SMP vs DIY post bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nmsIA

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated college in 2019. My sgpa is 3.43 and cgpa is 3.45. However, I have an extreme downward trend (the last two years of my college) which basically brought down my gpa. (I went from getting straight A’s the first 3 years to mostly B’s and 2-3 C’C my last 2 years). I also have a student misconduct in 2018( I cited the author in the essay but forgot to cite him on my citation page and was reported for plagiarism). I have about 800+ hours of research but no publication and 1500+ hours of clinical experience. I know I need to increase my gpa but I am having a hard time deciding between a DIY postbac and an SMP. I have already taken way too many units as an undergraduate so if I do a DIY postbac for a year I don’t think it’ll make a huge difference in my gpa. But I would like to get some advise/opinion on what should I do?

@Goro @Catalystik @LizzyM

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I graduated college in 2019. My sgpa is 3.43 and cgpa is 3.45. However, I have an extreme downward trend (the last two years of my college) which basically brought down my gpa. (I went from getting straight A’s the first 3 years to mostly B’s and 2-3 C’C my last 2 years). I also have a student misconduct in 2018( I cited the author in the essay but forgot to cite him on my citation page and was reported for plagiarism). I have about 800+ hours of research but no publication and 1500+ hours of clinical experience. I know I need to increase my gpa but I am having a hard time deciding between a DIY postbac and an SMP. I have already taken way too many units as an undergraduate so if I do a DIY postbac for a year I don’t think it’ll make a huge difference in my gpa. But I would like to get some advise/opinion on what should I do?

@Goro @Catalystik @LizzyM

You can do a DIY postbac if you think you can get about 2 years/4-6 semesters of upper division science credits in at a local university. An excellent performance in a DIY postbac won't move your GPA much, but many medical schools will give more weight to recent credits. It's a reasonable option for someone in your position. You will, of course, be expected to earn all As to demonstrate reinvention.

An SMP would be a more efficient route to medical school for you (and they often come with added advantages like built-in MCAT prep), but these are extremely difficult by design. SMP students need to be very self-motivated and have excellent study habits in order to succeed. A poor showing in an SMP could permanently close the door on medical school.

How have you addressed your academic deficiencies which led to the downward trend in the first place?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You can do a DIY postbac if you think you can get about 2 years/4-6 semesters of upper division science credits in at a local university. An excellent performance in a DIY postbac won't move your GPA much, but many medical schools will give more weight to recent credits. It's a reasonable option for someone in your position. You will, of course, be expected to earn all As to demonstrate reinvention.

An SMP would be a more efficient route to medical school for you (and they often come with added advantages like built-in MCAT prep), but these are extremely difficult by design. SMP students need to be very self-motivated and have excellent study habits in order to succeed. A poor showing in an SMP could permanently close the door on medical school.

How have you addressed your academic deficiencies which led to the downward trend in the first place?
Hey.

It was completely my fault. I had a hard time maintaining a balance between personal and academic life. I had to travel a lot to be able to help my mother to translate and find a new home after my parents separation. I have learned to ask for help when needed, and also taken steps to better my mental health. As for studying habits I have always been someone who studied in advance but during my personal life circumstances I just let school come secondary. Which obviously I have now learned (the hard way) to never do again but rather maintain a somewhat healthy balance between the two.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey.

It was completely my fault. I had a hard time maintaining a balance between personal and academic life. I had to travel a lot to be able to help my mother to translate and find a new home after my parents separation. I have learned to ask for help when needed, and also taken steps to better my mental health. As for studying habits I have always been someone who studied in advance but during my personal life circumstances I just let school come secondary. Which obviously I have now learned (the hard way) to never do again but rather maintain a somewhat healthy balance between the two.

If you are 100% confident that you've improved your study habits and can handle the rigors of an SMP, then I think SMP (try to find one with linkage) is the way to go. The SMP threads in the Nontraditional Students and Postbaccalaureate forums are good places to start your research.

In addition to a strong performance in your postbac, you will also need a stellar application in terms of MCAT, ECs, and essays. You should also be prepared to apply as broadly as possible.

Reactions: 1 users
If you are 100% confident that you've improved your study habits and can handle the rigors of an SMP, then I think SMP (try to find one with linkage) is the way to go. The SMP threads in the Nontraditional Students and Postbaccalaureate forums are good places to start your research.

In addition to a strong performance in your postbac, you will also need a stellar application in terms of MCAT, ECs, and essays. You should also be prepared to apply as broadly as possible.
Thank you for such insightful advise! I plan on taking the MCAT after the SMP. I have been accepted to Tufts MBS program and BU MAMS program so far. I would like to think that I have decent EC’s but I’m not too sure now.

Thank you for such insightful advise! I plan on taking the MCAT after the SMP. I have been accepted to Tufts MBS program and BU MAMS program so far. I would like to think that I have decent EC’s but I’m not too sure now.

You have great clinical experience and research. What do you have in the way of nonclinical community service?

You have great clinical experience and research. What do you have in the way of nonclinical community service?
I am not sure if Crisis Text Line counts towards non clinical community service but I have around 50 hours right now and should have more by the time I apply. And then I have around 200+ hours as a mentor to foster children.

Crisis text line can definitely go in the nonclinical bucket, as will your mentoring hours. If you want to further optimize your nonclinical community service before you apply, try to find some in-person service activities. Crisis text line work is important and valid, but you'll occasionally find an adcom that's a little iffy about remote volunteering. Your ECs look good overall.

Crisis text line can definitely go in the nonclinical bucket, as will your mentoring hours. If you want to further optimize your nonclinical community service before you apply, try to find some in-person service activities. Crisis text line work is important and valid, but you'll occasionally find an adcom that's a little iffy about remote volunteering. Your ECs look good overall.
Thank you so much. I’ll definitely look for some in person non-clinical volunteering opportunities.

Hey. I had a follow up question. I love dogs so I volunteer to walk my community dogs once a week (or more if I have time). I also teach English to underprivileged children in India. Would these two count as non-clinical? The teaching one is online so I’ll definitely look for an activity that is in person as well.

Hey. I had a follow up question. I love dogs so I volunteer to walk my community dogs once a week (or more if I have time). I also teach English to underprivileged children in India. Would these two count as non-clinical? The teaching one is online so I’ll definitely look for an activity that is in person as well.
Sure but they are not community service. Walking dogs aren't as "in-person" as what we would prefer.

Last edited:
Sure but they are not community service. Walking dogs aren't as "in-person " as what we would prefer.
Thank you! If possible can you please suggest some community service activities that I should be looking into?

Thank you! If possible can you please suggest some community service activities that I should be looking into?
In general, opportunities where you are directly working with populations in need and addressing other social determinants aside from just their individual health. Food shelters/pantries, shelters for those who may be victims of violence (refugee, domestic, LGBTQ, homeless), getting housing or jobs for the incarcerated or newly released, helping to install air conditioners for apartments of low-income families, thrift shops for non-profit organizations, etc. Things that can take you out of your comfort zone such that you are more in a position to learn from the people you are with rather than having those around you learn from you. @LizzyM likes to state that if you can smell a patient in a clinical setting, it's more likely the experience is clinical; a similar argument holds for community service.

In general, opportunities where you are directly working with populations in need and addressing other social determinants aside from just their individual health. Food shelters/pantries, shelters for those who may be victims of violence (refugee, domestic, LGBTQ, homeless), getting housing or jobs for the incarcerated or newly released, helping to install air conditioners for apartments of low-income families, thrift shops for non-profit organizations, etc. Things that can take you out of your comfort zone such that you are more in a position to learn from the people you are with rather than having those around you learn from you. @LizzyM likes to state that if you can smell a patient in a clinical setting, it's more likely the experience is clinical; a similar argument holds for community service.
Thank you so much. I’ll definitely start looking for more in person community volunteering opportunities.