SMP, retakes or Caribbean? Please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The_Cleaner

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, so here's my situation in my early undergraduate I made some mistakes in general class's because I was facing some personal issues. So after that was dealt with I felt like was behind and needed to cram my classes to finish on time. I graduated with a cGPA of 2.90 and a sGPA of 3.5. I rushed the Mcat with about a month of studying time following graduation and got a 500. My advisor said I would not have a great chance if I applied, and I agreed so I did not apply. I applied to, and was accepted to the Geisinger Commonwealth's masters of medical science. However the the price is so high that I'm not sure if it's worth it. Retakes would be cheaper and easier, but do they really even prove or help that much? Then there's always the option of a Caribbean school which is my last option. I'm just not sure what to do and any advice would be a big help. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Harshness Alert!!!

Slow down! Your impulsivity is killing you...and will give adcoms the impression that you're immature. You keep making the same mistake of hurrying.

Cramming classes to finish on time got you what??? A crappy GPA, so in what world was that a good idea?

Rushing to take the MCAT when it should have been obvious that you'd end up with a lowish score. What possessed you to think that you were ready to take the MCAT?

You're not thinking straight. You knew you had a low GPA, yet you rushed to take the MCAT in hopes of applying this cycle? Please come down to planet earth.

Would you be borrowing for that masters program? If so, how much? How much debt to you already have? Does it have some sort of agreement with a med school for interviews, etc?

Do you have a good state school near your home where you can create your own postbacc?

Step away from the Caribbean.

Sorry for the big ole virtual slap across the internet, but my goodness, you need a wake up call.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, so here's my situation in my early undergraduate I made some mistakes in general class's because I was facing some personal issues. So after that was dealt with I felt like was behind and needed to cram my classes to finish on time. I graduated with a cGPA of 2.90 and a sGPA of 3.5. I rushed the Mcat with about a month of studying time following graduation and got a 500. My advisor said I would not have a great chance if I applied, and I agreed so I did not apply. I applied to, and was accepted to the Geisinger Commonwealth's masters of medical science. However the the price is so high that I'm not sure if it's worth it. Retakes would be cheaper and easier, but do they really even prove or help that much? Then there's always the option of a Caribbean school which is my last option. I'm just not sure what to do and any advice would be a big help. Thank you!
You are the typical mark that the Carib schools prey upon, and indeed, their business model is dependent upon your weakness. So, here's a good dope slap for you :

The point here isn't that there are successful Carib grads. The point is how many additional obstacles to success you face by going to a Carib school.

Quoting the wise gyngyn: The pool of US applicants from the Caribbean is viewed differently by Program Directors. The DDx for a Caribbean grad is pretty off-putting: bad judgment, bad advice, egotism, gullibility, overbearing parents, inability to delay gratification, IA's, legal problems, weak research skills, high risk behavior. This is not to say that all of them still have the quality that drew them into this situation. There is just no way to know which ones they are. Some PD's are in a position where they need to, or can afford to take risks too! So, some do get interviews.

Bad grades and scores are the least of the deficits from a PD's standpoint. A strong academic showing in a Caribbean medical school does not erase this stigma. It fact it increases the perception that the reason for the choice was on the above-mentioned list!

Just about everyone from a Caribbean school has one or more of these problems and PDs know it. That's why their grads are the last choice even with a high Step 1 score.

There was a time when folks whose only flaw was being a late bloomer went Carib, but those days are gone. There are a number of spots at US schools with grade replacement for these candidates.

It's likely you'll be in the bottom half or two thirds of the class that gets dismissed before Step 1. The business plan of a Carib school depends on the majority of the class not needing to be supported in clinical rotations. They literally can't place all 250+ of the starting class at clinical sites (educational malpractice, really. If this happened at a US school, they be shut down by LCME or COCA, and sued.

The Carib (and other offshore) schools have very tenuous, very expensive, very controversial relationships with a very small number of US clinical sites. You may think you can just ask to do your clinical rotations at a site near home. Nope. You may think you don't have to worry about this stuff. Wrong.

And let's say you get through med school in the Carib and get what you need out of the various clinical rotation scenarios. Then you are in the match gamble. I don't need to say a word about this - you can find everything you need to know at nrmp.org.

You really need to talk to people who made it through Carib into residency, and hear the story from them. How many people were in their class at the start, how many are in it now? How long did it take to get a residency, and how did they handle the gap year(s) and their student loans? How many residencies did they apply to, how many interviews did they get, and were any of the programs on their match list anything like what they wanted?

A little light reading:

Million $ Mistake

I graduated from Carib, ask me why you should stay away

The truth about Caribbean medical schools

Medical School at SGU

Cue the lucky Lotto winners who bucked the odds, survived the thresher, and now will come in stuttering about NRMP and try to affirm their risky but successful choices.

Reactions: 1 users
I appreciate all the advice, and agreed i did need that haha. When i took the mcat i thought that maybe it would support my low cGPA, however i rushed too much. So i applied to post bacc got accepted but with not alot of time to prepare. They do have an agreement for interviews "Graduates of the MBS program will be given an interview for the Doctorate of Medicine (MD) program at Geisinger Commonwealth if they are in the top 20% of the class (that equates to 13 students from the class of 2015), have a minimum 3.0 undergraduate science grade point average, scored a minimum of a 26 or 502 on the MCAT, and have submitted Letters of Recommendation (LoR) from Geisinger Commonwealth faculty supporting their candidacy".

The program tuition is 40K not including boarding fees. I would probably get a loan somewhere else, I just applied for FASFA this week. I do have a couple, but I'd have to wait for the next cycle of applications to make it in.
I really have no interest in carib schools, it was only a last option thing that i thought about.

I thought about retaking some of the non science course grades i needed to raise, but am unsure on how much it would actually help. I am not apposed to any medical school be DO or MD.

Is there a way i could send you something that would show it? I have a straight upward trend it was in my freshman and sophomore year i made mistakes. Since then i've improved dramatically, and have not had a dip in my GPA since. I felt it was hard recovering trying to squeeze in some classes to retake while trying to take the needed classes to graduate.