experience could get a whole lot better with my shadowing, hospital volunteering, and EMTing, but what do you think of the ER Tech thing?

Also, that old Ecology professor offered me a job this summer. He's the director of a summer education program run through the University that's targeted towards minorities/disadvantaged children. It's a 1 or 3 week program that teaches middle and high schoolers in various areas, and he offered me a position doing science education. It would start after I submit my primary, but can I address it on my primary if I know for certain I will be doing it this summer?

Also, I talked before about my senior research project. Well, it ended up going really well and the professor said he's going to publish my groups' work and we'll be co-authors on it. It was a very involved project, requiring about 20-30 hours per week for the last 2 1/2 months, and the project was designed and executed by me and my two group members, the professor basically gave us the animals and gave us advice along the way, but we were the final decision makers on everything. I'm also not sure how to address this on my application. Although the experience was not as long as my previous research experience, I was a lot more involved in this one and learned a LOT more from it; I would liken it to a lot of summer research internships my friends have had. As for the publication, can I address it in my primary by just saying that a publication is in process? Also, I'm thinking of asking the professor for a LOR, even though I'm also going to ask the professor that teaches the class this is organized through for an LOR as well (the lab professor also teaches another lecture class I'm in, and I had him last semester as well).

Just figured I'd give you a little update and ask a little bit more about how to go about this whole primary business. Also, I know I asked before, but do you think my research experience was benefited enough from this experience that I can apply to more competitive schools? If in my PS I can do a good job of explaining my immaturity freshman year, with my steep upward trend, MCAT scores, ECs (which you said before were pretty good as a whole, yes?), and assuming quality LORs, how competitive of an applicant would you consider me? Although everybody I've talked to tells me I have nothing to worry about, that I should expect to get in, I feel like my poor freshman year has a good chance of keeping me out of medical school, even with everything I've done since then to redeem myself.

cGPA:
3.5-3.6
sGPA:
3.5-3.6
MCAT:
36S
EMT:
2 years, 1500+ hours
Hospital Volunteer:
1 semester, ~50 hours
Research:
Shadowing:
Community Service:
Leadership:
Hobby:

I read your first post and date then skipped everything else then read this...... :thumbup: Well effing done sir... well effing done. Way to make a strong turn around :)

What a fantastic thread. Even if you don't get into med school (which I highly doubt) you still have accomplished an incredible turnaround and have kept with something you promised ~4 years ago.

Good Luck!

Interview invites at Wake Forest and UWisc! It's almost hard to believe that I'm here after reading through this thread; seeing where I started off and everything that's happened in between. I sincerely appreciate all the help that's been extended to me over the last 3 years, I'd be nowhere close to where I am today if it wasn't for SDN.

congrats! I've been following your thread. you are awesome man! +rep

Thanks for all the kind words! My first interview is tomorrow, I'll be sure to post in here how it goes, as well as all other good news I get over the next few months!

This is definitely the best thread I've read on here. Very inspiring, considering I'm now in the spot where you started. Low starting GPA, etc, but I've got a year and a half left before I apply to med school. I hope to have my app looks just as good as yours by that time. Looking forward to hearing what schools you're accepted to!

Last edited:
hey i'm just wondering what you plan on doing with your year off besides interviews and such which is awesome to hear. I'm not sure if you mentioned it or not but I was just wondering to help myself out. Thanks.

Update:

I've interviewed at UWisc, Wake Forest, Minnesota Twin cities, VTech so far and am interviewing at MCW this friday. I also just got an invite to Ohio State for Feb 1st.

I've been waitlisted at Wake Forest and have yet to hear back from any other schools, although I'm hoping for the perfect christmas present from one of these schools in the form of an acceptance!

Livestrong, during my year off I've been volunteering at the humane society, still EMTing, taking a class to increase my licensure, and working at the local Level 1 hospital as an ECG Tech.

New update! Accepted at MCW! I'M GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!!!

Words can't even describe how happy I am. Thank you once more to all those that have helped me over these past 3 years. It's still unbelievable to me how far I've come since starting this thread.

To anybody that reads this thread and is in the position I was in 3 years ago, just remember that you can get out of it and that all the hard work you put in will eventually pay off!

New update! Accepted at MCW! I'M GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!!!

Words can't even describe how happy I am. Thank you once more to all those that have helped me over these past 3 years. It's still unbelievable to me how far I've come since starting this thread.

To anybody that reads this thread and is in the position I was in 3 years ago, just remember that you can get out of it and that all the hard work you put in will eventually pay off!

You give hope to a lot of people and hard work pays off.

Congratulations!

Sorry to ask this on someone else's thread...

Hopefully, it means more than just running meetings. There's LEADERSHIP, and then there's leadership. You know what I mean?

What exactly qualifies as a LEADERSHIP position? Other than just taking care of meetings, I would hope that this banner includes organizing events and advising other students with matters. But I've never really been in full understanding of what that means (other than captain of a sports team).

Would you believe that this banner could include being an upper classmen adviser for freshman in undergrad? My college as a position where as advisers we live with freshman, build their college (academic, lifestyle, anything really) experience, handle the planning of their classes with their faculty advisers, among other things like introducing them to college life. But I'm struggling to think of other (important) leadership roles or even if this counts as one.

Last edited:
Congratulations! What an amazing and inspiring story! I am very glad I came along this post, thank you for sharing!

You are so awesome!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpqOWO6ctsg[/YOUTUBE]