SN2ed 2013 summer folks, post here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ttt92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just thought I would start a thread for people taking the MCAT in late August/September and using the SN2ed schedule. I thought it would be a good place to post our progress, issues, rantings about the studying, or questions we had about the schedule?? I myself am not starting until later this week after finals.

GOOD LUCK everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Is it better to go with the BR Bio chapter rather than reading EK Bio and trying to take the matching BR passages?

I'm unsure on which approach is better in studying for the BS section......

Depends on how much detail you want. BR Bio goes above an beyond what you need to know for the MCAT. But BR passages are slightly easier if you do their reading. If you're willing to put in the extra time, BR reading's definitely for you. EK just gives the basics, which again, is part of the reason BR passages seem harder when you do EK reading.

Is it better to go with the BR Bio chapter rather than reading EK Bio and trying to take the matching BR passages?

I'm unsure on which approach is better in studying for the BS section......

It is a waste of time.
BS these days is all about analyzing what is given in the passages. You really need to know very little details.

On 5/30, I did not have to know ANY SINGLE DETAIL, except for one orgo passage. Not even exaggerating.

It is a waste of time.
BS these days is all about analyzing what is given in the passages. You really need to know very little details.

On 5/30, I did not have to know ANY SINGLE DETAIL, except for one orgo passage. Not even exaggerating.

Yea that seems to be the deal.

I kind of have to admit, I wish we did have to know more details. I'd always feel a little better using my knowledge rather than depending more on my thinking skills from the passage. But I guess that's what this is all about anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is a waste of time.

The frequency with which people report having exceedingly specific, obscure discretes on BS seems to contradict this line of thought quite strongly. I don't think I need to remind anyone that one tester's experience on a single exam form is not necessarily representative of the exam as a whole. One could also counter my point and say that such types of questions are less emphasized compared to critical-thinking-type questions, and I would probably concede that. However, one discrete can be a point on BS, so I think it depends on where you are in your scoring range.

But whatever, everyone can make their own decision on what they feel is important to study. Personally, it's very little effort for me to commit discrete facts to memory, so I plan on memorizing every detail I think could be relevant.

Well, I promised you all I would make this, and it's finally done!

GTLO's Guide to Visual Image Processing

Disclaimer: The AAMC Biological Sciences Content Outline is not any more specific than "visual image processing" when denoting this aspect of the visual system as testable content. Therefore, I have had to make my own determination of what I think the AAMC would expect a prepared test taker to know. I have made this determination based on the AAMC's assertion that the requisite science knowledge is not beyond the scope of introductory-course-level material. I have presented here more information than I believe we need to know, and emphasized what I feel the AAMC would consider requisite knowledge vs. background knowledge. If anyone would like further explanation of particular topics, let me know and I will be happy to oblige. In compiling this information I have consulted my notes and lecture materials from two courses that covered the visual system (and for the record I got high A's in both courses): one course on sensation and perception, and another on neuroscience. Both instructors are PhD faculty, and both conduct research either directly on or related to the visual system, so I assume their information to be accurate. Further, I have consulted external sources on any issue I was not comfortable simplifying while maintaining accuracy. I do not anticipate any problems with the validity of this information, especially given the level of mastery needed for the MCAT.

Preface: Herein I have presented significantly more information than I believe would be considered testable knowledge, some for context and some because I find it interesting and hope intrigue may solidify memory in others as it does for me. I have italicized information I explicitly present as non-requisite background knowledge, and included a TL;DR at the end of the post, stating exactly what I think you should know.

Visual Image Processing!

This is a wide area to consider, but several key aspects of sight lend themselves to effective understanding at an MCAT level, while others exclude themselves by virtue of excessive complexity and scope. I will consider mainly 1) the visual encoding of color and 2) the representation of the visual image in the brain at a cortical level.

Vision Fundamentals

To begin, let's address basic knowledge you should have about the eye, both for the MCAT and to provide a foundation for understanding this post. You should know that the retina is the sensory region of the eye, and that it contains a number of different types of specialized neurons, most importantly to us the photoreceptors and ganglion cells.* Photoreceptors are sensory neurons containing photopigment molecules, which react to light to effect transduction of a neural signal. Photoreceptors are classified as either rods or cones, rods not exhibiting differentiation based on the wavelength of incident light, and cones exhibiting differentiation based on the wavelength of incident light. You should know that the distribution of rods and cones across the retina is not even; the fovea (the center-point of the retina, where the image of something you're looking directly at is focused) is composed entirely of cones in high density, while the remainder of the retina contains more rods than cones (and rods greatly outnumber cones overall). Ganglion cells are interneurons that ultimately receive the signals initiated by the photoreceptors, and conduct them down their long axons, which group together to the form the optic nerve, and exit the orbit to project into the brain.

As a note about the fovea in particular, the high density of cones coupled with the particular arrangement of neural circuits in the foveal retina gives us very high (and greatest) acuity of vision there as opposed to the peripheral retina. This is partly why it's hard to read using your peripheral vision.

*There are actually five types of neurons in the retina, but I seriously can't imagine differentiating between horizontal and amacrine cells would be expected, even though EK Bio does minimally present them labeled in a figure. Such a discrete would be borderline obscene. If you really want to know, either ask me or Google it.

Color

Rod photoreceptors can be left out of the discussion of color, because they respond equally to all wavelengths of light. Rods can all be considered identical. Cones, on the other hand, come in three types. All three types are responsive to all wavelengths of light, but each type has a characteristic response curve, with maximal response centered around a particular wavelength. These wavelengths of maximum response correspond to red, green, and blue light. The cones are thus named S, M, and L cones based on the wavelength they respond maximally to (small wavelength = blue, etc.), and they actually contain different photopigment molecules.

Perception of color, and thus the formation of accurate cortical representations of color, can be described by the contributions of multiple valid perspectives. It's highly unlikely you will need to know the names and features of these theories, but the concepts are simple, so I've presented them here for context. The important thing to recognize is that color encoding is complex.

- Trichromatic Color Theory describes the encoding of color as the net sum of differential contributions of S, M, and L cones to facilitate the representation of individual, distinct colors in the visual image.
- Opponent-Process Theory: Though the cones respond differently to the same wavelength of light, the ganglion cells also respond differently to the signals they produce. Different ganglion cells respond to different assortments of color information from the cones; ganglion cells respond preferentially to particular color pairs and differently between the colors in the pair. The result is antagonism at the level of the ganglion cell signal between red-green and blue-yellow signal pairs. (See for yourself! Color afterimages correspond to the opponent pairs of colors; stare at a blue image for a while and then look at a white background, you'll see a yellow image).

3s44x0.jpg

It turns out that simply encoding information about light wavelength isn't enough to produce the visual image we consciously see. There is a component of so-called "top-down" processing, where information from higher levels of processing influences the encoding of information at lower levels, in the case of color perception.

- Retinex Theory: Information from regions of the cortex involved in processing visual stimuli is actually involved in the representation of something as presumably simple as color (Color constancy is a good example of the function of this top-down information flow; we don't perceive colors to change even when the distribution of wavelengths reflected from them does as a result of changing ambient light sources, e.g. walking from sunlight outside into a room lit by yellow incandescent light.)

Neural Pathways

A fundamental characteristic of vision is the division of sensory information into hemifields, and division between hemispheres of the brain. Put simply, each hemisphere of the brain receives visual information from each eye, but only from half of each retina. The fibers from each retinal hemifield cross (the proper term is decussate) at the optic chiasm, an X-shaped intersection of the optic nerves where the fibers cross. Each half of the brain processes one half of the visual field.

From the eye, there are actually four distinct paths the optic nerve fibers can take, leading to different parts of the brain and serving different functions. (For example, the retinohypothalamic pathway conducts visual sensory information into the suprachiasmatic nucleus of the hypothalamus, and influences the modulation of circadian rhythms; this is how staring at a computer screen for hours in the night affects the ease with which you can go to sleep afterward.) We are only concerned with the major pathway, which most fibers (and thus signals) follow, the one which actually leads to formation of visual perceptions.

Formally called the retinogeniculostriate pathway, most optic nerve fibers project into the thalamus (specifically the lateral geniculate nucleus (LGN)), and from there the signal continues into the primary visual cortex, also called V1, in the cerebral cortex of the occipital lobe of the brain. Substantial processing of visual features occurs in V1; neurons combine inputs from each eye, and are specialized to respond to particular orientations, movement directions, and colors of visual stimuli.

Primary Visual Cortex (V1)

Characteristics of V1 are exceedingly complex, but there are two very simply, very important concepts that are worth remembering. The first is called retinotopy. The primary visual cortex, and in fact also the LGN in the thalamus, which first receives the retinogeniculostriate signals before V1, organizes processing of visual information in the manner of a retinotopic map. This is to say that the neurons in V1 actually process information from corresponding parts of the retina, such that the retina could be stretched out over V1 to approximate the areas where overlaid retinal cells initiate the signals. In particular, the most posterior end of V1 processes foveal information, and the processed signals originate further outward from the foveal into the peripheral retina as you move anteriorly along V1. That may be hard to visualize, so it can be simplified to this: the signals produced by adjacent retinal cells are processed by adjacent V1 neurons.

The second important characteristic is called the cortical magnification factor. Put simply, the brain devotes a much larger portion of the neurons in V1 to processing information from the fovea than the rest of the retina. This is nice, because things we are looking directly toward get more brain processing power devoted to them, and we can more finely sense specific visual features of things in our direct field of view.

Higher Processing

From V1, visual information flows along two different pathways that mediate more advanced processing of visual features. In the ventral pathway (or "what" pathway), visual information flows from V1 into regions of the temporal lobe cortex, where visual objects are identified. Highly specialized areas, and even individual neurons, in the inferotemporal cortex respond to particular stimuli, such as faces. In the dorsal pathway (or "where" pathway), visual information flows from V1 into regions of the parietal and and to some extent temporal lobes, where object location, motion tracking, and visually guided movement are processed.

It is the advanced processing of visual features at these higher cortical levels that enables us to make sense of the visual stimuli we are constantly bombarded with, the countless photons continually creating a stream of chaotic neural signals from our retinas.

Conclusion

I've presented a lot of information here, much more than I would ever expect even a difficult discrete to require you to know, so following is a TL;DR.

TL;DR

Vision Fundamentals: Just know everything in this section.

Color:
- Cones all respond to all colors, but not equally; three types of cones = roughly "RGB" encoding
- That's not enough though, color encoding is very complex, and involves discrimination and integration of different signals at the level of both the photoreceptors themselves, and the ganglion cells. Our perception of color even depends on higher-level input beyond what the eye sees.

Neural Pathways:
- Halves of the brain process different halves of the visual field. This is facilitated by optic nerve fibers crossing over at the optic chiasm.
- The great majority of retinal signals make their way to the primary visual cortex (V1) in the occipital lobe cerebral cortex, and this is where the first real processing occurs.

Primary Visual Cortex (V1):
- V1 is organized into a retinotopic map; signals produced by adjacent retinal neurons are processed by adjacent V1 neurons. You can actually map the retina onto V1 and see where particular signals end up.
- V1 exhibits a cortical magnification factor: a great deal more V1 area and power is devoted to processing information from the fovea than the peripheral vision. This helps focus the visual information to what's most important (i.e. what we're directly looking at).

Higher Processing:
- Advanced image processing occurs beyond V1, in the parietal and temporal lobes.
- The two main pathways can be thought of as separately processing what we're seeing (identifying visual objects) and what we're seeing happening (object motion and related features).

As I said, feel free to ask whatever questions for clarification. Commentary is also welcome!

The frequency with which people report having exceedingly specific, obscure discretes on BS seems to contradict this line of thought quite strongly. I don't think I need to remind anyone that one tester's experience on a single exam form is not necessarily representative of the exam as a whole. One could also counter my point and say that such types of questions are less emphasized compared to critical-thinking-type questions, and I would probably concede that. However, one discrete can be a point on BS, so I think it depends on where you are in your scoring range.

But whatever, everyone can make their own decision on what they feel is important to study. Personally, it's very little effort for me to commit discrete facts to memory, so I plan on memorizing every detail I think could be relevant.

:thumbup:

I've been following the same logic. I can't imagine a BS test where no details are ever needed for biology passages or discretes. Doesn't make any sense. I've been memorizing essentially everything that I can, but of course, not at the expense of practicing critical thinking skills.

Now do I dare read that long visual image processing post?

I agree reviewing some of these specific details and topics that come up in the BR Bio passages is important, but I don't think reading the BR Content in its entirety is totally necessary. EK gives you a good foundation to start from, then BR Passages test your comfort level.

I found myself getting really discouraged at first with the EK/BR Bio combo, but then I realized everyone else was too. As a Biology major I though for sure it would be my easiest subject to review and test on, and it was demoralizing when I was reading questions and having absolutely no idea what they were asking - knowing they must be assuming that I knew something I didn't. When I reviewed these passages later, I took notes on the little facts that had been required to answer the question correctly (some of these topics will come up later on in the schedule, so don't feel like you have to research them all right now). Also, a lot of times after reading the tidbit offered in the solutions, I would recall the information from my classes or previous studies.

I've decided that instead of getting frustrated by these questions, it's better to attack them with critical thinking and what little knowledge I can recall on the subject, knowing I'll have the opportunity to review them later. You are not always going to know what the passages on the MCAT are talking about. Sometimes they throw in crazy topics and questions to intimidate or scare you. Eliminate as many wrong answers as possible; dissect the answers using some of the testing tips and strategies offered in the resources (i.e. Answers that basically state the same thing are both usually wrong, answers that don't make any sense but use vocab from passage are wrong, etc.). Build up your comfort level towards seemingly unfamiliar topics and treat these passages the same as any other. That way when you see something strange on test day, you won't freeze or panic.

I agree reviewing some of these specific details and topics that come up in the BR Bio passages is important, but I don't think reading the BR Content in its entirety is totally necessary. EK gives you a good foundation to start from, then BR Passages test your comfort level.

I found myself getting really discouraged at first with the EK/BR Bio combo, but then I realized everyone else was too. As a Biology major I though for sure it would be my easiest subject to review and test on, and it was demoralizing when I was reading questions and having absolutely no idea what they were asking - knowing they must be assuming that I knew something I didn't. When I reviewed these passages later, I took notes on the little facts that had been required to answer the question correctly (some of these topics will come up later on in the schedule, so don't feel like you have to research them all right now). Also, a lot of times after reading the tidbit offered in the solutions, I would recall the information from my classes or previous studies.

I've decided that instead of getting frustrated by these questions, it's better to attack them with critical thinking and what little knowledge I can recall on the subject, knowing I'll have the opportunity to review them later. You are not always going to know what the passages on the MCAT are talking about. Sometimes they throw in crazy topics and questions to intimidate or scare you. Eliminate as many wrong answers as possible; dissect the answers using some of the testing tips and strategies offered in the resources (i.e. Answers that basically state the same thing are both usually wrong, answers that don't make any sense but use vocab from passage are wrong, etc.). Build up your comfort level towards seemingly unfamiliar topics and treat these passages the same as any other. That way when you see something strange on test day, you won't freeze or panic.

Ditto. Boom. Well-said

How would I match the EK Bio materials with the BR ones?

For example, I read BR Biology Chapter 1, and then when I went to the 30-minute in-class exam in the EK Bio book on the 6th day, the topics didn't match up....

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it better to go with the detailed approach and use BR Biology instead of EK?

I read a chapter of BR Bio along with 1/3 of its corresponding passages. Needless to say, I'm wrecked:scared:

It goes into a lot of unnecessary detail but I think it helps me do better in the BR passages.
EK Bio's chapter readings seem to be on the easy side and relying on them could make me score lower on BR's passages......

What do u think?

That's the one thing I don't like about studying at Cafes. There's always a chance of some super annoying people that are completely allowed to be there :p

Libraries :thumbup:

My problem with school libraries is there's always that one person who decides that they can eat a bag of chips or, I kid you not, some very squeaky almonds. That was the day I looked at my friend and we both just burst out laughing because of how ridiculous the sound of squeaky almonds was.

Day 2 and I'm already getting rocked :(

ANY tips on Stoich? Br GChem Ch1? What would be the best way to train Gchem Stoich so no matter what is thrown/twisted at me regarding mass percent, mass percent in solution, molarity, molality, the relationship with density, I have a solid sense of what to do (steps to take, etc.)?

Should I grind EK 1001 stoich over and over? Redo the BR Ch1 GChem Stoich passages till I get it? Supplement with discretes found on the web?

Any help would be much appreciated. Just feeling kind of owned by today. :mad: Thanks

What has everyone been doing for reviewing passages the day after? I don't really know what to do besides look at the answers and I think I'm developing a bad habit of just checking answers and moving on.

What has everyone been doing for reviewing passages the day after? I don't really know what to do besides look at the answers and I think I'm developing a bad habit of just checking answers and moving on.

I actually re-do the passage. I look at each question fresh and see if the answer I would give now matches the one I gave the first time. It takes very little time because I recognize all the questions and the passage material. Then I check the answers and read explanations for one's I'm not absolutely certain about or ones I missed.

Thank you GTLO!!! I just noticed you put up a GTLO Guide to Visual Image Processing. Super comprehensive. :) Now to make sure I actually remember this theories.... a couple of them are familiar.

Horizontal, amacrine, bipolar, ganglion, and I forgot that last one............. :

I know this had been discussed at great lengths before and I have searched but looking for more opinions/fresh ideas. I am doing the SN2 schedule and am on Day 11 for the 9/12 test. This is a retake and I already completed all AAMC 3-11, however I never reviewed my answers( I know stupid) but was wondering if because I do not know what is right or wrong if I could reuse them. Should I also look into BR or TPR FL's?

I also have access to all Kaplan Subject, Section, Topic test and all TPRH SW passages. In addition, I will be purchasing the AAMC Self-Assessment Package. This time around I have no job/school commitments and sometimes I have been putting in 12 hr. study days to stay/get ahead of schedule. Any idea of the best way to incorporate and make use of all these materials when following the SN2 plan?

Thank you GTLO!!! I just noticed you put up a GTLO Guide to Visual Image Processing. Super comprehensive. :) Now to make sure I actually remember this theories.... a couple of them are familiar.

Horizontal, amacrine, bipolar, ganglion, and I forgot that last one............. :

Like I said, I really don't think you need to know the types of retinal cells beyond photoreceptors and gangion cells (and MAYBE bipolar). Horizontal and amacrine cells are involved in lateral inhibition, which I would guess is too advanced for the MCAT. Also, you don't necessarily need to memorize the theories and their characteristics, but familiarity with the concepts is probably good and not hard. Glad you like the guide!

I do anything I wasn't completely sure about over again before grading it. But of course I don't change my answer for when I timed myself. Also, after I grade, I do my best to actually learn what the passage is teaching. Some passages give new information on things that we have basic information for (especially bio passages). Understanding this new information can make it easier to make inferences down the line because it just means you know even more about the material.

Takes a little extra time though.

How are u guys usually scoring on the BR passages?

I'm basically getting grilled on some of them. (Like geting 50-60%), especially the Bio ones.
Is this normal for the first week?

Should I just correct what I'm doing wrong and go from there?
I also ended up missing a day or two, so I think I might have to double up to catch up again

How are u guys usually scoring on the BR passages?

I'm basically getting grilled on some of them. (Like geting 50-60%), especially the Bio ones.
Is this normal for the first week?

Should I just correct what I'm doing wrong and go from there?
I also ended up missing a day or two, so I think I might have to double up to catch up again
That is normal for TBR Bio, BUT do not let that discourage you from trying to score higher. Although you may not be familiar with everything in the TBR passages, read them carefully and relate them to relevant content you have read in EK. Think the questions out as well as you can without taking up too much time to give your absolute best guess on the questions you don't know. Strive to make improvements in your scores from chapter to chapter. If you see something in TBR that you don't know - look it up and add it to your notes (unless it seems extraneous, use your best judgement on this one). Review ALL the questions you do and reflect on the thought process you used when answering each question. Take note of types of problems that you particularly struggle on, and review accordingly.
Basically what I'm saying is that although TBR Bio passages are very difficult, do not use that as an excuse to put less effort forth as you work through them. Strive to improve every single time you do a passage, and you WILL see improvements in your scores.

I know this had been discussed at great lengths before and I have searched but looking for more opinions/fresh ideas. I am doing the SN2 schedule and am on Day 11 for the 9/12 test. This is a retake and I already completed all AAMC 3-11, however I never reviewed my answers( I know stupid) but was wondering if because I do not know what is right or wrong if I could reuse them. Should I also look into BR or TPR FL's?

I also have access to all Kaplan Subject, Section, Topic test and all TPRH SW passages. In addition, I will be purchasing the AAMC Self-Assessment Package. This time around I have no job/school commitments and sometimes I have been putting in 12 hr. study days to stay/get ahead of schedule. Any idea of the best way to incorporate and make use of all these materials when following the SN2 plan?

Bump..anyone care to share some insight? Thanks

I definitely think you should use BR and TPR FL's. Partially because you already did the AAMC's and need more tests, but also I hear they're really good. And of course, more tests can only help.

I don't know how much it would help to redo the AAMCs honestly. You've already seen the questions, albeit it a while ago, and even though you didn't correct them, you still lose that initial "shock" of being given something that you haven't seen before. But I can also see the value in retaking them if you have the time. I'd condense the Sn2ed schedule so you can definitely fit BR and PR tests in though.

And buy that AAMC extra package with the 140 or so questions.

Thanks Synapsis. I know SN2 recommends BR full lengths as a 2nd option so I may do that first, the AAMC Self-Assessment Package second, and then redo AAMC 3-11 FLs as a reinforcer/confidence booster. Maybe after my entire content review I can look to do all of the TPRH SW passages and Kaplan Section/Topic/Subject in addition to the final 1/3 BR passages.

Mixed feelings this week, got 54% on yesterdays BR Bio passages and a 12 on today's verbal lol. Is it just me or was EK 101's 3rd verbal test too easy? It seemed like it had a lot of detail oriented questions with answers you can find in the passage.

Make sure you don't burn out..12 hours a day is a lot. Especially for 3 months!

Dear poster on Day2,
Keep going. I didn't time myself well and for some poorly managed distractions and such, got myself WAY WAY behind on schedule. Just don't worry, keep breathing...the schedule will get better i promise!!

From BR Thermochemistry section: "Holy smokes Batman! It's choice B again!"

I love this book.

Hey guys,

I am currently reviewing my 2/3 passages for General Chemistry Chapter IV (Acids and Bases). In the answer key for Passage II Question 11, the explanation doesn't make sense.

Can anyone help explain why the answer is not D and is B?

Hey guys,

I am currently reviewing my 2/3 passages for General Chemistry Chapter IV (Acids and Bases). In the answer key for Passage II Question 11, the explanation doesn't make sense.

Can anyone help explain why the answer is not D and is B?

The question is asking for the statement that is NOT true. Choice D says that the solution in Trial 1 is more electrolytic than the solution in Trial 2. Since the experiment is measuring the electrical conductivity, and therefore the electrolytic nature, of different acids, we can simply look at Table 1 and see that the Trial 1 solution did indeed conduct more current than the Trial 2 solution. Thus, the statement is true, and cannot be the correct answer. Additionally, the compound that dissociates more in solution is more electrolytic, and HCl undergoes ~100% dissociation in Trial 1, while HClO undergoes less than 1% dissociation in Trial 2.

Choice B is correct because freezing point is a colligative property, where the magnitude of freezing point depression (the extent to which the freezing point is lowered due to the presence of solute) is directly proportional to the number of solute particles in solution. In Trial 1, HCl dissolves completely, so 0.10 M HCl yields a 0.20 OsM solution. In Trial 2, with very little dissociation, the 0.10 M HClO solution is approximately 0.10 OsM. Greater osmolarity means greater freezing point depression, so the Trial 1 solution would have a lower freezing point than that in Trial 2, thus the statement is not true and B is the answer.

The question is asking for the statement that is NOT true. Choice D says that the solution in Trial 1 is more electrolytic than the solution in Trial 2. Since the experiment is measuring the electrical conductivity, and therefore the electrolytic nature, of different acids, we can simply look at Table 1 and see that the Trial 1 solution did indeed conduct more current than the Trial 2 solution. Thus, the statement is true, and cannot be the correct answer. Additionally, the compound that dissociates more in solution is more electrolytic, and HCl undergoes ~100% dissociation in Trial 1, while HClO undergoes less than 1% dissociation in Trial 2.

Choice B is correct because freezing point is a colligative property, where the magnitude of freezing point depression (the extent to which the freezing point is lowered due to the presence of solute) is directly proportional to the number of solute particles in solution. In Trial 1, HCl dissolves completely, so 0.10 M HCl yields a 0.20 OsM solution. In Trial 2, with very little dissociation, the 0.10 M HClO solution is approximately 0.10 OsM. Greater osmolarity means greater freezing point depression, so the Trial 1 solution would have a lower freezing point than that in Trial 2, thus the statement is not true and B is the answer.

Thanks for the clarification.

Hi everyone,

Can someone please help me with understanding this one GenChem problem? I am on Gen Chem Book 1, Passage IV, on pg. 204. On question 25, I am having a hard time understanding how we are able to deduce that the initial concentration of CS2 is 0.2 atm? I know that the reactant ratio in the equation says that CS2 is 1/4 of H2.

However, the passage was unclear (or maybe I'm just not comprehending). It says that "flask 1 is filled with 1.0 atm CS2), and thus I thought that was the initial concentration....

Thanks for all your help!

hope you guys are doing well.. im 2 weeks behind -_-

I am a week behind. Had to take a two day trip that I could not avoid which pissed me off. When are you writing and what adjustments will you make incase you can not finish ?

hope you guys are doing well.. im 2 weeks behind -_-

Yep, me too! :scared:...and on top of that, now I have the flu, so I can't get my brain into "study mode", so now I'm just getting more and more behind...all I wanna do is sleep :uhno:

If I can't get caught up in the next week, I'm going to cut back on sleep :scared: and start doing only half of the EK 1001 questions...we'll see where that gets me. I have to use my "break days" for working and volunteering in the ER, so I can't catch up by studying on break days like some people can :(

**Test date is Sept 11***
**Following the 3 month schedule***
I need to talk to someone esp. who knows with the SN2ed.

I started on May 8th and on June 8th, I am still on Day 6! OMG, yikes. How did this happen?! I took some time off, got silly distractions, did'nt organize my calender well. Now, I have the calender including test date posted on the wall and I can see all the dates and how much time I really have, very clearly.

I had planned to finish the whole 90 day schedule by August 12 to have time for TBRs.

Option 1: Try to catch up 20 days of work really fast, somehow so I can be done with ~. Day 60 by ~July 12. Use July 12-August 12 to do AAMCs ie. Day 60-Day 95. and then August 12-Sept11: for TBR tests and some review

Option 2:
Finish by SN2ed Date 60 by July 30th and then use August 1 - sept 11 to do Day 60 - day 95 in august (where we do AAMC tests)?. I wouldn't do TBR tests additionally.

Advice IS appreciated.

After writing this, I realize that if there's only like about 15 days or 2 weeks of difference, then I might as well work hard and get this done and take it seriously.

**Test date is Sept 11***
**Following the 3 month schedule***
I need to talk to someone esp. who knows with the SN2ed.

I started on May 8th and on June 8th, I am still on Day 6! OMG, yikes. How did this happen?! I took some time off, got silly distractions, did'nt organize my calender well. Now, I have the calender including test date posted on the wall and I can see all the dates and how much time I really have, very clearly.

I had planned to finish the whole 90 day schedule by August 12 to have time for TBRs.

Option 1: Try to catch up 20 days of work really fast, somehow so I can be done with ~. Day 60 by ~July 12. Use July 12-August 12 to do AAMCs ie. Day 60-Day 95. and then August 12-Sept11: for TBR tests and some review

Option 2:
Finish by SN2ed Date 60 by July 30th and then use August 1 - sept 11 to do Day 60 - day 95 in august (where we do AAMC tests)?. I wouldn't do TBR tests additionally.

Advice IS appreciated.

After writing this, I realize that if there's only like about 15 days or 2 weeks of difference, then I might as well work hard and get this done and take it seriously.

Definitely possible. About two weeks ago, I decided to condense it to start doing 2 chapters a day so I could get a lot of practice tests in. It worked out well because I'm free for near all of the day. I think you (and others who are behind) might benefit from this. Maybe you can go preview the chapters for different subjects and find chapters that you're especially good with. If you find, for example, that Bio Ch.5 is stuff that you have near mastered, then lump 6 on the same day. If you can do that multiple times for multiple subjects, you'll be caught up in no time. But beware missing information and rushing. Also notice that when you do two chapters a day, your Phase II days actually become full days of work and you have to be really efficient.

Hopefully this can help you get back on track!

Last edited:
Yep, me too! :scared:...and on top of that, now I have the flu, so I can't get my brain into "study mode", so now I'm just getting more and more behind...all I wanna do is sleep :uhno:

If I can't get caught up in the next week, I'm going to cut back on sleep :scared: and start doing only half of the EK 1001 questions...we'll see where that gets me. I have to use my "break days" for working and volunteering in the ER, so I can't catch up by studying on break days like some people can :(

i know time flies!! i decided to take a little time off after my semester ended and a month passed lol.

I am a week behind. Had to take a two day trip that I could not avoid which pissed me off. When are you writing and what adjustments will you make incase you can not finish ?

i am scheduled for august 28th.. which i doubt ill make now since i have 76 days until that date and im on day 2 lol. ill try to do 2 chapters a day for easier chapters and see where it gets me.

worst case scenario ill cough up some $$$ and reschedule for september. i cant fall behind anymore!

Quick question regarding data analysis questions on the MCAT. Do we have to consider statistical significance when we read data tables? I chose the wrong answer (according to TBR) a couple times because I considered few values to be indifferent due to the lack of statistical significance (e.g. I consider 4.27 +- 1.08 vs. 3.86 +- 1.01 to be indifferent).

So...what do I do if I run into similar questions on the actual MCAT? Please share your insight with me!

Thanks in advance.

Lol an orgo question (Ex. 7.11) in TBR has a typo in an answer choice making all answers false.

I wonder why these test prep books all have so many typos.

So...what do I do if I run into similar questions on the actual MCAT? Please share your insight with me!
What section was it in? If it was an experimental passage, I would definitely consider statistical statistical error. Although, I'm not sure where else you would see that...

It's pretty simple. Say you had two data points: 16±4 and 10±2. You must consider the extremes. 16 - 4 = 12 and 10 + 2 = 12. You should consider any conclusions based upon those data points to be, if nothing else, fishy.

Your example is much more concerning. 4.27 and 3.86 are already very close to each other. With those values and error ranges of ±1, no conclusions based upon those data points should be considered definite. If you wanted to extrapolate, you might be able to infer a range of possibilities based upon that data.

Hi everyone,

Can someone please help me with understanding this one GenChem problem? I am on Gen Chem Book 1, Passage IV, on pg. 204. On question 25, I am having a hard time understanding how we are able to deduce that the initial concentration of CS2 is 0.2 atm? I know that the reactant ratio in the equation says that CS2 is 1/4 of H2.

However, the passage was unclear (or maybe I'm just not comprehending). It says that "flask 1 is filled with 1.0 atm CS2), and thus I thought that was the initial concentration....

Thanks for all your help!
I'm curious about this question as well. I thought CS2 had initially 1 atm, and H2 1 atm but the solution said otherwise & the passage was pretty obscure/worded weird.

I'm finding the Princeton Verbal Hyperlearning super difficult. Actually, I think I'm finding everything difficult. I'm trying so hard to stay confident and optimistic, but it's not working.

I've been seeing a downward trend in physics for some reason. I'm on Day 27 now and for some odd reason I did well in physics at my university but some of the passages I'm just not understanding. Any advice?