SMP Possibilities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AsianJames

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my current GPA is a 2.41, obviously bad, didn't take school seriously and some other personal things that I got sorted out. Last semester I got a 3.2, and this semester looks to be around a 3.65 while working full time as a CNA in an ICU. I'm currently a 5th year senior looking to graduate in December with the MCAT in August. At this point I know my undergrad GPA is only going to get so high with 124 hours already in. My current goal is to graduate in December with around a 2.65-2.7. I want to apply for SMP's and take classes that spring in anticipation of not getting into a program. If that occurs I plan on staying at my undergrad doing a DIY post bacc for a year however I think the max GPA I could get up to would be about a 2.85. I have 2-300 in shadowing and volunteering, with over 3000 in clinical hours from my job. My main question is assuming I do well on the MCAT what does that give me in terms of options? I'm open to DO as well, but my main goal right now is MD. I'm just unsure of best option available in my situation.

Members don't see this ad.

So my current GPA is a 2.41, obviously bad, didn't take school seriously and some other personal things that I got sorted out. Last semester I got a 3.2, and this semester looks to be around a 3.65 while working full time as a CNA in an ICU. I'm currently a 5th year senior looking to graduate in December with the MCAT in August. At this point I know my undergrad GPA is only going to get so high with 124 hours already in. My current goal is to graduate in December with around a 2.65-2.7. I want to apply for SMP's and take classes that spring in anticipation of not getting into a program. If that occurs I plan on staying at my undergrad doing a DIY post bacc for a year however I think the max GPA I could get up to would be about a 2.85. I have 2-300 in shadowing and volunteering, with over 3000 in clinical hours from my job. My main question is assuming I do well on the MCAT what does that give me in terms of options? I'm open to DO as well, but my main goal right now is MD. I'm just unsure of best option available in my situation.
read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Reactions: 1 users

Thank you! So do you think that 1-2 years of an informal DIY post bacc at around a 3.7GPA would still make me competitive for schools even with a >3.0 cGPA? Or would I then just be competitive for MD SMP programs? I've also looked into Wayne State and their post 20 hours GPA replacement.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! So do you think that 1-2 years of an informal DIY post bacc at around a 3.7GPA would still make me competitive for schools even with a >3.0 cGPA? Or would I then just be competitive for MD SMP programs? I've also looked into Wayne State and their post 20 hours GPA replacement.
Yes. The whole point of reinvention is to show that the you of now is not the you of then.

Reactions: 2 users