SMP or Post Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maraj34

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
URM: African-American
New York Resident

Overall GPA: 2.91
Science GPA: 2.64
B.S in Biology
Plan on taking the MCAT in September 2019

Clinical Volunteer Hours: 1000+ hours. Volunteered as a medical scribe and medical assistant.
Shadowing: 100+ hours. Shadowed doctors in internal medicine, dermatology, and pediatrics.
Research: 300+ Hours. Did research on biomarkers that can be used to predict the prognosis of bone cancer.

I want to do a DIY Post Bacc but I don't think this will be enough to raise my science gpa past 3.0. I have taken so many classes that doing a DIY Post Bacc won't increase my science gpa by much.
I was thinking of doing an SMP with linkage and compiled a list below:

TouroCOM-NY
LECOM Health Science Post Bachelors
PCOM- Masters of Science in Biomedical Science
VCOM - Certificate Program
NSU-COM
Drexel-Pathway to Medical School
Not sure if NYIT-COM has an SMP?

Do I still have a shot at MD schools like the SUNY's or Howard?

@Goro @Faha

Members don't see this ad.

I did certificate program at VCOM and will be going to VCOM-Carolinas DO program in a month
Last year the program was a GCP, now it has become a Masters (12K more expensive)
But, IMO very much worth it, if you are willing to put in time and work in for a year

New York Resident

B.S in Biology

Clinical Volunteer Hours: 1000+ hours. Volunteered as a medical scribe and medical assistant.
Shadowing: 100+ hours. Shadowed doctors in internal medicine, dermatology, and pediatrics.
Research: 300+ Hours. Did research on biomarkers that can be used to predict the prognosis of bone cancer.

I want to do a DIY Post Bacc but I don't think this will be enough to raise my science gpa past 3.0. I have taken so many classes that doing a DIY Post Bacc won't increase my science gpa by much.

TouroCOM-NY
NSU-COM

@Goro @Faha
What are your EC’s like? State of residence? And can you apply disadvantaged?

Members don't see this ad :)
What are your EC’s like? State of residence? And can you apply disadvantaged?
I've been a medical scribe for 1.5 year, volunteered with a wound care doctor. 1000+ clinical volunteer hours.
Shadowed a dermatologist, pediatrician, and internal medicine doctor. I would love to shadow a DO.
My state of residence is New York..
Even if I applied disadvantage, wouldn't I have to get my science GPA past 3.0 so I won't get auto-screened out?

I've been a medical scribe for 1.5 year, volunteered with a wound care doctor. 1000+ clinical volunteer hours.
Shadowed a dermatologist, pediatrician, and internal medicine doctor. I would love to shadow a DO.
My state of residence is New York..
Even if I applied disadvantage, wouldn't I have to get my science GPA past 3.0 so I won't get auto-screened out?
There are other options out there for low stats. But by EC’s, I meant hobbies. What do you do for fun? What’s unique about you?

There are other options out there for low stats. But by EC’s, I meant hobbies. What do you do for fun? What’s unique about you?
For fun I volunteer at the ASPCA because I love animals, play tennis, and I write a fashion blog. (I don't think these EC's would be anything outstanding to admissions officers though.)

What other options do you suggest besides SMP and Post Bacc?

For fun I volunteer at the ASPCA because I love animals, play tennis, and I write a fashion blog. (I don't think these EC's would be anything outstanding to admissions officers though.)

What other options do you suggest besides SMP and Post Bacc?
I’ll PM you

New York Resident

B.S in Biology

TouroCOM-NY
NSU-COM

@Goro @Faha
It's not about raising your GPA anymore
It's about showing that the you of now is not the you of them.

Hence, read my post on reinvention for pre meds

Reactions: 1 user

I finished reading your post on pre-med students who need reinvention. How many credits/classes do you recommend taking per semester for the DIY Post Bac?
@Goro

Last edited:
I’m sorry, the sub 3.0 gpa unfortunately has closed many doors for you.

With kindness, please pray about other avenues to become a clinician!

The MD schools option is out of reach at this point. Be careful about Caribbean med schools.

Best of luck to you!!

I’m sorry, the sub 3.0 gpa unfortunately has closed many doors for you.

With kindness, please pray about other avenues to become a clinician!

The MD schools option is out of reach at this point. Be careful about Caribbean med schools.

Best of luck to you!!
What about DO schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
What about DO schools?
I think at a minimum to be competitive for DO schools you need a 3.2 GPA and a 500 MCAT
You need major GPA repair and we have no idea how your MCAT will turn out

You need to do an SMP type program to show you can take on the rigors of med school
I gave you my reccomendation on that above in an earlier post

I think at a minimum to be competitive for DO schools you need a 3.2 GPA and a 500 MCAT
You need major GPA repair and we have no idea how your MCAT will turn out

You need to do an SMP type program to show you can take on the rigors of med school
I gave you my reccomendation on that above in an earlier post
I've been looking into SMP's as well. So far I really like
Georgetown GEMS program
VCOM MA in Biomedical science
Rocky Vista- MSBS Program
PCOM - MSBS.

Personally I'm risk adverse and found SMPs too big of a gamble, 1 bad/average semester will sink you forever (or close enough). With a 2.6 sGPA do you really have that much confidence that you'll be able to pull off a stellar year? You haven't told us your GPA trend so maybe you do but keep in mind that "good enough to pass" for a current med student will not be good enough for you.

I started out with a sGPA similar to yours (and a much lower cGPA) and went the DIY postbacc route. I wouldn't plan on taking the MCAT next year and work on a multi-year plan, but that's just me.

Personally I'm risk adverse and found SMPs too big of a gamble, 1 bad/average semester will sink you forever (or close enough). With a 2.6 sGPA do you really have that much confidence that you'll be able to pull off a stellar year? You haven't told us your GPA trend so maybe you do but keep in mind that "good enough to pass" for a current med student will not be good enough for you.

I started out with a sGPA similar to yours (and a much lower cGPA) and went the DIY postbacc route. I wouldn't plan on taking the MCAT next year and work on a multi-year plan, but that's just me.
Thank you for your advise. After doing the DIY post bac, did you get into med school?

Thank you for your advise. After doing the DIY post bac, did you get into med school?

No, I pulled a "Catch Me If You Can" :p

If I had an unsuccessful application year after doing a multi-year postbacc, my plan was to then do a SMP but it didn't come to that. It also helped that I had a career that I was relatively happy and successful with so I wasn't in that much of a hurry to get in to med school.

I've been looking into SMP's as well. So far I really like
Georgetown GEMS program
VCOM MA in Biomedical science
Rocky Vista- MSBS Program
PCOM - MSBS.
VCOM is the only auto-acceptance with benchmarks yet (no brainer when I had to decide)
Other ones only promises an interview...

New York Resident

B.S in Biology

TouroCOM-NY
NSU-COM

@Goro @Faha
TouroCOM NY also had a guaranteed linkage from their MS program. You have to have a 3.45. It’s not easy but doable.

Really is too bad DO schools don’t do grade replacement anymore.

As others have said, that GPA has to rise above a 3.0. SMP would prolly be the best bet, but I doubt there are SMPs that would accept someone with 2.8 GPA and below.

If this were me, I would do a 2 year long do it yourself post bacc of hard heavy sciences (micro, immune, anatomy, physio, etc) to raise my GPA to as close as 3.0 as possible, then take the MCAT. If I scored well, I’d move on to see what kind of SMP options were available that have direct linkages to MD or DO schools.

I would also look into alternative career paths in case this doesn’t work out. Pharmacy I believe accepts people with 2.7 GPA, and you are not far off science wise.

Also, Podiatry (DPM) at one of the larger schools may be an option if you score a 495+ on your MCAT. It’s going to be the closest to MD/DO you are gonna get for alternative paths.

Dentistry is prolly out of reach at this point.

Optometry seems like a long shot, but if you do well on the OAT, I could see a school taking a chance on you

Nursing is always an option as well.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

@Goro
Do medical schools look down upon applicants who do their DIY post bac and pre-requesite retakes at a community college because of financial reasons?

@Goro
Do medical schools look down upon applicants who do their DIY post bac and pre-requesite retakes at a community college because of financial reasons?
Some schools are more forgiving than others. I don't know which ones they are, alas. The take home here is that you have to apply with the app you have, warts and all.

IF one is too worried about any potential CC stigma, my advice is to work for a few years, save some money, and then do Post--bac or SMP full time.

Reactions: 1 users
hello, question what is the best Post bacc for me? cgpa 2.3. mcat515. need help plz

@Goro
Do you think the Georgetown GEMS Program will be a good fit for me?
The average science GPA for the accepted GEMs class of 2017-2018 was 2.59 and for the class of 2018-2019 the average science gpa for accepted students was 2.72

Direct Quote from the Georgetown GEMS website:
"The GEMS Program is a one year, non-degree, post-baccalaureate program designed to equip under-represented and disadvantaged students for success in medical education."

"The GEMS curriculum provides students from under-represented and disadvantaged backgrounds an opportunity to demonstrate competency in selected portions of the medical school curriculum while simultaneous enriching academic skills and learning strategies essential to success in medical education. GEMS students who competitive complete the post-baccalaureate program may be considered for interview at Georgetown School of Medicine, and if admitted, will complete the entire Journey’s curriculum without exemption from any course or elective."

@Goro
Do you think the Georgetown GEMS Program will be a good fit for me?
The average science GPA for the accepted GEMs class of 2017-2018 was 2.59 and for the class of 2018-2019 the average science gpa for accepted students was 2.72

Direct Quote from the Georgetown GEMS website:
"The GEMS Program is a one year, non-degree, post-baccalaureate program designed to equip under-represented and disadvantaged students for success in medical education."

"The GEMS curriculum provides students from under-represented and disadvantaged backgrounds an opportunity to demonstrate competency in selected portions of the medical school curriculum while simultaneous enriching academic skills and learning strategies essential to success in medical education. GEMS students who competitive complete the post-baccalaureate program may be considered for interview at Georgetown School of Medicine, and if admitted, will complete the entire Journey’s curriculum without exemption from any course or elective."
I can't comment on individual programs. I've certainly interviewed a decent number of Gtown SMP grads, but I have no recollection how they did in interviews of if they came here.

For what it’s worth, West Liberty has linkage with WVSOM. Guaranteed acceptance if you get a 3.4 GPA in their program and have a 495 MCAT. Idk what their minimum entrance GPA to the program is though

For what it’s worth, West Liberty has linkage with WVSOM. Guaranteed acceptance if you get a 3.4 GPA in their program and have a 495 MCAT. Idk what their minimum entrance GPA to the program is though
The gpa requirement to apply to the program is 3.0 overall gpa and 2.8 science gpa.
The gpa requirement for guaranteed admission is 3.2 undergraduate and 3.0 science gpa.
You have to score at least a 495 on the MCAT and obtain a 3.4 gpa in the program to be guaranteed admission according to the website.

Last edited:
The gpa requirement to apply to the program is 3.0 overall gpa and 2.8 science gpa.
The gpa requirement for guaranteed admission is 3.2 undergraduate and 3.0 science gpa.
You have to score at least a 495 on the MCAT and obtain a 3.4 gpa in the program to be guaranteed admission according to the website.
Oh that sucks, guess I didn’t read the “fine print”