so check this...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ultane123

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
u.

Members don't see this ad.

ultane123 said:
i origingally posted this in the radiology section, since my 4th year friend is gonna apply for rads, but i'm curious what type of Medicine residency this kid could pull? top 10? top 20?

i personally think he's golden, but what do you think?

here are his stats:

former fulbright scholar before duke med, P on all basic science, HP on all rotations, 220 step I, great letters, 10 internal medicine publications (full-manuscripts; 1 first author pub, 3 second author pub, the rest are 3rd author pubs), 6 abstracts, 3 national meeting presentations

what do you think?

u.

He'll likely get interviews just about everywhere , although the lack of Honor's in medicine and and 220 MAY hurt him SLIGHTLY at a couple of places (The Brigham, and maybe MGH, Hopkins....or not i really cant say since i dont have as accomplished a med school/research background, maybe someone who does can respond). However, given his strong research background, great med school, and overall stellar profile...it probably won't matter. He's a great applicant for anywhere. (check the interview stats section to correlate general applicant profiles to interviews....you'll see an overall trend, although the process can be quite random.)

I think all P in basic science and all HP in clinical, plus a mediocre step 1, will most definitely hurt him at top places. Because he is from Duke, he might get interviews but likely won't rank to match. Honors in Medicine is very important. But he is competitive for places like BU, perhaps BIDMC, perhaps Cornell, Yale primary care, Temple, just about everywhere in the midwest (except Mayo, UTSW and Baylor), and in my opinion not many chances in Cali or Seattle. But you never know until you try.
I also think he might get a rads residency easily at mid tier programs, provided he applies widely.